Beer

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I have found that red wine seems to have a positive effect on my morning B.G. readings insofar as they are slightly lower than normal.
Also spirits are fine with virtually no carbs,and I use canned diet lemonade or diet cola at home as it can be chilled and doesn't go flat like a big bottle.Sainsbury's diet lemonade is sweetened with Sucralose and so no Aspartame and Acsesuflame K which is a bonus.Still looking to find a similar diet cola.If you are out just insist on canned diet mixers and choose a spirit to match what they have.I would not trust to a mixer gun wielded by the average bartender!
Beer is more difficult but I have recently been testing!!! If that is the correct term with Coors Light. A 440 ml can is around 7.5g carbs as far as I can work out.The really low carb stuff freely available in the U.S. is really difficult to get here sadly.I seem to be able to tolerate a few without too much of a spike.I treat it the same as a meal ie try to stay within 2 points of my starting point.
Overall the body's reaction to alcohol is to flush the bloodstream through the kidney to reduce alcohol concentration in the blood.Hence trips to the gents.It also appears to remove excess glucose at the same time.I think the ideal position would be to try and balance this out so you can enjoy a couple of drinks with yer pals.
Coor's is ok and not dissimilar to Stella, although I am not an aficionado of lagers.
Also don't forget lots of calories in alcohol of any sort.

Testing required :)
Thanks! I'm gonna try to het hold of some Michelob Ultra only 2.6 grams a bottle and 4.2 volume. A guy at work said he used to mix low c (mentioned earlier) with lager when he was trying to lose weight. So 1/2 of coors light and a bottle of low c has only 5.6 worth of carbs. Happy days if it tastes ok

tow

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My love of a few Stella's was the first thing in my mind when diagnosed a few weeks back.

I had very high blood sugar level (19mmol) but am very slim with an active lifestyle and reasonably good diet

I have found a few pints does very little to my blood sugar whereas I only have to look at bread and I'm through the roof

Get a test meter get down the pub have a few and go home for the second half. Test 2 hours later and see what happens.

I'm enjoying having 2 or 3 and having a good reason to go home.
Saving a fortune and helping my increased exercise plan

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
My love of a few Stella's was the first thing in my mind when diagnosed a few weeks back.

I had very high blood sugar level (19mmol) but am very slim with an active lifestyle and reasonably good diet

I have found a few pints does very little to my blood sugar whereas I only have to look at bread and I'm through the roof

Get a test meter get down the pub have a few and go home for the second half. Test 2 hours later and see what happens.

I'm enjoying having 2 or 3 and having a good reason to go home.
Saving a fortune and helping my increased exercise plan
Thanks, thats exactly what I'm going to do..

Tfqleeds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The diabetes nurse at the hospital told me not to inject the insulin if I go on a night out as the alcohol will bring my blood sugars right down and to have a take away at the end of the night to bring them back up, (that was the best news all day).

However reading various threads and bits and pieces online this seems completely wrong... any thoughts from anybody?

Reactions: 2 people

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
The diabetes nurse at the hospital told me not to inject the insulin if I go on a night out as the alcohol will bring my blood sugars right down and to have a take away at the end of the night to bring them back up, (that was the best news all day).

However reading various threads and bits and pieces online this seems completely wrong... any thoughts from anybody?
Sorry, this is all new to me . My head is choker with it. Just read that caffeine can push bg up *** is that about? You can't drink beer oh, and by the way, you can't drink coffee either.

Tfqleeds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying to not let it get me down, social drinking is my number one favourite activity. Hopefully I will find some drinks that I enjoy and don't raise the BG too high. Here's to the testing phase!

Reactions: 7 people

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
So I went out for a few sherberts 4 pints of Low C and Coors Lite mixed. Didn't rush them, spent 3 hrs (9.30 -12.30) in the pub and tested myself at 12.00ish on my last pint. I was 8.2... Boomshakalak!

Reactions: 5 people

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If one of your problems is the liver releasing glucose then alcohol keeps it busy working on the alcohol instead, hence lower blood sugars after a few glasses of wine. My lowest ever morning reading was after drinking an entire bottle of red wine one night (over a good many hours and with a fairly carby meal out). Cant really recommend it as a way of lowering blood sugar as in itself, alcohol can contribute to a fatty liver which is not what you want, but the occasional splurge doesn't seem to do much harm and is good for morale! :) (Not advice purely an observation!)

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know where I can get hold of some Marston's Low C.I presume it is similar to a pale ale,Or get hold of Michelob Ultra as well.
Ta.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks! I'm gonna try to het hold of some Michelob Ultra only 2.6 grams a bottle and 4.2 volume. A guy at work said he used to mix low c (mentioned earlier) with lager when he was trying to lose weight. So 1/2 of coors light and a bottle of low c has only 5.6 worth of carbs. Happy days if it tastes ok

My experience with beer has mostly been with what we call Craft Beers.

I've found that different types of beer and their corresponding alcohol content have different affects on my BG.

I'd just test each type I drink and would not drink more than a pint.

For me I've found that Imperial Stouts with an alcohol content above 7.5% decrease my BG dramatically and I don't get an a morning rebound.

On the other hand Belgium Ales - what we call triple IPAs even at 11% shoot my BG up.

Generally Pub / Supermarket beers with 5% and under cause my BG to spike.

Just remember that non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is basically the same as alcohol induced fatty liver disease and alcohol is not really good for the heart ( the therapeutic does and abuse dosage are to close ) and that is something us dianetics need to be concerned with.

I say unless there are other health concerns drink and test and have fun doing it but moderation is the key - I have trouble with that part

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
My experience with beer has mostly been with what we call Craft Beers.

I've found that different types of beer and their corresponding alcohol content have different affects on my BG.

I'd just test each type I drink and would not drink more than a pint.

For me I've found that Imperial Stouts with an alcohol content above 7.5% decrease my BG dramatically and I don't get an a morning rebound.

On the other hand Belgium Ales - what we call triple IPAs even at 11% shoot my BG up.

Generally Pub / Supermarket beers with 5% and under cause my BG to spike.

Just remember that non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is basically the same as alcohol induced fatty liver disease and alcohol is not really good for the heart ( the therapeutic does and abuse dosage are to close ) and that is something us dianetics need to be concerned with.

I say unless there are other health concerns drink and test and have fun doing it but moderation is the key - I have trouble with that part
Thanks for your thoughts I had a few last night just as a tester really. I know now that I can safely have a couple of pints. If I do want to get Wankered I'll drink Gin

Reactions: 4 people

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Wil burn have you done any more experiments on beer and BG?
Yes, I have Totto. I had coors light mixed with low c. Had four pints and tested my self halfway through the third. I was 8.2 was really pleased with the result. Michelob ultra ( very hard to find) had three bottles and tested myself 2hrs after my last bottle, I was 5.8 brilliant. But I'm not into drinking at home, I like the social side of having a pint with the lads, so now I don't drink more than 4 lowc/coors. I did also try 2 pints of carlsberg and hit 10.3. But that was about half an hour after I'd finished the second. G n T and vodka with bottled diet coke don't have any effect on my bs at all.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pity about the Carlsberg. Brilliant news on the Michelob ultra, question is, did taste like beer?

What do you get on tap and what is bottled? Michelob? Carlsberg? Carlsberg makes a wide variety of bottled and canned beers, I should know as I'm Scandinavian.

As to taste and BG combined, what is your favourite so far?

I've moved to wine, mostly, and have no problems at all, quite the contrary. With a glass of wine or threeI can have starchy food in moderation without any significant raise in BG. So Saturday evening might yield a few chips or risotto.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I had a pint of pub cask ale yesterday and it didn't spike me at all. This is extremely good news coz I love my beer. Further experiments are planned in a controlled scientific environment. Or the pub.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Pity about the Carlsberg. Brilliant news on the Michelob ultra, question is, did taste like beer?

What do you get on tap and what is bottled? Michelob? Carlsberg? Carlsberg makes a wide variety of bottled and canned beers, I should know as I'm Scandinavian.

As to taste and BG combined, what is your favourite so far?

I've moved to wine, mostly, and have no problems at all, quite the contrary. With a glass of wine or threeI can have starchy food in moderation without any significant raise in BG. So Saturday evening might yield a few chips or risotto.
My favourite is the coors on draft with bottled low c. Quite strong too.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My favourite is the coors on draft with bottled low c. Quite strong too.
So what about Michelob then? The low carb star? Is it drinkable? Does it remind you if ever so slightly of actual beer? You see, I'm a serious low carber, having watched my dad live in pain and die from diabetes complications.

Can't say I'm very serious in other matters though.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
So what about Michelob then? The low carb star? Is it drinkable? Does it remind you if ever so slightly of actual beer? You see, I'm a serious low carber, having watched my dad live in pain and die from diabetes complications.

Can't say I'm very serious in other matters though.
It's not too bad. Its much like the others not sure really, kinda like a miller or bud very drinkable.

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
The coors lite low c combo is less the 5 gram of carbs. Its a good pub choice and luckily my local serves it. Not sure you'd ever find the Ultra in a boozer though. Bottles of Holsten Pils aren't too bad either.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The coors lite low c combo is less the 5 gram of carbs. Its a good pub choice and luckily my local serves it. Not sure you'd ever find the Ultra in a boozer though. Bottles of Holsten Pils aren't too bad either.
I'm making plans for a trip to the UK so am sort of collecting info on good things. I might see if I can find your local. ;)and then you can guide me through the different choices. Three pints will do me fine..