Basal double injecting?

Peter A Jones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there. I've been T1d for many years now, and use basal penfill cartridges. When I get toward the end of a cartridge there are always a few units left short of a full dose which I discard. But sometimes this could be almost the same amount as a full dose, so disposal feels rather wasteful. What do other people do, do you just dispose of it, or is it possible to use whatever's left and top it up with a second injection up to full dose level? If you double inject would you try to put the second close to the first or does it not make a difference?
I'm just curious........

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
My insulin stops working before I finish a vial.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What do other people do, do you just dispose of it, or is it possible to use whatever's left and top it up with a second injection up to full dose level?
I usually top it up with a second injection. Doesn't make a difference injecting close to the first or not :)

There's even more insulin in the penfill, which you can get out by dropping a small pen needle cap in the penfill. Make sure the plunger hits the cap and insulin comes out of your needle before injecting, and there's your emergency 20 units when you've forgotten to bring a new penfill :)