• Start Date

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do ask the nurse to prescribe a meter and strips that recommend the bolus's for carbs and corrections.
The accuchek expert one is the same as the combo pump handset.
My friendly man at Accuhek had no problems sending me one free of charge when I told him I was coming off the pump. I mentioned to nurse at my practice and she was ok with me continuing with the same strips.
Emphasise that bolusing and corrections are a lot more accurate when using the meter than flafging around working out in your head....

Lovely to hear that you are thinking of a baby... Important though that you get that hna1c back down. I know you can do it.. You mastered the pump now you can go back to mastering the MDI..

Always here for you.
Sx

iHs

Get yr Combo pump working again Nicola if ur ok with infusion sets and absorbtion and get those Aviva strips again so that you can use it safely.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Get yr Combo pump working again Nicola if ur ok with infusion sets and absorbtion and get those Aviva strips again so that you can use it safely.

I think this depends upon the reasons for individuals to have to consider going back to MDI.....

I certainly will not judge or pre empt anymore that the pump is the best solution for every person.

It depends upon individual life's and circumstances whether a pump is the best solution.

Nicola is not following me because I have come off my pump. I did not realise that she had made that decision. If she finds it easier and manageable on injections for whatever reason(s) then she deserves as much support as possible to help her with her chosen preference.

If Nicola decides to go back to pump at least she has it there.. But a holiday from ut cannot be condemned.

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

I think this depends upon the reasons for individuals to have to consider going back to MDI.....

I certainly will not judge or pre empt anymore that the pump is the best solution for every person.

It depends upon individual life's and circumstances whether a pump is the best solution.

Nicola is not following me because I have come off my pump. I did not realise that she had made that decision. If she finds it easier and manageable on injections for whatever reason(s) then she deserves as much support as possible to help her with her chosen preference.

If Nicola decides to go back to pump at least she has it there.. But a holiday from ut cannot be condemned.

Yes I agree as well.

Nicola if you have an iPhone, I think there are some bolus wizard apps that you can download but it will mean transferring the bg meter reading over to the app and using a bolus wizard that way. There a few bolus wizard apps that have been created by foru
Members....SpotOn is one and there's another one that will take into account IOB.

unless you start to use yr Combo again though, I don't think you will be able to get yr GP to prescribe Aviva strips as they are far more expensive than Glucomen. The best way is to see yr D consultant and either start the pump again or see if you can have cgm once you get pregnant.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I Forgot the apps on phone.. Thats good thinking!!! Will help a lot...

Don't give up on getting expert and strips.. My gp still happy for me to have them despite others being given their standard issue machine and strips. I know of another T1 with our practice that has also remained with his strips and machine.

Its being able to state the benefits of working out corrections and bolus's that swing the GPs in to allowing T1's to keep their strips.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since coming off the pump I have found I can get best control with the method I was told to do when I was diagnosed in 2001. It's not ideal though as you have to be strict and eat on time. It works for me though and I feel so much better off the pump. The infusion sets would no longer work for me and insulin was not absorbing.

I take Humalog 4 times a day with each meal, I eat 4 times, smaller meals as I have digestive issues and I get lots of reflux and bloating and what not. Then at 8pm each night I have levemir to see me through the night. I have extra humalog at each meal to cover the lack of basal in the day. It works for me and so much happier without the pump, esp the stupid 640g pump they gave me which is huge and awful.

I had the combo, I loved that. Have used a pump for 10 years but the infusion sets and I just wasn't working out!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Same as me with my infusion sets and me after 5 years.

I must admit though I have found total freedom from being disconnected from a 24/7/365 machine to be the most empowering that I have ever felt in 30+ years diabetes. Without realising it I see myself now as the same as anybody else. I didn't feel this way with the pump-although I didn't realise it until I have come off it.

I know Nicola does eat more regularly than myself so this may be an insulin regime option for her to look at doing.

What happens when you getup late though or skip a meal for some reason?

I know I'm odd only having one meal a day so I effecively basal test every day so can easily see if I'm coming down with stomach problems as my levels will start to climb. My question is then with your option of injecting would I assume that you never do a basal test?

Reactions: 5 people

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the basal at 8pm keeps me level til 10am then i start to rise. the latest i ever get up is 8.30am so it's ok, bit of flexibility. if i skip a meal, rarely do, i always get hungry same time each day, eat same sort of thing, but if i skip i inject 2 or 2.5units to cover me til my next meal is due.

doesnt suit everyone but i thrive on routine and so being very strict is ok for me. i'd rather be strict with my eating times than suffer on with the pump, having such better blood helps me to carry on.

i love the freedom from the pump. esp sleeping and going to the loo and not having tubes and stuff

Reactions: 4 people

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
basal test at night, and no, not in the day. i test 2hrs post eating to make sure i am not spiking too much and don't seem to. i prebolus breakfast, lunch but not dinner and snack at work as i am active so dont need to and need much less insulin

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

@ohitsnicola If you want to start trying for a baby, also ask the GP for folic acid as the sooner you start taking it the better.
I tried 400mg of folic acid a couple of weeks back I think it was 400 will have to check the bottle but it made me feel really ill! :S but I now have these shakes which have about 31 vitamins in them folic acid being one of them!

D

Deleted member 83869

I Forgot the apps on phone.. Thats good thinking!!! Will help a lot...

Don't give up on getting expert and strips.. My gp still happy for me to have them despite others being given their standard issue machine and strips. I know of another T1 with our practice that has also remained with his strips and machine.

Its being able to state the benefits of working out corrections and bolus's that swing the GPs in to allowing T1's to keep their strips.
They've never said they won't give me the strips it's just since this new nurse has been there she wanted to try the gluconexus one! I've got the iBG star app at the moment and use that for my averages! X

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good....in which case you could always speak to the nice guy at Accuchek pumpline and tell him you're having a "rest" from pump and would be soooo appreciative if you could have an expert. (Could add in that I recommended...etc)...

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Good....in which case you could always speak to the nice guy at Accuchek pumpline and tell him you're having a "rest" from pump and would be soooo appreciative if you could have an expert. (Could add in that I recommended...etc)...
How do I get hold of him though?