Type 1 Been told something on holiday (upsetting) type 1 diabetic!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fortunately, I think incidents like this are very rare.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've injected tens of thousands of times in food places in twenty countries ranging from greasy spoon cafes to Michelin starred restaurants (not often, just twice!) and never once had anyone complain.

Mainly because, as others correctly point out, it's so subtle and discreet that no-one actually notices, but also when people do notice, it's just a casual glance, and they're probably just thinking, "dude's just taking some medicine."

I suppose some Daily Mail readers might think that class A drugs come neatly pre-packaged in a pen, but they are rare and few.

It just seems to be the keyboard warriors who make a fuss.

I prefer to think more about my experiences as a newbie when I was still getting used to how insulin worked, got it wrong, had some spectacular public hypos. On all those occasions, the key thing was that passersby would step in and help rather than assume I was a junkie.

Only time I recall T1 being an issue was many years ago when I was queuing to get into a nightclub at 1am in Glasgow. Bouncer patted me down, and, astonishingly, asked, are you diabetic? Yes, I said (or slurred, it was 1am), how did you know that? He says he had felt the outline of the pen in my jacket! Anyway, he says I'd have to leave it at reception because policy was they, "dinny want anybody stabbing or glassing anyone." Fair point mate, I thought, so was happy to hand it over, might as well go with the flow when it's 1am in Glasgow!

Reactions: MangosteenElbow
D

Deleted member 308541

When I go for fasting blood tests I take my morning medication of ten tablets in a little plastic zip lock bag. I take them in the Atrium Cafe at the the private hospital where the pathology shop is.

I always tell who ever serves me coffee and whatever I buy to eat, that I will be taking medication as I have been fasting. I have never had a problem with taking them there, even had a Doctor sitting at the same table as me, commenting on the number of tablets I take.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Leddy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am on holiday in Lanzarote. I was just told to go to the toilet(just outside of the restaurant/very close to it) to take my blood and insulin if I wanted to eat food. I got very upset and did that.

Is this discrimination?

Am I covered by EU laws that i could take my blood / insulin where I want?
Ive been all over the world on holidays and never been asked to leave to do my injection,blood test.i would make a stand and finish my injection,blood,and then left and named and shamed.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry this happened to you :( Goodness knows what their laws would be on this... can't imagine it would be right to ask you to do your injection in the restrooms though. I will never ever again inject in restrooms. The last time I did I was about to inject when when the door behind me flew open and hit me with needle in hand (there wasn't much room at the basins in there). The safest place for me to inject is at the table and I do so as discreetly as I can. The only way people would know is if they're looking to see what I'm doing under the table.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am on holiday in Lanzarote. I was just told to go to the toilet(just outside of the restaurant/very close to it) to take my blood and insulin if I wanted to eat food. I got very upset and did that.

Is this discrimination?

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive been all over the world on holidays and never been asked to leave to do my injection,blood test.i would make a stand and finish my injection,blood,and then left and named and shamed.
Sounds awful, personally I have never had a problem doing either in any country I have been to including Spain! Would have ignored them and carried on. Once on flight person beside me was phobic re injections (I thought polite as seats close) He was fine with me telling him when I'd finished. I would ask to speak to manager and complain, certainly smacks of discrimination.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well i m a type 1 diabetic, and i think its disgusting for other people in the restaurant to have to watch you take blood and inject yourself, if i owned a restaurant i d throw you out.

Get a grip, and stop complaining, do as your asked or leave. Easy.
Are u serious? I hope not.

michaelgc123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marmite, might add more later lol

Is this discrimination?

It is discrimination. You are asked to go and do what really is a medical procedure in the most unhygenic of places. They should be named and shamed, even reported. A woman breastfeeding a child would not be asked to do the same!

ANDuncan!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm open to most stuff but some stuff like coronation Street is a big NO
Thanks for all the support guys I sorted it out with head of the hotel. They apologise a lot then had a word with all the staff which crowed around me including the manager when they confronted me. Luckily due to you guys comments I had the confidence to go talk directly to the head manager!
Many thanks
Alex

Reactions: Mep

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is so bad. Toilets are the last place to inject. We diabetics are prone to UTIs so wcs are to be avoided. Apart from that, where to put the tester, the pen etc?
I always try to be discreet but usually do it at the table. Once or twice curious waiters ask, I say "just shooting up old chap. Hope you don't mind" That gets them off your back. Take care and next time stand up and say, "in the name of God, do you think I enjoy injecting myself 1500 times a year? I did not ask for this." Be strong you're not alone.

I am off shortly on holiday and will not use a toilet to inject, would not in the UK let alone some locations overseas. I can understand if using a 'conventional' needle in public (I have a needle phobia and can't watch even on TV). Presume it is a pen? I have managed to test and inject at a table (table top is above stomach) and continue a conversation, sort of.

The only issues are the bleep of a monitor and where you clear the air with a couple of insulin units :)