Type 1 Before bed

Job76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High readings
Should I have piece of brown toast if my reading is 6 before I go bed ??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends.
For some, 6 before bed is perfect when they are stable, and if they're not prone to nighttime hypos.
Others are seeing wildly fluctuating levels during the night, and for them 6 might be a tad on the low side.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Like most things with diabetes it’s a bit of trial and error try eating toast and if it affects blood sugar in a high form don’t do it again without insulin , in my opinion of myself I’ve been a guinea pig since I’ve had diabetes , there are rules but they have to be adjustable as one rule doesn’t fit all in the individual world of diabetes

Reactions: Jollymon

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
If my BG is 6, I think that is okay. If I am in any doubt, I would not have bread as that would be high glycaemic for me, but what I do enjoy is a couple of squares of dark chocolate. That tends to do the trick as it not only brings my BG up, but does it slowly AND I think it is delicious!!

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're prone to hypo at night, it's a good idea. I can't sleep if my blood sugar is too low and I toss and turn so much when that's happening that I wake up. I almost never take my blood measurement then (no amount of reasoning when I'm in those states has any effect) so I eat an apple or the equivalent and then in 20 minutes I'm relaxed and can sleep. To avoid this I often have something but not too much (without any rapid insulin) before I go to sleep in the first place - then I won't go too low.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Basal insulin is probably what’s in question here. Eating bread means there’s too much so you “feed it”.

So maybe basal rate testing is the answer. If you can hold a steady number all night then you don’t need toast. And you’re fine!

If you go high, then you need more insulin.

If you go low, then you’re taking too much. And then you’re fixing it with toast.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I personally wouldn't eat anything before bed but I do get a bit worried if it's a bit low , A couple of nights ago before bed I was 3.6 so had half a mini twix bar which is about 7 carbs and woke the next morning to a high of 11 so I would probably have been ok to leave it , It is a case of trial and error , lets just hope you don't have too many errors .

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before bed I would ensure that it is at least 4 hours before your last bolus.
If you dip low at a reading of 6 it is either because you've done a bout of vigorous exercise recently or still have active insulin on board . There are other possibilities around impaired digestion but I'd start with these 2 basics.
In that case the toast may help correct a downhill slide of your bgs, but then I'd be making sure my bolus matched up to what I was eating rather than have to snack at bedtime (fattening and crumbs get on the sheets)>