BBC1 Thursday 21:00 Doctor in the House...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did wonder how sustainable it was.

The family made huge strides, and the advice was generally excellent, but a few words at the end about 'when they reach their goal, they can re-introduce a,b,c but need to keep off x,y,z for ever' would have made it seem much more bearable for the average viewer.

Reactions: 2 people

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How can I watch this abroad? I'm English but now live in the north of Spain but would love to watch this!

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want a DXA scan,............................. It doesn't look like my local Spire hospital has one, which is a shame, but at £139 I would go for it. Bury St Edmunds isn't a million miles away, except it's down the A14. I'm still traumatised by having an A14 commute for a while, in a nightmare job.......

[shudder ]

http://www.bodyscanuk.com/scans--packages.html

Looks like the visceral fat package in does in London, not Bury St Edmunds.

I too did the A14 trek for years; a 105 mile round trip every day with the majority of it on the good old A14. Pur me off driving then changed to going to Norwich every day which was even worse and to make it even worse than that I was told I would get a parking permit (had to pay of course) and then after I applied for it when I started I was told there was an 18 month waiting list so I had to park a mile away and walk the mile each way every day!!!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@SteveOsborne , It's probably too late .You unfortunately can't watch a programme on iplayer from abroad unless you get into using a proxy internet address .I know about it but haven't the foggiest idea how to do it.
What you can do watch the next episode live, on https://www.filmon.com/tv/bbc-one ie at 10pm your time next Thursday (you do have to put up with adverts)
The other way round it is permanent ie installing a satellite and using a free sat box. (bit expensive for one TV programme)

What I remember the couple in the programme did
man with diabetes
cut dairy and starchy/sugary carbohydrates (cupboards cleared out, I wanted to tell them that there is a fajita mix with very little sugar on the market, bonus is it doesn't tend to burn the pan like the one in the yellow packet!)
only eat on 4-5 days a week
on those days only eat within a 12 hour window.
Get out and do some more intensive exercise ie repetitions of 2 min intervals of fast walking to increase insulin sensitivity.
(is it any wonder he lost fat? He would inevitably be eating far less food/calories)

overweight stressed woman
cut dairy and starchy/sugary carbohydrates
meditate
increase walking to 10,000+ steps a day
12 hour eating window

She again would have been eating less, and 10,000 steps doesn't sound much but for me is about 5 miles so 35 miles a week. I noticed she mentioned normally eating a large nan with lots of butter with her restaurant meal, this time it was a mainly (totally?) vegetarian meal; not cooked in butter; far fewer calories.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Interesting video. I agree with him about cost. The first three to four weeks were expensive as I experimented with different LCHF foods and recipes but then I settled in to a regular meal pattern/menu which is working out about £20 to £30 per week cheaper than my previous way of eating, depending on my shifts. I food shop mostly with one supermarket on-line so it's easy to see the reduction.

However, the reduction in food costs isn't covering the cost of new clothes I'm having to buy because I've dropped nearly three dress sizes on LCMF. ;) .

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting video. I agree with him about cost. The first three to four weeks were expensive as I experimented with different LCHF foods and recipes but then I settled in to a regular meal pattern/menu which is working out about £20 to £30 per week cheaper than my previous way of eating, depending on my shifts. I food shop mostly with one supermarket on-line so it's easy to see the reduction.

However, the reduction in food costs isn't covering the cost of new clothes I'm having to buy because I've dropped nearly three dress sizes on LCMF. ;) .

We have found the same. I use a lot of spices, herbs and stuff, and they can seem expensive to buy, but often you only have to replace infrequently, so the cost ends up negligible.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
We have found the same. I use a lot of spices, herbs and stuff, and they can seem expensive to buy, but often you only have to replace infrequently, so the cost ends up negligible.
Same here. I did a huge shop in a gorgeous Asian supermarket in my second week to buy loads of spices which I'm planning to do everything three months as I've been told that some spices don't keep very well.

iHs

Be careful of spices....I once went to a hospital to collect my FIL from his dialysis session (he was old and unfortunately had a kidney removed due to a large stone causing an abcess in the kidney caused by infection through diverticular disease). I got there early so went into the unit to see him. I got a bit of a shock to see Asian people needing dialysis, type 2, overweight. I asked what had gone wrong for them to need dialysis and was told that the main problem was spices put into the food and that it just mucks up the way the kidneys filter

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful of spices....I once went to a hospital to collect my FIL from his dialysis session (he was old and unfortunately had a kidney removed due to a large stone causing an abcess in the kidney caused by infection through diverticular disease). I got there early so went into the unit to see him. I got a bit of a shock to see Asian people needing dialysis, type 2, overweight. I asked what had gone wrong for them to need dialysis and was told that the main problem was spices put into the food and that it just mucks up the way the kidneys filter

Hmm
I think that is a very simplistic view.
South Asians have a much higher predisposition to T2, with accompanying increased liklihood of needing dialysis.
IF it is diet related, then it is more likely the killer combo of rice and fat in many curries than the spices in those curries.

Not saying the info is wrong, but I would need to see clear evidence of it from properly controlled studies - and specific spices being named - before I believed it.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I'd be inclined to align my thinking with @Brunneria , bearing in mind how wedded the S Asian diet is to starchy carbs - Rice, and bread, and the fact that the overall diet tends to be high in both carbs and fat, which I think many of us acknowledge is tricky to handle.

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Then there's the monosodium glutamate which people in the Far East chuck over everything.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All in all a really good program, just a few slight gripes, ,,,intermittent fasting is great :), but would question doing it and low carb, yes he made massive results in a few weeks but he would have got there nearly as quickly just carrying on with the low carbing which is better for us as its a 2for1............ weight loss and BS control :)

And the doc seemed a bit OTT with the sausages , I eat them all the time , high meat content and just keep within my <40g day carb limit..... ie low carb not no carb.....:)

I am a firm believer in the 80/20 principle (ie doing things correctly 80% of the time) , as eating /dieting perfectly is a recipe to fail............

It just seemed a bit all about fast results , the guy with T2 needed something for the rest of his life, and as said above something about being a bit less rigid , say LCHF would have been nice,,,,

But as said well done the beeb and I wish I had that doc....:)

Reactions: 3 people

Holly945

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I'm new and have joined because of the programme last night 'Dr in the House'. It left me feeling guilty, as if having diabetes is all my own fault. Also a little confused, I'd try the 5:2 diet but is this really advised now? Do you stop medication on 'fasting' days?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hello @Holly945 and welcome to the forum. I'm tagging @daisy1 who will be along shortly with great information which you should have a good read of. The diet most of us on this forum follow is reduced carbohydrate which helps keep our blood glucose levels down. Come back with any questions you have after you read daisy's information and someone will answer. Chin up, there's lots of support and encouragement from the posters here.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I'm new and have joined because of the programme last night 'Dr in the House'. It left me feeling guilty, as if having diabetes is all my own fault. Also a little confused, I'd try the 5:2 diet but is this really advised now? Do you stop medication on 'fasting' days?

Hi and welcome @Holly945

The thing to remember is that many, many people eat the kind of diet that family on the programme were eating. And only some of them get type 2 diabetes. The ones that do are NOT to blame. They just have a particular set of genetics, exercise level, stress level, age, hormones (you name it, it is a factor) that means that they react to the diet by developing type 2 diabetes.

What was good about the programme is that the doctor gave some sensible suggestions that can make a big difference to our health (i am type 2 too).

Hope that helps :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take medication for my heart failure and they have to be taken with food ... I would never consider the fasting part of the diet, as to be honest my heart is needing more care than my T2 !

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It's not the spices!!! Genetically they have a predisposition for diabetes. You must have met one of 'those' nurses who know nowt.

Reactions: Blip22

flossymartin05

Just watched it .Quite good but am not sure the fasting would work for me as I need to take glucophage with lunch and some food Not good for me on an empty stomach .Also on Rabeprazole for gastritis .Nice to see low carb etc ..Pity my GP won't check my vitamin d.....peptide etc

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App