Bedtime hot drink

Thomas_the_tank_engine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
With the cold weather we are having at the moment. wondered what hot drinks at night that's not high in sugars before bed anybody can recommend
Looking at Hot Chocolate but nature of chocolate sugars are high
Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
With the cold weather we are having at the moment. wondered what hot drinks at night that's not high in sugars before bed anybody can recommend
Thanks
Tea.
Decaffeinated coffee.
Marmite or a stock cube in hot water.
A low carb version of hot chocolate.

Multiple options here: Some go with cocoa and a sweetener, some use a mixture of cream and water, myself, I'm still wanting to try melting high % cocoa chocolate (90% or so, which is quite low carb) in cream and water to see how this works out.
There are multiple threads on hot chocolate, here are a couple: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hot-chocolate-alternative-when-type-2.191112/ and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hotel-chocolat-hot-chocolate-100-cocoa.200513/

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have some Christmas socials coming up which tend to run on late and there's seldom diabetic-friendly drinks available, so I'll be taking a supply of Marmite with me. There's always access to hot water. For meat-eaters, Bovril would do just as well, of course.

If Santa should bring me a bottle of Armagnac, I 'll enjoy a nightcap on Christmas Eve.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Knorr Chicken or Vegetable stock cube and ACV in boiling water is my go-to.
Occasionally I will have boiling water with 1 teaspoon of Options Belgian Choc powder, 1 teaspoon of decaf coffee granules and a good glug of cream. Works out at 4.5g of carbs.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now a nice mug of low carb hot chocolate with a decent glug of your Christmas present to come doesn't sound bad at all!
Of course, I don't know for certain that Santa will oblige, but I can spot a 'glug', 'glug' parcel from several feet away, so if one should appear in the hearth, it won't stay unwrapped until Christmas Day morning.

A glass of Armagnac, ever so slightly warmed by gentle heating (definitely not served on the rocks) is guaranteed to put a flush in your cheeks even in this cold weather.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Antje77

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
for about a week I've been having before bed a mug of unsweetened cocoa made with water and a tablespoon of heavy cream and frothed. Not sure if it's a coincidence but since having the cocoa I've not had one leg cramp spasm.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely herbal tea for me.
There are even some blends specific for relaxing or bedtime.
All you need is hot water and a teabag.

There are so many different types of fruit, red bush and herbal teas available (I currently have a herbal tea advent calendar with 24 different teabags) that it is unlikely you will be unable to find one you like. You can buy variety packs so you can try out a few.
I enjoy red bush, spicy and herbal flavours but don’t like the taste of hibiscus or camomile.
During the summer, I just pick mint leaves from the garden and pour hot water over them - cheap, tasty and gentle on the stomach.

Reactions: Pura Vida

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Thanks
I love my home-made hot chocolate. Half coconut milk, half water, one or two teaspoons of Kruger cacao. Nuke for a minute and a half. Stick a frother in, done. Well, in my case it's usually "kitchen paper, mop up whatever I spilled", and THEN I'm done. ;) Coconut milk can be replaced with cream or full fat milk (cow, goat, whatever), the powdered cacao with a square or two of Lindt 85 to 100% pure chocolate. Sweetener used as needed. I don't, usually, but I rather love Steeves' Maple (The sugar free one) if I do treat myself. Or you can put something else in there. Splash of rum, sprinkle some cinnamon, that sort of thing.

Other than that, tea -proper or herbal tisane- and coffee, broth... That sort of thing. ;) For a bit there I made my own, mixing lemonbalm and lavender, but at the moment I have a ready made bag that helps with my many, many kidney stones.

Start thinking the way Americans do, maybe? They wouldn't know a good cup of coffee if they had one on a Venetian terrace, but they do toss all sorts in there. And aformented all sorts can sometimes be quite sugar free. ;) Just for a bit of variety. And if coffee wakes you up in the evening -espresso makes me sleepy...- just have a stash of decaf especially for bedtime. Maybe throw everything for a hot chocolate in a mug, and add coffee as well. Experiment, the world is your oyster!