1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Been told something on holiday (upsetting) type 1 diabetic!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by ANDuncan!, Sep 25, 2017.

1. DaftThoughts

DaftThoughts LADA · Well-Known Member

If someone has their nose all up in my business at my table and they faint from seeing me inject, then that's 100% on them for not minding their own business. I don't go around snooping on others to see if they're doing anything, if I'm having food at a restaurant then I focus on my food and the person I'm with.

Congrats on being a discriminating bigot? Thank god there are laws in place to prevent people like you from pulling through on those threats without legal consequence.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. brianwills

brianwills Type 1 · Newbie

U are covered because it is disscrimination, Take it all the way n sue them

3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@mickeyb . Here in lies the problem. People DON'T have to watch. People CHOOSE to watch.
    Even the smallest restaurant has a thousand and one places to look , stop being so bloody nosey and lead you're own life.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Happyone

Happyone Type 2 · Member

Hi, I’ve always thought that if it’s acceptable for mother’s to breastfeed their babies in a restaurant and not the restroom, then I can inject in public also. What is more life threatening. - not breastfeeding or not injecting. Simples

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Landor

Landor Type 1 · Member

Just take it wherever you're comfortable to pal. If they object just take your custom elsewhere, simples. It's not discrimination it's ignorance

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Aha! Nail, head I think. A disturbing societal trend is that a lot of people are too fascinated with others' business nowadays. It is pretty much on tap now between oversharing on social media and the instant delivery of up to the minute news every day. Perhaps their own world is too boring.

This debate seems to come up every so often - if people honestly think it's OK and not unhygienic to tell someone to head to the toilet to inject you probably wonder why they bother to supply the needles with a sterile seal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Farrowlily

Farrowlily Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I inject and am type 2 I just think it can be done discreetly the toilet isn't ideal I was in the queue at McDonalds with my grandchildren I have to inject 15-30mins before food so had to do it then but did in my tummy I looked up and sawthe assistant smiling I said sorry I hope that didn't bother you and she smiledand said nobecause u didn't make a big thing of it and unfortunately its necessary for u so I emailed the restaurant and praised her

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steve978

Steve978 Type 2 · Member

I agree it's disgusting to do that in a restaurant

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RAPS_od

RAPS_od Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There are some who are self-hating and don't accept diabetes as a way of life.
    As a T1 for 50 years, I can tell you taking a shot discreetly at the table is really not an issue for me, or for my friends who understand the struggles diabetics face. It takes all of 10 seconds to take a shot, less with a pen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. cathie51

cathie51 Type 2 · Member

I am T2 on insulin I have never had a problem if you are discrete it should not upset anyone. I was told not to test or inject in a public toilet too many chances for infection. I have asked in large busy restaurants and in small cafes if they have any objection and no one ever has in fact they are usually very helpful. So now I just get on and do it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kathryn321

Kathryn321 Type 1 · Active Member

Don't let this one restaurant ruin your holiday! I'd complain to the manager then leave and eat somewhere else. When you get home make sure you complain publicly eg give them a really bad review on trip advisor and hopefully others don't go there / they should apologise.

I'd assume being abroad maybe they thought it was drugs or something, but don't let it bother you

Enjoy the rest of your holiday! X

• Like Like x 3
  12. Iangw

Iangw · Newbie

Completely disagree. They don't have to watch. It's their choice to keep looking or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

If the toilets in Lanzarote were in similar conditions to what the toilets in Las Palmas were like nearly fifty years ago. You would have been appalled even more than you are now.

I have seen better public toilets in Asia than those there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kisacat

Kisacat · Member

Exactly. I shoot up in restauants, cafes, museums, park benches, trains, planes, wherever I happen to be. In people's houses, I always check first. I've never had any problems. I'm convinced most people don't even notice - we're really not that interesting. If other people say it's causing them a problem, then tell them their problem is nothing compared to yours. Be upfront. Other people need to grow up. Nobody is required to watch if they don't want to. (Unless you're making a spectacle of yourself and doing it on a table with one hand behind your back whilst singing the National Anthem. Now that I would find annoying.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Could the contributors here who have said that injecting in a restaurant is disgusting please explain to us why they think it is disgusting?

What aspect of it?

What is disgusting about someone discreetly exposing a tiny area of skin for a few seconds so that a pen with a pretty much invisible needle can be pressed against them for a few seconds?

It's all very well making a bare assertion that it's disgusting but that's hardly an argument unless you're prepared to offer reasons for it. Just saying it's disgusting isn't a tenable argument.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Well said. I think it's reprehensible that some people are so narrow minded and blinkered and full of s**te that they have to post such sweeping statements, it's garbage. I have injected in an eating establishment and injected my type 1 granddaughter too. Would an Insulin dependent diabetic wheelchair user be treated in the same way, or someone using an Inhaler for asthma, I very much doubt it.
    Stupid is, stupid does.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

So I suppose if you should be allergic to say peanuts and the restaurant served you up a peanut contaminated meal then asked you to go out to the toilets to administer Adrenaline you would comply so as not to be disgusting to any squeamish bigots that may be watching.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Captain_Sensible

Captain_Sensible Type 1 · Member

It's all very upsetting for any diabetic. I've been a type 1 for 58 years so have experienced this sort of thing for many many years. There used to a lot of prejudice against diabetics particularly in the 60's onwards. In those days it was always best not to say you were a diabetic
    to anyone. So I've injected in many many toilets and private places and have done so even though it is not hygienically ideal. These days I always do a finger test in public and depending where I am - I will inject as well. If I can surreptiously stick the needle in my stomach- then I will. I never make a show of it if I can help it though, because I still use the old style syringes by choice- not the modern pen injectors which are probably less offensive to onlookers, who may think you are a druggy! I still therefore think that we diabetics need to exhibit a modicum of care and decency for the sake of others present. Just my opinion. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
  19. Captain_Sensible

Captain_Sensible Type 1 · Member

That is spot on - well said ! :)

20. poor1uk

poor1uk Type 2 · Newbie

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook