Basal Needs may need massive increase

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have had some issues with my blood levels over the last couple of weeks. I am one year diagnosed, really good control mostly from very low carb etc, but have added in some extra carbs since doing DAFNE about a month ago. Now, I have begun to see big increases of basal needed over night in order to keep it anywhere close to stable.

Two weeks ago - Levimir morning and night
Morning - 6 Units
Night - 9 Units

Now
Morning - 8 Units
Night - 14 units (only just seems to keep it stable, need to check again tonight)

I have seen today actually that post lunch, which was very low carb, my levels are at 10.4 some 3 hours after eating, and have need 4 units where before I would only need 1 at most for this meal.

I am thinking that my morning time may actually be causing issues at 2am also, where the night time may not have kicked in fully and the mornings insulin has stopped a few hours before? Thinking of adjusting to 9 Units in the morning and keeping it at 14 Units at night to see how I go.

I wonder if my honeymoon period has ended (if I have had it) or the change in weather may have effected me. Weirdly, it's since I did DAFNE that my results have been not as good. I'll get there, just wondering have others seen this

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @JoeT1

It could be any of these factors you’ve mentioned, basal rates can change over time as well as with illness, stress, weight, exercise, all of this would of been covered in your course. I find as soon as we hit the colder months my ratios increase too.

With any adjustments give it a few days to settle in, ideally 4 so you don’t swing the other way.

Also to check your insulin too just in case you have a bad batch try changing your pen also.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I blame DAFNE:). It could be any or a mix of things you are suspicious of. Hopefully things will settle down, otherwise join most of us here, we tend to bounce all over the place for no real good reason. Once you become a bit more experienced with bouncing all over the place start looking at getting a pump. It makes it easier to follow the bouncing ball.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My basal needs, Lantus, change steadily over the year depending on circumstance.

This year, I started on 18units in the evening and now in october I'm down to 8 units. I've kept up a regular walking regime this year covering around ten to twelve miles a day in 3 walks. Change in temperature also affects dosage and I expect my needs to increase as it gets colder.

As juicyj says, the main thing to remember is that changes should be small and be allowed to take effect. If my records show I'm waking up higher over a week, then I'll add a unit and monitor for another week before adjusting again.

It's a moving target, I'm afraid, but it shows the value of good record keeping to spot trends. Good Luck.