basel insuman no longer availble

1sthawkeye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told by my surgery that this insilin is no longer being made and I will be put onto another type. Is anyone else in the same posistion if so what have you been put on?

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
What insulin are you talking about ?

1sthawkeye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There have been supply problems for as long time. I had to wait nearly 4 weeks from my normal pharmacy to get hold of it (before Christmas, although another place got hold of it in a few days).

This is the only insulin that I am on and my type 2 is well controlled by it, along with a few tablets

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There have been supply problems for as long time. I had to wait nearly 4 weeks from my normal pharmacy to get hold of it (before Christmas, although another place got hold of it in a few days).

This is the only insulin that I am on and my type 2 is well controlled by it, along with a few tablets

This article from 2016 suggests humulin I (clearly supply issues have been around for some time)

But given the age of that article there are probably other options available.

If it's any consolation (probably not much), as an insulin user for 53 years I have been on many different types of insulin, and the changeovers have never been traumatic.

Good luck.

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

1sthawkeye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks EllieM, Not concerned as much at changing the insulin but how long it will be to get stabilized BS again