Been reading for a while, finally registered..

gonpanning

Hi there

Thought it was about time I introduced myself as I've been watching from the sidelines for a while..

I've been on a testing roundabout since January after I realised that I was thirsty & going to the loo a lot, losing weight for no apparent reason (over a stone now), getting sickness after eating too many carbs, and getting tingling/numb toes. With 2 diabetic relatives (Type 1 and 2), it seemed obvious, so I did some self-tests - 8 mmol after fasting, and between 9 and 12 mmol 2 hrs after eating.

My GP's test gave a fasting glucose of 6.1, and HBA1C of 6.5, and glucose tolerance tests followed, as I was considered borderline. This test gave fasting results of 5.9, and 15.9 after my yummy glucose drink. Apparently this was 'inconclusive' though I'd been reading your site and others so I thought otherwise. Still, I did a retest 4 weeks later which has given readings of 5.6 and 12.7, and after 3 months of being undiagnosed I finally get the verdict at tomorrow's clinic....

I haven't had much support from the medics so far, but I've read as much as I can - especially on this site, which is a big help. I've bought a blood glucose meter, and I'm getting more aware of how different foods affect my blood sugars. I was told by my GP that my tingling toes couldn't be related to my blood sugars, but I've found if I keep my blood sugars low and do some exercise, I don't get a problem. Hmm. I was also told by someone who works in the trade as it were, that I am likely to be borderline and don't need to test regularly, but how else do I find out what works for me?

Can't wait for tomorrow's appointment.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
WElcome
the trouble with diagnosis is that there's no clear boundary between diabetic and non-diabetic.
What is clear( from my reading) is that even non-diabetics with consistently higher blood glucose( they do exist) suffer rom various increased risks.
Thus if tyou are borderline, it's safer to treat you as diabetic than not.
Let us know what the verdict is

Trinkwasser

Unfortunately your doctors are clueless!

The diagnostic point for "diabetes" is basically set at the "point of no return" on a progression away from normal. Frankly the sooner you start to control your BG the sooner you are likely to succeed and the more likely you are to slow or even stop the progression and reverse some of the symptoms.

I had significant peripheral neuropathy and some autonomic neuropathy despite not reaching "true" diabetic numbers. This has mostly reversed through BG control, and a cocktail of Alpha Lipoic Acid and Evening Primrose Oil, BUT I only have to go over 8 for my fingers and toes to start tweaking again.

Start here

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

Here's some good background reading

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

More in the Stickies and Success Stories threads

gonpanning

Many thanks for the welcome, and the advice.

Clueless doesn't begin to describe my doctors! I've just come back from there, and I've been told I have a normal fasting level, and diabetic post glucose levels (with levels of 5.6/12.7 mmol). Somehow, from that they've said I've got impaired glucose tolerance. I see that the guidelines define it as fasting plasma glucose concentration of less than 7.0 mmol/l with a two-hour oral glucose tolerance test value of 7.8 to 11.1 mmol/l, though there's lot of debate about whether this is set too high anyway.

I guess that's what I get for checking myself, but it's definitely not an exact science, so why bother arguing? Bottom line is, I still need to watch my blood sugars, exercise, and lose another stone, so I'll just get on with it then...

sandymaynard

Hi gonpanning,
You sound like me a few months ago!
i saw one gp told him how i was feeling, he told me to go away as nothing wrong, sorry to coin his phase "there is nothing wrong, you have a bladder infection making you wee all the time,You are overweight as well"!
I spoke to my mum who is a type 1, then i found this wonderful forum! asked a few questions and got honest answers!i decided to change my gp i saw a female gp who was very understanding and listened she ordered a Glucose tollerence test as well!
Off i went for my Glucose tollerence test, My fasting test was 7.8 2 hours after my yummy glucose drink, Well not so yummy struggled to keep it down, My second blood test came back at 26.2!
I am now type 2! I owe my thanks to the good people here on the forum! And my new Gp as she is so understanding!
My Gp said anything over 14.6 on Glucose tollerence test is classed as diabetic!
If i was you i would get a second gp to look at your results this time around!
Sorry to hijack your thread.
Sandy

Trinkwasser

gonpanning said:
Many thanks for the welcome, and the advice.

Clueless doesn't begin to describe my doctors! I've just come back from there, and I've been told I have a normal fasting level, and diabetic post glucose levels (with levels of 5.6/12.7 mmol). Somehow, from that they've said I've got impaired glucose tolerance. I see that the guidelines define it as fasting plasma glucose concentration of less than 7.0 mmol/l with a two-hour oral glucose tolerance test value of 7.8 to 11.1 mmol/l, though there's lot of debate about whether this is set too high anyway.

Yes it's common for the postprandial numbers to go south before the fasting. I still have normal FBG and my GTT was "only" 10.8, I've since gone over the magic 11.1 a couple of times but only on my own meter, so theoretically I am still "not diabetic", I just have all the symptoms . . .

. . . did they check your lipids? Mine were appalling, and are now rather good. This was my worst "symptom", along with the increasing blood pressure. All these things can be improved as long as you start yesterday <G>