1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Beginner puzzling over carb content

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Hareph, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Hareph

Hareph Type 2 · Active Member

I thought I'd update this thread now that I'm two months into my T2D diagnosis.

Being directed earlier in the thread to a usable nutrition logging site, cronometer, made a major difference. I'd tried a year ago to log food and diet but I had no tools and it fell apart quickly. The other thing I didn't have a year ago was a diet plan. Having found a modified Newcastle Diet and stuck to it I'm now 10kg lighter and have no problem staying on track toward a target 21.5 BMI. This involves staying in ketosis for a total of 16 weeks with a medical inspection after 12 to tell me if I should stop it.

When I started the diet various things happened. My feet and hands felt uncomfortably and unnaturally cold for the first six weeks but that's worn off. My mind sharpened for the first time in a year, rather like a fog lifting. From week 2 I had a blood glucose meter and it's not registered any FBG reading over 7.2 mmol/L (130 mg/dl) since I got it, the average is just over 6 and there are a few 4.8, 4.9 lowest values. I'm bothered by the FBG, I'd be a lot happier if the readings were all between 3 and 5 but they're not and I don't know how to get them lower. I'll try exercise, at the moment I'm just walking around 45 minutes every day to get my shopping, it's time to try star jumps or trampolining.

I've looked online for any home test for insulin level, probably as C-peptide. There's nothing on the market that I can find. http://www.diabetesgenes.org/content/urine-c-peptide-creatinine-ratio discusses the validity of urine testing and it looks like a way to gauge insulin resistance but there's no kits for sale, just one-off blood tests at £90 a shot. I'm moderately sure I must be insulin resistant but I'd like to find out, and then keep tabs on how bad it is without burdening my NHS practice. Does anyone have a way forward with this?

Another month and I'll present myself to the DN for a review.

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Well done on your achievements so far :)

Medichecks do a fasting insulin and an insulin resistance test.
    https://www.medichecks.com/diabetes

A few people on here have used them, but you do have to find someone to draw the blood for you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is a very slight difference between UK/European/Australian cups and US cups. The UK cups are 250mls and US cups are 240mls, so UK half cups are 125mls whereas US half cups are 120mls (quarter cups tend to be the same at 60mls). However for most recipes the difference is small and won't affect the finished dish.

Well done on lowering your numbers!

• Like Like x 1
    #23 LouWilk059, Mar 5, 2018 at 5:02 PM
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook