Been invited out to a chippy restaurant today...

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I went out for dinner and had the fish without batter and salad the salad had sweet corn and peppers in it but I ate it anyway I wouldn't normally chose to eat sweet corn now. I was 4.8 before the meal and 6.6 2 hours later not a rise I was wanting tbh but not a bad spike either.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I wouldn’t be going at all, due to the inflammatory oils used for frying, but I’m funny like that :hungover:
If it really comes to that then it is bad and is letting diabetes rule your life . Diabetes is a part of our lives not the whole of it we should not stop doing the things we always have done just because we have diabetes.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree with you but also see Jim’s point. I guess we have to make a judgement call for ourselves and not follow an overly prescriptive approach too steadfastly
I think some can take the diet thing a bit to far and then it rules their life then they can never enjoy a meal out with friends and family. It won't kill any of us to eat something out that we do not normally eat on a day to day basis at home

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it really comes to that then it is bad and is letting diabetes rule your life . Diabetes is a part of our lives not the whole of it we should not stop doing the things we always have done just because we have diabetes.

Wow! Just wow! Talk about judgemental.
I don't eat seed oils either and to be honest nor should anybody... I don't think that taking care of what we eat is letting anything "rule your life" more like attempting to prolong it in the best health possible.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I went out for dinner and had the fish without batter and salad the salad had sweet corn and peppers in it but I ate it anyway I wouldn't normally chose to eat sweet corn now. I was 4.8 before the meal and 6.6 2 hours later not a rise I was wanting tbh but not a bad spike either.

So glad you enjoyed it.

Reactions: Starfish18

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers are fine - stop stressing so much - everyone rises including people without diabetes - glad you had a good time - that's what life is about :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like ok numbers.. well done.

Reactions: Starfish18

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have fish and chips once a year on the ferry to Ireland it's the best !!! I leave some of the batter ,but it melts in your mouth ☺ I only have a couple of chips or may have a couple of new potatoes and there is always salad to help yourself to .The puds are a problem ,usually Danish type pastries or pie and custard so I take some natural yoghurt with berries so that I don't miss out
Liverpool to Dublin probably May this year
Carol

M

Member496333

Nothing to do with diabetes. I just don’t like consuming those oils. Personal choice.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pinkorchid I totally agree with @Jim Lahey and @bulkbiker that I absolutely would not touch those seed oils. It has nothing to do with the diabetes (at least I don't think it has) but I have had real problems with inflammation for about 50 years and by not eating the seed oils since I started low carbing I am much improved.

So I actually would prefer that avoiding diabetes and avoiding my other health issues taking over my life rather than having to deal with the side effects of the inflammation which have taken over my life on many occasions or the side effects of diabetes. I was heading towards sight loss and probable foot loss. I cannot believe that either would not have completely taken over my life.

Apologies for the rant - but I do feel quite strongly about this.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pinkorchid I totally agree with @Jim Lahey and @bulkbiker that I absolutely would not touch those seed oils. It has nothing to do with the diabetes (at least I don't think it has) but I have had real problems with inflammation for about 50 years and by not eating the seed oils since I started low carbing I am much improved.

So I actually would prefer that avoiding diabetes and avoiding my other health issues taking over my life rather than having to deal with the side effects of the inflammation which have taken over my life on many occasions or the side effects of diabetes. I was heading towards sight loss and probable foot loss. I cannot believe that either would not have completely taken over my life.

How about flax seed? I am taking that upon forum advice to help deal with constipation that has occurred owing to LCHF dietary changes

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about flax seed? I am taking that upon forum advice to help deal with constipation that has occurred owing to LCHF dietary changes
I think flax seeds are ok. I have organic ground flax seeds with my kefir and yoghurt for breakfast. I have problems with the highly processed oils but have not experienced problems with the ground flaxseeds.
Edited to add - I find them very good for transit problems also.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think flax seeds are ok. I have organic ground flax seeds with my kefir and yoghurt for breakfast. I have problems with the highly processed oils but have not experienced problems with the ground flaxseeds.
Thanks Krystyna. They certainly seem to help me.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Those numbers are fine, starfish. Sometimes we have to make the best of what's on offer, and you did that, to accommodate your tastes too. Well done.

One point I would make though is that excitement, or mild stress (like will I be OK on this fish, etc.) can also raise the numbers a nudge.

I recall a couple of years ago, being at a conference with 2 other T2s and a bunch of others. We were all a bit excited to be there; chatting non-stop etc. Each one of us was tracking our bloods through - 2 of us on Libre, and the other on finger prick tests. The food was, literally, all LC friendly. Compared to previous and following days we each reported slightly higher numbers that day.

We put it down to excitement and over use of our vocal cords. We just had positive adrenaline coursing round our systems.

It was a fab day and worth every minute. Life is for living.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No not le
Wow! Just wow! Talk about judgemental.
I don't eat seed oils either and to be honest nor should anybody... I don't think that taking care of what we eat is letting anything "rule your life" more like attempting to prolong it in the best health possible.
It was nothing to do with eating seed oils or being good or bad avoiding them is a personal preference The thing I commented on was not going out because of them that is not good diabetic or not if we let things like that stop us having a normal life. No one is forcing us to have food cooked in seed oils if we don't want it even when eating out

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing to do with diabetes. I just don’t like consuming those oils. Personal choice.
Agreed it is personal choice but why let it stop you going out to eat .We usually go out to enjoy time with friends and family and not let what we do or don't eat eat stop us

Reactions: lovinglife

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My post was not about seed oils being good or bad and how people feel about them that is up to them and a different subject. I just do not understand how objecting to the oils would stop anyone from going out and enjoying time with friends and family surely that is important in our lives