Been for A1c test

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood pressure normal , weight loss another 7lbs so total is 21lbs so far , I had steroid injection in my knee cos of the pain I know what's wrong can't spell it though will add later cos Off to see my mum now.

Results Friday :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Blood pressure normal , weight loss another 7lbs so total is 21lbs so far , I had steroid injection in my knee cos of the pain I know what's wrong can't spell it though will add later cos Off to see my mum now.

Results Friday :)
Well done! You must be so excited to get the result on Friday.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Don't be surprised if you see a rise in bg levels after your steroid injection. Hope the pain relief sets in quickly.

Reactions: Charis1213

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
do you mean throughout the day a rise in blood levels ? Doc reckons the pain will go quickly so fingers crossed :)

When I've had steroid injections my bg goes up within 24hrs and stays there for a couple of days. It then takes roughly a week for them to normalise (normal for me, that is).
Of course this depends on the amount and type of anaesthesia given and we are all different in our responses to steroid treatments. I have caudal injections (spinal) and the relief takes somewhere between 5 and 10 days to set in but I get 2-3 months of relief so a weeks worth of higher numbers is worth it for me.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you mean throughout the day a rise in blood levels ? Doc reckons the pain will go quickly so fingers crossed :)
Steroids are a stress hormone. Normally, when your body makes them, it's a signal to your liver to dump extra glucose because you need energy for either fight or flight. When you get an injection, your body can't tell the difference between natural occuring steroids and the injected kind, so.... Your liver'll dump. Probably for a few days. Keep an eye on your bloodsugar levels. Last time I had a shot I went up to nine, but it came back down again. If you go higher, say, 10 or 15, something like that, and it doesn't come down, get in touch with your GP.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
taken a test and its 6.7 after food it was 6.4 upon waking , the test was after the injection .
Thanks for the advise will keep an eye on it :)

Caliallye

Steroids are a stress hormone. Normally, when your body makes them, it's a signal to your liver to dump extra glucose because you need energy for either fight or flight. When you get an injection, your body can't tell the difference between natural occuring steroids and the injected kind, so.... Your liver'll dump. Probably for a few days. Keep an eye on your bloodsugar levels. Last time I had a shot I went up to nine, but it came back down again. If you go higher, say, 10 or 15, something like that, and it doesn't come down, get in touch with your GP.

Caliallye

Thank you! I was given some steroids May1, I tried some steroids becasue I now have both a pump AND continuous read monitor, and I was able to get them down and keep them less than than 14mmo/l (250s. I live in theUS) (Without the pump The first time it was two units every two hours just to keep them around 25 (450’s) That said, Dr tried working in the other side of my shoulder, yesterday, and I and having trouble getting out of the 16-16.5 range (300s).
Until I remembered that he’d actually put steroids in two places! So I doubled my “high” rate, times 2 (200%) and it finally came down to 11! (Actually a bit less, 197!) Until the temp time ran out (I’d only used it for a few hours, just to check) so I’m reapplying that!
Anyway, it was good to see a concise explanation of what was going on! Thank you!