Basal Testing

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ClaireCissie. I started on my pump on Tuesday. It looks like we've got the basal right for lunch times, but that's about it! I think it's going to take a good month to get things sorted, and then I will probably need to tweak again as I hope to lose weight and become more insulin sensitive. I don't think anyone gets to the stage where they never have to change their pump settings again, SO many factors can affect it.

Taking time off work sounds like a good idea though... I have mostly been okay but I am fed up of high blood sugars after three days, and I was quite teary at work today. Very glad it's the weekend!

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ClaireCissie. I started on my pump on Tuesday. It looks like we've got the basal right for lunch times, but that's about it! I think it's going to take a good month to get things sorted, and then I will probably need to tweak again as I hope to lose weight and become more insulin sensitive. I don't think anyone gets to the stage where they never have to change their pump settings again, SO many factors can affect it.

Taking time off work sounds like a good idea though... I have mostly been okay but I am fed up of high blood sugars after three days, and I was quite teary at work today. Very glad it's the weekend!
I had a lot of high BS at the start also but I'm getting there with the setup.
There is a lot of testing to be done and I would recommend people to take time off work but it is a personal thing.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Depends... If a weekday I will change if I've I'm expecting 5 days if the normal working.

Weekends are a total difference to me.. So I would not change a weekend basal going in to a Weekday.

I personally would be comparing weekday rates to weekday rates and weekends to weekends.

iHs

Hi

It does take time to get basal rates adjusted through frequent bg testing but once the rates are ok, you will still need to be prepared to adjust them from time to time (may be once a week?) as its one of the necessary evils involved in using a pump and getting the best out of it. Just make sure that you dont basal test every night as its not good to lose sleep for too many nights. If basal rates are too high during the night and you go low and your not sure how much to adjust by, then look at the basal rate adjustment table (google it) and eat some carb before going to bed on the nights you need to sleep and cant bg test.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

It does take time to get basal rates adjusted through frequent bg testing but once the rates are ok, you will still need to be prepared to adjust them from time to time (may be once a week?) as its one of the necessary evils involved in using a pump and getting the best out of it. Just make sure that you dont basal test every night as its not good to lose sleep for too many nights. If basal rates are too high during the night and you go low and your not sure how much to adjust by, then look at the basal rate adjustment table (google it) and eat some carb before going to bed on the nights you need to sleep and cant bg test.

@iHs I tried googling for the Basal Adjustment Table but wasn't really sure what the best link was.

Do you have a copy of the link you would recommend?