Basal buildup on a pump

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I seem to go low during late afternoon early evening between around 4.30-7pm. Now I take quite a lot of basal up till 2pm then very little for the rest of the day.

Is it possible that there could be a basal build up during the start of the day that effects me around 4.30, or is it solely the amount I start taking at 2pm onwards

Hope that makes some sense

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Depends how long insulin is acting in your body...

If you have had no food prior for 5 hours prior to that time at all and you are still going low then it would be enough to assume that your basals are still not low enough...
However if you are eating within 5 hours of those timings it could be a knock on that your insulin is acting longer than you think...with your bolus's especially.

It depends whether you are doing any corrections during anytime up to the 5 hours (could even be longer) before the onset of lower levels.

Have you pinpointed 4.30 exactly as the start?? Have you tested at 4pm, 3.30pm, 3pm on different days just to check its 4.30 when the lows start?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sounds as if you need to look at the 2pm basal rate. IE. drop it a tad.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sounds as if you need to look at the 2pm basal rate. IE. drop it a tad.

Is there a visible drop at 4.30 only and levels then stay level low? Or are you slightly dropping down prior to 4.30 and then staying down??

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am doing basal testing, so would have last eaten and bolused at 9am, nothing till 7pm

I start going low at around 4.30 and continue to gradually drop till round 6.30-7pm I end up around 3.9

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I am doing basal testing, so would have last eaten and bolused at 9am, nothing till 7pm

I start going low at around 4.30 and continue to gradually drop till round 6.30-7pm I end up around 3.9
well look at the 2pm slot to stop the drop before it starts and look at all time slots at around the 4.30 mark to stop the hypo at 7pm.

Reactions: 2 people