Basal-IQ

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Tandem T:Slim X2 pump was (finally) updated to get readings from my G6 CGM.
This includes Basal-IQ Tandem's predictive low suspend feature. The red bands show insulin suspended.
Basal IQ 9 Oct.jpg

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@DunePlodder That's a nice bit of kit ;) Very useful to have this loaded onto one device too.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What's really cool about this is seeing your insulin on board and knowing your ok at 4.7, if you saw this on a meter you would more than likely take some carbs on board. Lovely stable reading, hope the rest of your day flat lines about there too ;)

Reactions: LizzieNI

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's really cool about this is seeing your insulin on board and knowing your ok at 4.7, if you saw this on a meter you would more than likely take some carbs on board. Lovely stable reading, hope the rest of your day flat lines about there too ;)
Yes, I am learning when I can trust it to do this. If there is insulin on board you have to be careful. It can't cope with everything but if you do go low it will have at least reduced the severity of the low.

Reactions: LizzieNI and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It does take a while to build trust in these things, we are of course relying on the fact that the information is correct and at that, it's always best to trust your instincts. I've reduced my instances of 'really' low events on the G6 as I can catch them in time now, i've set my alert at 4.8 as I find I can drop quite quickly from this to hypo so it gives me some time to either disconnect the pump, set up a temp basal or eat carbs, as with anything though it's infallible so chuck in a bit of stress, exercise, or an incorrect bolus calculation and the whole thing can go belly up :confused:

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it's totally dependent on good CGM readings. I disabled Basal IQ for the first 24 hours after changing my sensor.
Prior to this my Dexcom alarm was similar to yours. For the same reason I think it would be good if there was an option to change the Basal IQ target level to perhaps 5.0 rather than 4.4. Unfortunately it's fixed.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
I am getting my t:slim in a few weeks.
I did not know that the Basal IQ target was fixed. I set my target on x:drip to 6.0.
Do you mean that the pump will be trying to keep you at 4.4, or do you actually mean that it shuts off insulin delivery at 4.4?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am getting my t:slim in a few weeks.
I did not know that the Basal IQ target was fixed. I set my target on x:drip to 6.0.
Do you mean that the pump will be trying to keep you at 4.4, or do you actually mean that it shuts off insulin delivery at 4.4?
The algorithm is pretty simple. If it predicts that you will fall below 4.4 in the next 30 minutes it suspends all insulin delivery. As soon as blood sugars rise at all it resumes delivery. Your target is irrelevant as far as Basal IQ is concerned.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Interesting - the G6 is tempting, looking to the future for me. Not entirely sure it's approved in Aus yet but I do like the idea of less calibrating and real time stats from the CGM. I'm assuming it's not reading ISF to give pretty much live levels? I like the look of the t:slim pump too. Is it a bit smaller than the 670g?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Dexcom G6 still doesn't read true live blood sugar levels but I think they've tweaked the algorithm to reduce the lag. For much of it's life I don't do any calibrations, though I do at least one check blood test each day.
The T:Slim X2 is significantly smaller than the 670G.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
My bad, I thought I read it was live, but it actually read as :

Live Data Sharing Yes – high/low alerts and current glucose level/trend

Which led me to interpret live data sharing and current glucose level as a more accurate method.

So it "shares" live data but doesn't mean it's a live reading of your level. It confused my as I'm assuming it's working in ISF which is always going to be poorer cousin to blood sugar reading - it just seems the new G6 has closed the gap somewhat.

Did you previously have a Medtronic pump? Just wondering how you feel they compare. I'm sure in 3 years time when I can upgrade / change systems, things may have improved.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@aphex2k No, this is my first pump, but I've been using Dexcoms for 5 years or so.
There are a lot of developments coming up in the next couple of years. Tandem will have Control-IQ, the full closed loop, Tidepool will have a loop based on the DIY APS algorithm & working with Omnipods. Medtronic will have the follow up to your 670G by then too.
@Capt-Slog For more details on Basal IQ take a look at:
https://www.airliquidehealthcare.co.uk/file/1331/download?token=ivBcDSmH
There's the predictive aspec as described above plus it suspends if BGs are 3.9 or less.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
DunePlodder, thank you SOOO much for sending me the link to that t:slim X2 Patient Training Module.
I get my X2 on Friday the 25th and i am so excited about it.

I am very interested in the Basal IQ, but at the moment i am using a MiaoMiao and Libre combo.
I was thinking about signing up for the G6 starter pack.
A LOT of people say that it is seriously better than the Libre.

As the 25th is my pump "training" day, would you, personally, recommend getting a G6 kit asap, to see how the pump integrates?
Or would you say it was better to get used to the pump on its own for a while?

Another question (sorry). Have you ever used your G6 with the xDrip+ app?
I love xDrip for the MiaoMiao. My only complaint is that sometimes to MM loses connection. Not often.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Capt-Slog It may be better to get used to the pump without the G6. I had to because the G6 update didn't come out until September 30th.
Having said that I would definitelyrecommend moving to the G6 before too long. In the meantime your MiaoMiao will be invaluable for getting your pump settings adjusted. My initial basal settings were too high (much less than Humalog/Levemir MDI) & I was very glad of the alarms on the Dexcom.
I haven't used the Libre so can't compare.

Yes, I've used the G6 with xDrip+ for a long time, & the G4 before that. I occasionally lose the signal but not often & xDrip+ is superb.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Thanks for the advice. Can't begin to tell you how useful it is to have someone to talk to that has actually got the pump/CGM that i want. There doesn't seem to be a lot of X2 users around on the forum.
Do you know of many others?

ALL of the other users that are going to be in my "pump group" have chosen the Omnipod.
I don't know what their reasons were, but i am hoping to find out.
I do know that i am convinced about my own personal reasons.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are quite a few around the country but I'm the only X2 user at my hospital. I haven't come across any yet on this forum.
There is a British Facebook group:
Tandem t:slim Insulin Pump UK
And a much larger American Facebook group:
Tandem tSlim Pump
Both worth joining.

boxing

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the advice. Can't begin to tell you how useful it is to have someone to talk to that has actually got the pump/CGM that i want. There doesn't seem to be a lot of X2 users around on the forum.
Do you know of many others?

ALL of the other users that are going to be in my "pump group" have chosen the Omnipod.
I don't know what their reasons were, but i am hoping to find out.
I do know that i am convinced about my own personal reasons.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Meanwhile in the Antipodes, the basal IQ is a figment of the imagination and the rumour mill - a brain implant upgrade travelling in the ether somewhere !

Reactions: aphex2k

boxing

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the tandem basal IQ for about 3 months now Before I was on the tandem t2 and then they swapped me over It is a great pump and readings are very accurate together with the g6. The only problem I experienced is if the dexcom g6 is on my left side of my body and I carry the pump on my belt clip on the right side, I tend to lose signal I have never been comfortable wearing the pump on my left. Enjoy using your new pump