notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
IMG_7088.jpg

I bought this for a veruca I got, I think from swimming. Just read the instructions and seen it’s not for people with diabetes? Any reason why? Can I still use it?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 67108

I bought this for a veruca I got, I think from swimming. Just read the instructions and seen it’s not for people with diabetes? Any reason why? Can I still use it?
It's mainly because if you don't have sensation in your extremities, things can get infected/ulcerated. I mean, I left one of those plasters on a bit too long -half a day or so-and I got a telling-off from my pedicurist, because it'd eaten too far into my skin, and it was so thin I shouldn't be walking on it. And the verruca happily reappeared in the exact same spot...! If your sensation's all good and you, unlike moi, don't forget that the plaster's there... You could give it a go. But personally, with T1, I'd say see a pedicurist; they can usually get it sorted, and with less risk. I just didn't want to wait until my next appointment, and regretted it. ;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, they're drops, but it's still the same active component as on the plasters. So do be careful.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @notafanofsugar - unfortunately forum members can’t advise on mediation & medical matters so we can’t say whether you can still use it or not, no one here knows your medical history. Like others have said you are best seeking advice from podiatry or GP. You could also speak to the pharmacist but I suspect they will give you the same advice.

Hope you get sorted soon veruccas are an absolute pain and are very easily spread

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Years ago I had a verruca and picked up Bazuka that I'd bought months before for my daughter. After reading it wasn't suitable for diabetics, I saw my GP who prescribed a similar product. On the instructions it stressed it should only be used on affected skin. I used it on the verruca and it spread down to healthy skin, so I wiped it off and used the Bazuka which was thicker and did not spread to healthy skin. As long as you use it only on affected skin you should be ok. However, if you have loss of sensation in your feet, you should visit a professional for treatment

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Haven't seen a chiropodist in years so If I got one I couldn't care less because the last time I saw one is 20 years ago and now I do everything myself even if I get a small cut on my foot I do myself as I was told by the last one not to come back so I didn't and I never got a letter or phone call from anyone even though I'm diabetic I do everything myself as I was told not to come back so that is exactly what I have done never went back to them and that's a NHS chiropodist so now I'm only going to the main appointments to see the doctors and nurses and I haven't even seen my GP since covid started so that doesn't even bother me either