Bayer Contour strips

ClaireG 06

Had to get an emergency prescription for strips as had to use a lot in hospital and only had one left. The hospital pharmacy only do accu check but managed to get a prescription from GP. Hubby has just been to the chemist and has been told that they and 3 other Llyods in other towns have none and that there are manufacturing problems with them. Anyone else heard this? Hubby is now going round the local chemists trying to track some down.

RussG

I use contour strips and I haven't heard this and I get quite a few strips at a time. I have had this with Freestyle and other people have had the same problem with other types. I think it has generally been a warehousing / wholesale issue, not manufacturing when I've seen it happen, although it has always been put as a problem with manufacturer. Trying other pharmacies is a good idea and you can always phone Bayer, who will a) tell you if there is a problem (which I doubt there is) and b) probably send you a couple of tubs.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Had that happen once up here with my contour strips could only give me one tub and taken a week to get more. They said it all depends on who your local pharmacy uses as a wholesaler. The one boots where using had run out. Got it from a lloyds though.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
A member posted about this sort of thing a while ago, if you are told your pharmacy is having problems with the manufacturer, i would strongly reccomend calling the manufacturer personally to ask if there are problems with your item being stocked in chemists.. they should tell you.

This way if you know asap if there will be problems for a while you could possibly sort out swapping temporarily so you still have regular access to strips without problem..

If your hospital only do accu-chek strips it may be worth while for you to also get a spare meter that takes those strips, this way in an emergency your not caught out if you have problems getting bayer ones?

ClaireG 06

Hubby got them in Boots in the end :D I can only get one pot of 50 at a time though on my prescription. Will try contacting Bayer to see if there is a problem.

Jgos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
being dependent
Why on Bayer ?? Freestyle works

moonstone

Yes I got told the same thing, managed to get 200 in the end but I'm meant to get 400 at a time - I have to go back at the end of the week to get the rest. Every now and then I get told there's a Contour 'drought' by my chemist.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well it's strange that people are having difficulty getting Contour Strips as I was told only last week that Accu-Chek are having problems also. I picked up my usual supply of 200 strips and the assistant behind the counter said that the strips were in short supply at the moment and this was nationwide problem, only got 150 strips and had to go back for the remaining 50.

Nigel

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I use accu-chek strips and picked up mt prescription of 200 yesterday, the pharmacy didn't say anything about any problems. strange... i can see the cubby hole for accu-check test strips too and it's usually crammed full.. Sometimes i have issues with them getting it ready in 3 working days so i look to see if their able to make it up there and then!

Maybe my pharmacy are hoarders!