Basal Into Capillary

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve seen somebody post about this before but can’t find the post. Am I in for a long night of dextrose and cola if I hit a capillary with my Toujeo injection. Quite a bit of blood came out and it bloody hurt. Please say “don’t be daft everything will be fine”.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't heard of any horror stories with hitting capillaries and god knows I've hit many with my Novo, if a vein or straight into muscle then yeah I've heard a few stories xx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Don't put the order for cola in. You probably went through it hence the blood. I do it regularly.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sounds like you had the spectacular bad luck to hit a capillary as well as a nerve. Ouch! But seriously, it shouldn’t be an issue, but maybe set alarm for a few hours time to check if it makes you feel a bit more confident to go to sleep tonight.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I did a few on injections @mountaintom they hurt and were a bit messy but no issue :)

Reactions: mountaintom

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had serious problems with Lantus (close cousin to Toujeo), but if you're not passed out by now, everything's fine! Check your bg once more, and if it is close to what you expect, nothing bad happened, no worries!

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't heard of any horror stories with hitting capillaries and god knows I've hit many with my Novo, if a vein or straight into muscle then yeah I've heard a few stories xx

Can you tell me some? :)

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had serious problems with Lantus (close cousin to Toujeo), but if you're not passed out by now, everything's fine! Check your bg once more, and if it is close to what you expect, nothing bad happened, no worries!

I’m not passed out but it’s coming down pretty fast. However, I did have a few different hits of Novorapid with dinner and after dinner for 0% beers I was drinking. It could be the Novorapid.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not passed out but it’s coming down pretty fast. However, I did have a few different hits of Novorapid with dinner and after dinner for 0% beers I was drinking. It could be the Novorapid.
Well, I can only speak for what Lantus did to me, and there wasn't any doubt almost two hours after injecting. It made me drop like a brick within 15 minutes, I stuffed sugar like mad, sweated, undressed, turned on the fan and woke up two hours later, still hypo, laying naked in front of the fan. So whatever is happening to you, it doesn't sound like a 'Lantus low'. So either Toujeo is friendlier when hitting a vein, or you just hit a vein but didn't inject into it. I would test again and go to sleep if I were you, if in doubt, after a bit of food.
Let us know how you got on, please!

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys.
Two hours after injecting it hit? Ok. I’ll stay up a bit longer and eat some bread.
We’ve just got a new dog and he’s howling like mad so even if I wanted to sleep I don’t think I could.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Two hours after injecting it hit?
No, no, don't worry! It hit within 15 minutes, it took me 2 hours to wake up again after drinking about half a bottle of undiluted lemaonade! I don't want to think about what would have happened if I didn't manage to drink the lemonade before passing out.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We’ve just got a new dog and he’s howling like mad so even if I wanted to sleep I don’t think I could.
As long as you don't feel safe to sleep (I think you are), please cuddle the new dog from me! And maybe post a picture? Or is it a watch-dog that has to get used to sleeping alone?

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as you don't feel safe to sleep (I think you are), please cuddle the new dog from me! And maybe post a picture? Or is it a watch-dog that has to get used to sleeping alone?

Haha. He’s actually used to being outside in a kennel and we’ve rehomed him so he’s in the potting shed that joins onto the house. I think we’ll be buying a kennel tomorrow so he can patrol outside and keep the deer and foxes away! Poor lad is having a tough week - he’s going for the snip on Friday as well (He’s the grey one). Still howling now.
IMG_7708.jpg

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, no, don't worry! It hit within 15 minutes, it took me 2 hours to wake up again after drinking about half a bottle of undiluted lemaonade! I don't want to think about what would have happened if I didn't manage to drink the lemonade before passing out.

Phew. That’s some story to live to tell. Shame I just ate two toasting waffles.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha. He’s actually used to being outside in a kennel and we’ve rehomed him so he’s in the potting shed that joins onto the house. I think we’ll be buying a kennel tomorrow so he can patrol outside and keep the deer and foxes away! Poor lad is having a tough week - he’s going for the snip on Friday as well (He’s the grey one). Still howling now. View attachment 26876
He looks wonderful, and hopefully the howling will cease in the next few days. Looks like he's got good company as well :)
Wish him luck next friday!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found (using 12mm tips) when I've bled and hit a nerve that I'm more likely to wake high, I've not bled since changing to 4mm tips and have never had a quick surge of insulin from doing it in the past.
Good luck :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mountaintom , offering my empathy...

Been there myself with the basal.. (Not sure what happened.) keep testing... (No need to tell you that.)

In the meantime.. My hound. Recently shaved like a weasel. (Normally looks like Dougle from the magic roundabout.)

image.jpeg