Basal testing...help

stacyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

I've been type 1 for 21 years, & overall I think my control is ok (last HbA1c 7.5). Obviously this isn't in the target range, so I'm keen to give myself a bit of an 'mot'.

From scrolling through posts on here, it seems a good place to start would be testing my basal levels, so can anyone give me some tips on the best way of doing this, ie is it best to do a whole 24hr period not eating, or to split it into smaller sections over a few days??

I'm not on a pump, I do twice daily Levemir & novorapid with meals.

Any help much appreciated
Stacy

Sent from my D6503 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi All

I've been type 1 for 21 years, & overall I think my control is ok (last HbA1c 7.5). Obviously this isn't in the target range, so I'm keen to give myself a bit of an 'mot'.

From scrolling through posts on here, it seems a good place to start would be testing my basal levels, so can anyone give me some tips on the best way of doing this, ie is it best to do a whole 24hr period not eating, or to split it into smaller sections over a few days??

I'm not on a pump, I do twice daily Levemir & novorapid with meals.

Any help much appreciated
Stacy

Sent from my D6503 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
This is a good guide and breaks out how to do it over different time periods: https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

The above link is very detailed. Following that, you will get a very good understanding of your fasting BGL and basal requirements.

**EDIT - Tim beat me to posting the link:)**

I chose the easier route - albeit more expensive - but I gained very positive results in a fairly short space of time. The Libre will provide graphs and trends without the need for repeated finger prick testing in the middle of the night, etc. The results, although not perfect, are a certain improvement from where I started. Now I'm no longer having morning rebound highs from night-time hypos. You can see from today's graph that I took around a unit too much of QA insulin to combat my DP. Tomorrow I will try 1u and I think that line will flatten out. I'm still adjusting but it's been a fairly quick process and the access to graphical data has helped ease the fine tuning. I'd highly recommend this system if you have some spare cash to hand.

Grant

Attachments

• Grant_2016_06_16.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Grant_2016_06_28.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: 2 people