Batch cooking anyone else do it?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Mother’s Day to everyone,

I’ve spent my Mothers Day in the kitchen batch cooking for the freezer, so today I’ve made the following- all keto or very low carb most about 7g carb 4 portions of each, now in portions in the freezer, about 6 weeks of meals. Does anyone else do this? I find it keeps me focused and on track as I don’t have to think about it once my freezer is full, hubby and son eat very differently from me so makes meal times easier too

Fish pie
Lamb keema curry
Butter Chicken
Lamb Hot Pot
Beef Stroganoff
Sausage Bake
Italian Meatballs
Lasagne
Beef casserole
Chicken & Leek Pie
Chilli
Lebanese Chicken
Also a good few portions of Cauli Mash and roasted celeriac for sides when I need them

If you do this what kind of dishes do you make?

I’m now sitting with my feet up and a cup of tea and a bit of 85% choc whilst hubby makes a chicken dinner for tonight for Mothers Day, problem is I’m not that hungry after cooking all day lol

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I’ve spent my Mothers Day in the kitchen batch cooking for the freezer, so today I’ve made the following- all keto or very low carb most about 7g carb 4 portions of each, now in portions in the freezer, about 6 weeks of meals. Does anyone else do this? I find it keeps me focused and on track as I don’t have to think about it once my freezer is full, hubby and son eat very differently from me so makes meal times easier too

Fish pie
Lamb keema curry
Butter Chicken
Lamb Hot Pot
Beef Stroganoff
Sausage Bake
Italian Meatballs
Lasagne
Beef casserole
Chicken & Leek Pie
Chilli
Lebanese Chicken
Also a good few portions of Cauli Mash and roasted celeriac for sides when I need them

I’m now sitting with my feet up and a cup of tea and a bit of 85% choc whilst hubby makes a chicken dinner for tonight for Mothers Day, problem is I’m not that hungry after cooking all day lol
I don't but have considered it.

Sounds a delicious menu fur the next week or two ..nom nom nom

As a novice what concerns me most is the best way to defrost and cook.
A for safety
B to retain best flavour/texture

Any advice ?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak - I portion all mine into small metal takeaway type dishes I get from Amazon, then freeze them all down, I take what I want for next day out of the freezer in the morning let it defrost in the fridge until next day, depending how well it’s defrosted I may take it out of the fridge a couple of hours before I want it to bring it to room temp and make sure it’s fully defrosted.

Reheating, depending what it is, curries, chilli, meatballs and stews/casseroles, Cauli mash so the wetter stuff, things you can stir really, I just microwave usually for 3 or 4 minutes depending on your microwave, stir halfway through and rest a minute.

Things like fish pie, lasagne, sausage bake, hot pot I do for about 30 minutes in my air fryer first 20 minutes with foil wrapped around, last 10 minutes take foil of to brown the top or re-crisp it, you could do this in a normal oven of course. If you use plastic containers you can microwave these meals too

I have a kitchen thermometer I always use to check things are piping hot and have reached at least 70deg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak - I portion all mine into small metal takeaway type dishes I get from Amazon, then freeze them all down, I take what I want for next day out of the freezer in the morning let it defrost in the fridge until next day, depending how well it’s defrosted I may take it out of the fridge a couple of hours before I want it to bring it to room temp and make sure it’s fully defrosted.

Reheating, depending what it is, curries, chilli, meatballs and stews/casseroles, Cauli mash so the wetter stuff, things you can stir really, I just microwave usually for 3 or 4 minutes depending on your microwave, stir halfway through and rest a minute.

Things like fish pie, lasagne, sausage bake, hot pot I do for about 30 minutes in my air fryer first 20 minutes with foil wrapped around, last 10 minutes take foil of to brown the top or re-crisp it, you could do this in a normal oven of course. If you use plastic containers you can microwave these meals too

I have a kitchen thermometer I always use to check things are piping hot and have reached at least 70deg
Thank you for such a speedy response.

Have in the past cooked & froze some dishes.
But I either get squeamish it isn't properly thawed so get put off eating
Or
The thawing seems to affect the texture once again putting off eating.

Making the exercise in economies a massive failure.

I think I'll follow your advice and try again next week

Thanks once again. :cool:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t be put off, yes the texture can change slightly but as long as you defrost safely and make sure it reaches at least 70deg then it’s a perfectly safe way of cooking - let me know how you get on :)

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wish I was that organised
I usually roast a chicken on Sundays for salads for lunches, batch cook chilli & bolognaise, make soup in the soup maker, casseroles, coconut chicken curry all portioned into tubs & frozen, sometimes make an extra roast dinner for Monday night
Often make low carb bread or low carb banana & walnut bread, keeps in the fridge for about a week

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wish I was that organised
I usually roast a chicken on Sundays for salads for lunches, batch cook chilli & bolognaise, make soup in the soup maker, casseroles, coconut chicken curry all portioned into tubs & frozen, sometimes make an extra roast dinner for Monday night
Often make low carb bread or low carb banana & walnut bread, keeps in the fridge for about a week
Lol - it’s something I’ve been doing for a while as I got very jaded and lazy - didn’t eat carbs but would just have same thing over and over again- I don’t do it like this all the time, I usually make a couple of things a week, make 4 portions, eat one freeze the rest but my stock was getting low

Reactions: Aishia and jjraak

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's an impressive list for one day.

I sometimes batch cook savoury, but it more often takes the form of cooking 4 portions and freezing one as we are a family of 3. Or I do 6-or 8 portions in the slow cooker as its big.

I do however cook lc cakes and sweet bakes, usually in a 7 by 7" tin then cut them into 16 squares then freeze. Helps with portion control and means I have something there when wanted.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Fish pie
Lamb keema curry
Butter Chicken
Lamb Hot Pot
Beef Stroganoff
Sausage Bake
Italian Meatballs
Lasagne
Beef casserole
Chicken & Leek Pie
Chilli
Lebanese Chicken

Zucchini ( courgette) fritters to have underneath an egg for breakfast. I make lots while they are in season and freeze for months.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zucchini ( courgette) fritters to have underneath an egg for breakfast
Recipe please! I've been desperate to find something for under an egg and these may well be it. You could make me very happy!

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recipe please! I've been desperate to find something for under an egg and these may well be it. You could make me very happy!
I use the Once Upon a Chef recipe, zucchini fritters with feta and dill. I omit the flour, occasionally have added a bit of ground flax seed to bind, but not always, and put them in the freezer before cooking them. I’ve cooked them in an air fryer, a skillet and on the grill on a veggie sheet.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Once Upon a Chef recipe, zucchini fritters with feta and dill. I omit the flour, occasionally have added a bit of ground flax seed to bind, but not always, and put them in the freezer before cooking them. I’ve cooked them in an air fryer, a skillet and on the grill on a veggie sheet.
My other “ under an egg” favourite is a radish hash brown. Gnom Gnom website has one.

• Winner
Reactions: MrsA2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't freeze meals as I have sensitive taste buds and find that there is a distinct alteration in the flavour of the herbs and spices I use. I would have to cook without them then defrost, add and assemble the dish, so not really much of a time saving exercise - plus I'd have to have containers for the components and some way to keep the necessary items together in the freezer, so all a bit too much of a faff.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't freeze meals as I have sensitive taste buds and find that there is a distinct alteration in the flavour of the herbs and spices I use. I would have to cook without them then defrost, add and assemble the dish, so not really much of a time saving exercise - plus I'd have to have containers for the components and some way to keep the necessary items together in the freezer, so all a bit too much of a faff.
I have 3 of us to cook for all with different dietary requirements, none of us eat the same, it saves me loads of time and stressing. I have a freezer just for my stuff in the garage which I find really handy. I’m a chef by trade to making 40 plus meals in a day is an easy task for me but I do appreciate it can be a big task and a bit overwhelming for some.

I agree that freezing does change the taste and texture and having a chef’s palate I notice this too but it’s not enough to put me off freezing and making my life a lot easier.

I started because I was getting lazy with food for myself, my palate was very jaded and wasn’t eating properly, I have to count calories as well as carbs or I gain weight, I was eating far too much dairy such as cheese and butter and began gaining pounds. Have lost that weight and more now since doing it for 8 months.

We all have different ways of coping:)