Type 1 Been told something on holiday (upsetting) type 1 diabetic!

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well i will be the odd one out here,i would think it good manners to go to the toilet or wherever to inject, there are some who would pass out at the sight of you injecting at the meal table. One wonders how some are brought up. Maybe next time you could ask for a bucket to be put under the table save you having to go to the toilet for other reasons.
If someone has their nose all up in my business at my table and they faint from seeing me inject, then that's 100% on them for not minding their own business. I don't go around snooping on others to see if they're doing anything, if I'm having food at a restaurant then I focus on my food and the person I'm with.

Well i m a type 1 diabetic, and i think its disgusting for other people in the restaurant to have to watch you take blood and inject yourself, if i owned a restaurant i d throw you out.

Get a grip, and stop complaining, do as your asked or leave. Easy.
Congrats on being a discriminating bigot? Thank god there are laws in place to prevent people like you from pulling through on those threats without legal consequence.

brianwills

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am on holiday in Lanzarote. I was just told to go to the toilet(just outside of the restaurant/very close to it) to take my blood and insulin if I wanted to eat food. I got very upset and did that.

Is this discrimination?

Am I covered by EU laws that i could take my blood / insulin where I want?
U are covered because it is disscrimination, Take it all the way n sue them

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mickeyb . Here in lies the problem. People DON'T have to watch. People CHOOSE to watch.
Even the smallest restaurant has a thousand and one places to look , stop being so bloody nosey and lead you're own life.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Happyone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are judgemental
Hi, I’ve always thought that if it’s acceptable for mother’s to breastfeed their babies in a restaurant and not the restroom, then I can inject in public also. What is more life threatening. - not breastfeeding or not injecting. Simples

Reactions: Dodo

Landor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am on holiday in Lanzarote. I was just told to go to the toilet(just outside of the restaurant/very close to it) to take my blood and insulin if I wanted to eat food. I got very upset and did that.

Is this discrimination?

Just take it wherever you're comfortable to pal. If they object just take your custom elsewhere, simples. It's not discrimination it's ignorance

Reactions: dazwalshe

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even the smallest restaurant has a thousand and one places to look , stop being so bloody nosey and lead you're own life.

Aha! Nail, head I think. A disturbing societal trend is that a lot of people are too fascinated with others' business nowadays. It is pretty much on tap now between oversharing on social media and the instant delivery of up to the minute news every day. Perhaps their own world is too boring.

This debate seems to come up every so often - if people honestly think it's OK and not unhygienic to tell someone to head to the toilet to inject you probably wonder why they bother to supply the needles with a sterile seal.

Reactions: philh99 and Dodo

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I inject and am type 2 I just think it can be done discreetly the toilet isn't ideal I was in the queue at McDonalds with my grandchildren I have to inject 15-30mins before food so had to do it then but did in my tummy I looked up and sawthe assistant smiling I said sorry I hope that didn't bother you and she smiledand said nobecause u didn't make a big thing of it and unfortunately its necessary for u so I emailed the restaurant and praised her

Steve978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant lazy selfish humans .
Well i m a type 1 diabetic, and i think its disgusting for other people in the restaurant to have to watch you take blood and inject yourself, if i owned a restaurant i d throw you out.

I agree it's disgusting to do that in a restaurant

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are some who are self-hating and don't accept diabetes as a way of life.
As a T1 for 50 years, I can tell you taking a shot discreetly at the table is really not an issue for me, or for my friends who understand the struggles diabetics face. It takes all of 10 seconds to take a shot, less with a pen.

Reactions: Glucobabu

cathie51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
I am T2 on insulin I have never had a problem if you are discrete it should not upset anyone. I was told not to test or inject in a public toilet too many chances for infection. I have asked in large busy restaurants and in small cafes if they have any objection and no one ever has in fact they are usually very helpful. So now I just get on and do it.

Reactions: Guzzler

Kathryn321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't let this one restaurant ruin your holiday! I'd complain to the manager then leave and eat somewhere else. When you get home make sure you complain publicly eg give them a really bad review on trip advisor and hopefully others don't go there / they should apologise.

I'd assume being abroad maybe they thought it was drugs or something, but don't let it bother you

Enjoy the rest of your holiday! X

Iangw

Completely disagree. They don't have to watch. It's their choice to keep looking or not.

Reactions: MangosteenElbow
D

Deleted member 308541

I was just told to go to the toilet(just outside of the restaurant/very close to it) to take my blood and insulin if I wanted to eat food.
If the toilets in Lanzarote were in similar conditions to what the toilets in Las Palmas were like nearly fifty years ago. You would have been appalled even more than you are now.

I have seen better public toilets in Asia than those there.

Kisacat

Completely disagree. They don't have to watch. It's their choice to keep looking or not.
Exactly. I shoot up in restauants, cafes, museums, park benches, trains, planes, wherever I happen to be. In people's houses, I always check first. I've never had any problems. I'm convinced most people don't even notice - we're really not that interesting. If other people say it's causing them a problem, then tell them their problem is nothing compared to yours. Be upfront. Other people need to grow up. Nobody is required to watch if they don't want to. (Unless you're making a spectacle of yourself and doing it on a table with one hand behind your back whilst singing the National Anthem. Now that I would find annoying.)

Reactions: dazwalshe and Dodo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Could the contributors here who have said that injecting in a restaurant is disgusting please explain to us why they think it is disgusting?

What aspect of it?

What is disgusting about someone discreetly exposing a tiny area of skin for a few seconds so that a pen with a pretty much invisible needle can be pressed against them for a few seconds?

It's all very well making a bare assertion that it's disgusting but that's hardly an argument unless you're prepared to offer reasons for it. Just saying it's disgusting isn't a tenable argument.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Could the contributors here who have said that injecting in a restaurant is disgusting please explain to us why they think it is disgusting?

What aspect of it?

What is disgusting about someone discreetly exposing a tiny area of skin for a few seconds so that a pen with a pretty much invisible needle can be pressed against them for a few seconds?

It's all very well making a bare assertion that it's disgusting but that's hardly an argument unless you're prepared to offer reasons for it. Just saying it's disgusting isn't a tenable argument.

Well said. I think it's reprehensible that some people are so narrow minded and blinkered and full of s**te that they have to post such sweeping statements, it's garbage. I have injected in an eating establishment and injected my type 1 granddaughter too. Would an Insulin dependent diabetic wheelchair user be treated in the same way, or someone using an Inhaler for asthma, I very much doubt it.
Stupid is, stupid does.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

So I suppose if you should be allergic to say peanuts and the restaurant served you up a peanut contaminated meal then asked you to go out to the toilets to administer Adrenaline you would comply so as not to be disgusting to any squeamish bigots that may be watching.

Captain_Sensible

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Is this discrimination?

It's all very upsetting for any diabetic. I've been a type 1 for 58 years so have experienced this sort of thing for many many years. There used to a lot of prejudice against diabetics particularly in the 60's onwards. In those days it was always best not to say you were a diabetic
to anyone. So I've injected in many many toilets and private places and have done so even though it is not hygienically ideal. These days I always do a finger test in public and depending where I am - I will inject as well. If I can surreptiously stick the needle in my stomach- then I will. I never make a show of it if I can help it though, because I still use the old style syringes by choice- not the modern pen injectors which are probably less offensive to onlookers, who may think you are a druggy! I still therefore think that we diabetics need to exhibit a modicum of care and decency for the sake of others present. Just my opinion. :)

Captain_Sensible

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I inject and am type 2 I just think it can be done discreetly the toilet isn't ideal I was in the queue at McDonalds with my grandchildren I have to inject 15-30mins before food so had to do it then but did in my tummy I looked up and sawthe assistant smiling I said sorry I hope that didn't bother you and she smiledand said nobecause u didn't make a big thing of it and unfortunately its necessary for u so I emailed the restaurant and praised her

That is spot on - well said ! :)

poor1uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercising

Is this discrimination?