BCG vaccine could cure type 1

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This isn't particularly new news and I know someone who has tried it (to no effect).

The issue in this case is that no-one has been able to replicate the research that Dr Faustman has undertaken, which is one of the key components of any sort of health research.

Reactions: urbanracer

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Could" I'll just add this one to my list of "Cures"

I'm surprised T1 is still around after the thousands of cures that have been touted to me in the last 3 decades.

alexask

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, well he wants some more money for his next level of research. I think I'll pass without some more compelling evidence.

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As far as I understood its about giving repeated vaccines during 5 year trial period..they're trying to figure out dosing and effectiveness..I saw that trial recroutment is still open

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the bcg vaccine too. And have the nasty scar it left! I had that many years before I developed type 1 though. I don't think k they routinely vaccinate kids against TB now days do they? Hmm.
My year at school were the last to get the BCG vaccine in 2006, it may have been stopped a lot earlier in England though. I developed T1D around 8 years later, so it never worked for me either:)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they quit giving it in the 50's because TB more or less died out, and if you got the vaccine you would forever "flunk" the skin test for exposure. I didn't get it (my dad was a doctor and kept up on that stuff) but I'm still positive for the skin test because I lived in a medical residents apt facility and all the resident docs had been exposed to Tb in Chicago.