Basal requirement has doubled in 3 months. Is this normal?

Jon Mors

My child's daily basal requirements have doubled from 15 to 30 units over the course of three months. This seems quite a lot compared to her body weight (35 kg) and I'm a bit alarmed about how quickly the requirement has increased. Yet, her sugar levels often take off during the night and are difficult to control. Should I keep increasing it until the sugar stabilises? There have been no changes in level of activity or anything else. Is this normal; has anybody else had a similar experience?

JGibbons

Hi,

I have had issues during the night and something called the Dawn Phenomenon. Your body releases hormones that raise the blood sugars to wake you up. This has only been an issue as an adult, so may not be the same.

I am sure you have contacted your Diabetic team and would recommend whatever they advise is probably the best course of action.

Basal can vary massively, I have been diabetic for 20+ years and mine is low.

Reactions: Ladybird1

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Hello - as @JGibbons says - basal requirements can go up and down (even with the weather changing) and dawn phenomenon is a thing

There is a thing called 'Honeymoon' period - when we are first diagnosed the pancreas is still producing some insulin - eventually this stops and we then need the full amount.

Best thing is to talk to your diabetes team and get advice - and be open to the options they suggest as there are lots of things that can help when someone understands the whole picture.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
I don't know how old your child is but assume that their basal needs would increase with age and size. And I hit puberty pre glucometer so have no idea whether this is an issue?

Honestly, your team will have the experience to answer this question. Good luck.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
my need for insulin has increased dramatically during puberty. In general, while the child is growing, this is expected both because of growth and because of hormonal restructuring of the body.

Jon Mors

Thanks all. She is 12 so puberty will hit soon. Is 30 units per day common at this age?

We don't find our diabetes team very helpful. "things vary" is the type of response we get to our questions.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yet, her sugar levels often take off during the night and are difficult to control.
Have your diabetes team discussed an insulin pump with you and your daughter? A hybrid closed loop pump would give extra insulin to help control sugar levels.
Is 30 units per day common at this age?
Sorry I've got no idea, but personally before getting a HCL pump, I took what I needed to keep my sugar levels in range as much as I could, without worrying about the amount. Your daughter needs the amount she needs, no matter how much any other diabetic needs. We're all different.

Since getting the HCL it's amazing to see the difference in basal insulin given from one day to another.

Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. She is 12 so puberty will hit soon. Is 30 units per day common at this age?

We don't find our diabetes team very helpful. "things vary" is the type of response we get to our questions.
Yes, perfectly normal.
Just as normal as needing 10 units a day or 100 units a day at her age and weight.
"Things vary" is exactly how it is.

It really doesn't matter how much insulin she uses, she needs what she needs.

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Agree with @Antje77 - each of us needs whatever we need - no max or min.

I use about 54u per day (much older and low to mid carbs intake) - thats ok for me, anyone else even on the same lifestyle / diet could be more or less.