Beans!

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes but and it's a huge BUT. Every single cell in the body can metabolise glucose. The liver alone can metabolise fructose. That's why fructose is uniquely toxic especially in diabetes or pre_ diabetes. It's pretty much guaranteed to give you fatty liver and the metabolic syndrome. Go easy on the fruit and avoid all fruit smoothies like the plague

I have a fatty liver. Hence my wake up call to eat better!

Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

Yes but and it's a huge BUT. Every single cell in the body can metabolise glucose. The liver alone can metabolise fructose. That's why fructose is uniquely toxic especially in diabetes or pre_ diabetes. It's pretty much guaranteed to give you fatty liver and the metabolic syndrome. Go easy on the fruit and avoid all fruit smoothies like the plague

For sure. Hence “It does have other seriously deleterious effects for a diabetic, but there’s no need to confuse things for the purposes of this discussion.”

At the time it didn’t seem appropriate to unnecessarily confuse the OP about beans :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At my diabetes education session we were told that type one diabetics don't even have to inject when they have a healthy lunch with beans or baked potato - or was it beans AND baked potato - lets just go with neither being on my menu.

M

Member496333

At my diabetes education session we were told that type one diabetics don't even have to inject when they have a healthy lunch with beans or baked potato - or was it beans AND baked potato - lets just go with neither being on my menu.

Surely this can’t be correct? Hopefully a T1 will comment but my initial reaction is one of skepticism. A baked potato doesn’t require an insulin response? o_O

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely this can’t be correct? Hopefully a T1 will comment but my initial reaction is one of skepticism. A baked potato doesn’t require an insulin response? o_O
Very little was correct - the eatwell poster was laid out on the table between us for the entire three sessions and there were biscuits offered with the drinks. The milk used was of the skimmed variety.

Reactions: Charis1213

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very little was correct - the eatwell poster was laid out on the table between us for the entire three sessions and there were biscuits offered with the drinks. The milk used was of the skimmed variety.
What did you do, nod and smile?

M

Member496333

That’s hilarious but not unexpected.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you do, nod and smile?
Shook my head and rolled my eyes to Heaven - then caused the chief educator to rush back to the table when I started to talk to the others about doing low carb and produced my BG meter.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shook my head and rolled my eyes to Heaven - then caused the chief educator to rush back to the table when I started to talk to the others about doing low carb and produced my BG meter.
So did they beat you with a big stick?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diversionary tactics were used - she spilt her coffee - on the floor, unfortunately not over the poster.....

Type-2-Havent-A-Clue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I’m no expert (see previous posts) but I would of assumed that was carb overdrive?!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That all seems quite bizarre. Being uninformed is one thing but in this instance it seems almost like the educator had their own agenda.
Heh, Jim. I see a good employment role there for you and others. :D.

A LCHF road show.