basal run out system

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey guys after your basal insulin has run out your system after how long normally does your sugar spike up?

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there, I haven't actually attempted this test, I assume once there is no basal or insulin at all in your body, your blood sugars rise hourly by on average 2-3mmol/l? Could be wrong, im not sure really. I dread my basal running out so I take my Glargine twice daily so it overlaps as it is about to run out, apparently it lasts 24 hours but we know that isn't true :p

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ok i ask because i have wierd diabetes im told im type 1 but when i have no basal my sugar stays flat i tryed pointing it out to the diabetic doctor but he is saying that he thinks my body is producing some insulin but i think its not and somthings else maybe not right i know i defo need insulin to cover food but trying understand and get a definate answer is very hard from doctor maybe i just have a wierd body

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
ok i ask because i have wierd diabetes im told im type 1 but when i have no basal my sugar stays flat i tryed pointing it out to the diabetic doctor but he is saying that he thinks my body is producing some insulin but i think its not and somthings else maybe not right i know i defo need insulin to cover food but trying understand and get a definate answer is very hard from doctor maybe i just have a wierd body
@static192 I think all of us T1s have weird bodies and we're all doing well to manage

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

There are no wierd questions my friend, a question is a question. How long have you been a type 1 diabetic? You could still be in the honeymoon period if your sugars remain at a steady level

What insulins are you on

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @static192 as a pump user, if my ‘basal’ stops then I start to rise immediately and will keep heading north fairly quickly too so have to take extra care if I have a pump failure against DKA.

If your not rising when your basal runs out then yes it would indicate your body is still producing some insulin - how long have you been diagnosed ?

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you guys wil laugh but for like 17 years iv had diabeted. i had extremly high sugars when i was admited to hospital was put on premixed humulin m3 and didnt do bad on it. on mdi and been trying to get my basal right and basal testing seems impossible

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow thats crazy! I thought you were newly diagnosed lol! Basal is a trial and error thing its easiest to adjust it during longer fasting periods because you know if its going to go up down or balance out without variation you get when and after eating

Maybe your basal just lasts longer in your system who knows! Dont complain about it if your sugars staying good but keep taking basal

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah i find it can drop

Its wierd that one, have your doctors said anything about why it might be the case? Been to see a diabetic doctor? Maybe your ultra sensitive to that basal insulin lol, do you take glargine or detemir?

anthill

This is why i split the Basel dose and take shots every 12 hours, i am about to see my Endo LOL after 12 years.
You would ask why 12 Years? I have an induced hernia, whare as i had a feeding tube inserted to my stomach so the abdominal wall didn't wanna heal so my Endo wanted to do the Mesh Operation.
OK that's getting off the subject.
I did the same by my last Endo, to take the one shot of the Basel, and found it start to fail after 18 hours or so. :( so much for a 24 hour insulin, now they have Basels for 50 hours!!!! a true one shot a day Basel and at U200 strength so a in a U100 syringe becomes sae 5U becomes 10U. :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
It is odd, I forgot to inject my basal dose last night and my BG was lower than when I went to bed