Basal dosing when travelling abroad - Help plz

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey folks,

Quick question on basal dosing when travelling abroad.

So i am due to fly to Los Angels in a couple of weeks and wanted to know how to take my basal. Currently I take 2 basal shots one at 9:30am13u and one at 9:30pm 11u.

My flight times are:
  • Depart UK 10:30am UK time
  • Arrive LA 1:55 LA time
I’m thinking take first basal 9:30am shot as normal THEN at 9:30pm UK time(in flight) take 50% of the usual pm UK basal amount and then at 9:30pm US time take the usual 11u of the basal.

Does this sound about right?

Also what about the return flight?
My flight times are:
  • Depart LA 7:30pm LA time
  • Arrive UK 1:10 UK time
Thanks

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
It's good you're thinking 50%. I needed to halve my basal for my entire week-long trip to Australia. On my DAFNE course, they suggested this would happen so I was prepared even though a little sceptical. It would be good to do a carb-free meal to check your basal a day after you arrive.
So I'm thinking if you take basal at 1.30 pm LA time then 8 hours later at 9.30 pm LA time it may be too much. So I'd set an alarm overnight 4 hours after taking it if I didn't have an MM & Libre or halve my 9.30 pm LA time dose.

Last edited:

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember a few years back we flew through a few time zones to get to La Paz
I kept my watch on gmt and jabbed as normal . When we got there we were only a couple of hours differant so i worked to my watch and time ! It sounds wrong but it worked