Basal Bolus Questions!

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’m still finding my feet with this Basal Bolus regime.
Does anyone know if your Insulin to Carb ratio changes throughout the day?
I’ve been using the basis of 10g Carbs to 1 unit, but find if I want to eat breakfast, I have to increase this ratio, but I don’t seem to have to increase for lunch or Dinner.
If I don’t eat breakfast, then I still have to inject Novo rapid as my sugars go high from 5am onwards! They remain stable through the night so it’s been suggested that my basal dose is correct.
Also does anyone know if lady hormones affect your sugars as I’m due on shortly and my Blood Sugars the last couple of days have been a rollercoaster ranging between 3 up to 19.

Reactions: Antje77

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know if your Insulin to Carb ratio changes throughout the day?

For many yes it can, my ratios change depending on time of day, I need more in the morning per carb than later in the day (my ratios are 1:5 at breakfast, 1:7 at lunchtime and 1:85 at dinner - this was found out through much trial and error as everyone is different so those are not suggestions

If I don’t eat breakfast, then I still have to inject Novo rapid as my sugars go high from 5am onwards! They remain stable through the night so it’s been suggested that my basal dose is correct.
Dawn phenomenon or foot on the floor or both can cause problems like this, also a well known issue for many, my dawn phenomenon is very aggressive so that how I ended up with a pump (it starts at about 3am for me). Basically its when you body is getting ready for the day and gives boost of sugar to get you going, problem is we cant deal with it whereas non-diabetics can

Also does anyone know if lady hormones affect your sugars as I’m due on shortly and my Blood Sugars the last couple of days have been a rollercoaster ranging between 3 up to 19.
Yep also a well known problem I'm afraid

And yes just to throw another spanner in the works: temperature can make a difference - and I don't mean the insulins temperature, I mean the ambient temperature of where you are, I need less insulin when its hotter like it is now

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for coming back to me.
I didn’t know that heat affected insulin levels, I guess the last few days have been double whammy then! Lol
Sounds like I’ve got lots of experimenting to do with my doses, when I eat and what I eat.

Sometimes I wish I didn’t have diabetes and I try and kid myself I don’t have it and wonder what would happen if I didn’t take any medication, but I know I’d become very ill, my recent readings have shown me that. I just need to finally accept it and move on with living life to the full as best as I can.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Urghhh dawn phenom drives me crazy, it’s literally impossible for me to avoid, I was actually considering setting my alarm for an hour before my alarm goes off for real to inject in the dark and fool myself into believing it’s not really morning.

I have tried not taking meds, it Dosent work.

good luck with it all

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for coming back to me.
I didn’t know that heat affected insulin levels, I guess the last few days have been double whammy then! Lol
Sounds like I’ve got lots of experimenting to do with my doses, when I eat and what I eat.
Heat doesn't affect everyone though. Experimentation is the key!

Sometimes I wish I didn’t have diabetes and I try and kid myself I don’t have it and wonder what would happen if I didn’t take any medication, but I know I’d become very ill, my recent readings have shown me that. I just need to finally accept it and move on with living life to the full as best as I can.
I've never thought that, but I've had it for such a long time, it's just the way life is. I realise for those who are older when diagnosed it will come as a shock, but there's no reason why it can't be well controlled (there is less thought required as time goes on, it becomes instinctive most of the time) and tbh really have very little effect on how you live your life and what you can do. Good luck :)

Reactions: jar16 and Antje77

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Unfortunately this is the fickle way of diabetes , I and many others I presume find that if you were to eat exactly the same thing at the same time every day the results maybe different , it’s frustrating but over time we do find a way that works for us all , diabetes for me any way is about experimentation and experience which actually comes from the experimentation don’t be afraid to try and find things which work for you ,

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin to carb ratios can definitely vary throughout the day. I need about double the insulin at breakfast than I do at dinner.

Hormones also affect blood sugar levels, but they affect everyone differently..My insulin needs can be +/-30% of my average depending on the time of the month I'm in. I usually need more insulin just before my period starts and less just before I ovulate.