Becoming super sensitive to certain foods?

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies if this is long and rambly!

I have always felt I've been in pain of some kind, just in general, and never been able to pinpoint any reason. Team that with constantly being told I'm being dramatic I learned to live with a certain level of discomfort thinking this is just what being alive feels like.

Since I have reduced carbs a lot and pretty much eliminated sugar from my diet I have been free of all of that discomfort, I have more energy, my posture is better (I think I was hunching because of a constant stomach discomfort) and I'm generally happier to be alive.

Is it possible to become even more sensitive to certain foods once you have eliminated them? I had takeout (I know, don't judge me!) that I've had before, within the past few months after eliminating certain foods, with no issue but this time a few hours later it caused intense pain in my stomach and when I say intense I mean intense. I genuinely thought I was having a heart attack at first as the pain was radiating up into my chest. I realised I had felt this years ago when on a night out drinking vodka and cokes (not diet) and whenever I drank too much apple juice too fast. I stopped drinking vodka, and apple juice.

The takeout was carb heavy (again, don't judge me!) and while I knew it wouldn't be great for me I thought a one off here and there would be ok. I did not anticipate pain on that scale.

So now I'm thinking is that pain caused by too much sugar in my system?? Is that a thing? I also experimented with Kiwi's today and while it wasn't quite the same pain, directly after eating it I got a ridiculously intense pain in my lower abdomen and the feeling of immense pressure as if I might pop and i could barely move. It eased after ten minutes.

So im essentially just wondering if I am now super sensitive to carbs and sugars? Have others experienced this on such a painful level?

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get strong discomfort if I have something I've not had for a while, and yes, an Indian takeaway where I had tandoori chicken and a spinach side did give me a very uncomfortable night.
I find an indigestion tablet or 2 helps.
Anything with wheat flour in causes discomfort too
I wouldn't describe it as pain, but it stronger than before T2.

Personally I don't mind it as its motivating to avoid those kinds of foods

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get strong discomfort if I have something I've not had for a while, and yes, an Indian takeaway where I had tandoori chicken and a spinach side did give me a very uncomfortable night.
I find an indigestion tablet or 2 helps.
Anything with wheat flour in causes discomfort too
I wouldn't describe it as pain, but it stronger than before T2.

Personally I don't mind it as its motivating to avoid those kinds of foods
It's definitely motivating! I won't be eating them again for sure.

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I experience the same thing. Now that I have eliminated all food additives, I feel so much better and pick up on any discomfort when I eat stuff that I haven’t had in a while. It helps me stick with my diet, though.

• Agree
Reactions: MrsA2

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I experience the same thing. Now that I have eliminated all food additives, I feel so much better and pick up on any discomfort when I eat stuff that I haven’t had in a while. It helps me stick with my diet, though.
Same here, I feel a lot better in myself. I wasn't prepared for such pain from certain foods though! Crazy how it works but definitely helps with sticking to the good stuff.