Beginner puzzling over carb content

Hareph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd update this thread now that I'm two months into my T2D diagnosis.

Being directed earlier in the thread to a usable nutrition logging site, cronometer, made a major difference. I'd tried a year ago to log food and diet but I had no tools and it fell apart quickly. The other thing I didn't have a year ago was a diet plan. Having found a modified Newcastle Diet and stuck to it I'm now 10kg lighter and have no problem staying on track toward a target 21.5 BMI. This involves staying in ketosis for a total of 16 weeks with a medical inspection after 12 to tell me if I should stop it.

When I started the diet various things happened. My feet and hands felt uncomfortably and unnaturally cold for the first six weeks but that's worn off. My mind sharpened for the first time in a year, rather like a fog lifting. From week 2 I had a blood glucose meter and it's not registered any FBG reading over 7.2 mmol/L (130 mg/dl) since I got it, the average is just over 6 and there are a few 4.8, 4.9 lowest values. I'm bothered by the FBG, I'd be a lot happier if the readings were all between 3 and 5 but they're not and I don't know how to get them lower. I'll try exercise, at the moment I'm just walking around 45 minutes every day to get my shopping, it's time to try star jumps or trampolining.

I've looked online for any home test for insulin level, probably as C-peptide. There's nothing on the market that I can find. http://www.diabetesgenes.org/content/urine-c-peptide-creatinine-ratio discusses the validity of urine testing and it looks like a way to gauge insulin resistance but there's no kits for sale, just one-off blood tests at £90 a shot. I'm moderately sure I must be insulin resistant but I'd like to find out, and then keep tabs on how bad it is without burdening my NHS practice. Does anyone have a way forward with this?

Another month and I'll present myself to the DN for a review.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Since the Internet arrived I've become used to converting between US and UK measures. We don't use the same gallon or pint, the UK cup size is noticeably bigger too. So long as I've had breakfast and a coffee I can cope.
There is a very slight difference between UK/European/Australian cups and US cups. The UK cups are 250mls and US cups are 240mls, so UK half cups are 125mls whereas US half cups are 120mls (quarter cups tend to be the same at 60mls). However for most recipes the difference is small and won't affect the finished dish.

Well done on lowering your numbers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hareph