Beginning to feel desperate

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Been cut off a diabetes med. Due to shortages.
Getting very bad numbers . My Libre 2 shows me in range 9 percent of the time.
And my dr has only prescribed non insured meds. for me.
I'm getting scared and thinking desperately.
Like if I can't have medications then maybe I will eat 1 can of food a day.
So at least that won't be a factor. BTW I am on 2 insulins but clearly they aren't working being in range 9 percent of the time. It seems that the med. I was cut off of did most of the work.
Idk what to do. I've called the Dr 3x and the pharmacy 2x. There are no other Dr's.
I don't have other dr options.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Been cut off a diabetes med. Due to shortages.
Getting very bad numbers . My Libre 2 shows me in range 9 percent of the time.
And my dr has only prescribed non insured meds. for me.
I'm getting scared and thinking desperately.
Like if I can't have medications then maybe I will eat 1 can of food a day.
So at least that won't be a factor. BTW I am on 2 insulins but clearly they aren't working being in range 9 percent of the time. It seems that the med. I was cut off of did most of the work.
Idk what to do. I've called the Dr 3x and the pharmacy 2x. There are no other Dr's.
I don't have other dr options.
The pharmacy called the dr 2x.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where in the world are you?
what are you prescribed and what can’t you get?
have you asked the dr to prescribe meds that are covered by your insurance?

what else other than medication are you doing to control your levels? As a type 2 diet should be able to have a significant effect on your level - and that doesn’t mean starvation, it means choosing the right foods that don’t raise levels much at all.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

what else other than medication are you doing to control your levels? As a type 2 diet should be able to have a significant effect on your level - and that doesn’t mean starvation, it means choosing the right foods that don’t raise levels much at all.
In Canada.
Without enough funds to buy proper food for diabetes.
I was cut off ozempic which so far to this date has been the only med that helps.
Yes I asked my dr to prescribe meds covered by my insurance and so far he tried prescribing 2 more weekly injection meds. Not covered under my insurance. The pharmacy called twice to ask about other meds. But no response.
My trurapi and basaglar obviously don't help. And I have increased the doses.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you tried a walk in clinic or even emergency dept of hospital?
I've been told by another professional not to use the er that they don't give good diabetes treatment.
I can try a walk in but last time they said they couldn't help because they couldn't follow me. I think this means they want to be able to follow up but with the walk in you get whoever is working. And they won't tell you who is working so you can request that dr. And they are camera Dr's. There are no in person walking anymore. They left in covid. But I can always go try again. On a warmer weather day as I have to walk there and in the dark.
Have you tried a walk in clinic or even emergency dept of hospital?

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Maybe take small rapid insulin doses every few hours til it goes down?
Increased Basal already from 48 to 65 it doesn't seem to work. And no lows. Nothing better than one 8.4 in several weeks.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are quite a few YouTube videos to help with low carb on a budget and ‘ketogenic woman’ (just to name one) lives in Canada so she may have some ideas for you for the things you can buy. I think trying your hardest to buy food that aren’t processed is the better way to go. Eggs, cheese, the cheaper cuts of meat that can be slow cooked especially in this colder weather Might be worth a try?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I've been told by another professional not to use the er that they don't give good diabetes treatment.
I can try a walk in but last time they said they couldn't help because they couldn't follow me. I think this means they want to be able to follow up but with the walk in you get whoever is working. And they won't tell you who is working so you can request that dr. And they are camera Dr's. There are no in person walking anymore. They left in covid. But I can always go try again. On a warmer weather day as I have to walk there and in the dark.
Surely any diabetes treatment is better than none. Personally if it were me, I would try the walk in and perhaps you might get lucky and get a professional that will help you more this time. Failing that why not ring the emergency service, call 911. I would suspect they will be able to direct you if they deem it not an emergency. Any help is better than none x

Reactions: jjraak and cdpm

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe take small rapid insulin doses every few hours til it goes down?
Increased Basal already from 48 to 65 it doesn't seem to work. And no lows. Nothing better than one 8.4 in several weeks.
Now you don't have access to the Ozempic anymore, it makes sense you'll need higher doses of insulin for it to work properly.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It leads to such despair because I've tried everything I can.
I'm boxed into a corner.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and jjraak

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We don't have funds for meat anymore. Beef and pork I'm intolerant to.
The food banks allow 2 to 3 days of food help every other month.
I cannot chew so I can only eat soups mainly. Toothless.
We get cheese and eggs once a month if there's a sale. In which I have bathroom issues with the cheese. The vegetables are totally out of reach and the reduced racks sell them literally rotting for near the full original asking prices.

Don't believe the happy good publications about Canada. I live here. Most of it is not true.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Now you don't have access to the Ozempic anymore, it makes sense you'll need higher doses of insulin for it to work properly.
Yes. I thought the dr would see this but seems not to .

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Surely any diabetes treatment is better than none. Personally if it were me, I would try the walk in and perhaps you might get lucky and get a professional that will help you more this time. Failing that why not ring the emergency service, call 911. I would suspect they will be able to direct you if they deem it not an emergency. Any help is better than none x
Yes I will try that. I just need a warmer weather day and someone to walk with me there because it won't be safe to walk at night alone.

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71 and JAT1

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There are quite a few YouTube videos to help with low carb on a budget and ‘ketogenic woman’ (just to name one) lives in Canada so she may have some ideas for you for the things you can buy. I think trying your hardest to buy food that aren’t processed is the better way to go. Eggs, cheese, the cheaper cuts of meat that can be slow cooked especially in this colder weather Might be worth a try?
Thank you I will look for them.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Lainie71

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't have funds for meat anymore. Beef and pork I'm intolerant to.
The food banks allow 2 to 3 days of food help every other month.
I cannot chew so I can only eat soups mainly. Toothless.
We get cheese and eggs once a month if there's a sale. In which I have bathroom issues with the cheese. The vegetables are totally out of reach and the reduced racks sell them literally rotting for near the full original asking prices.

Don't believe the happy good publications about Canada. I live here. Most of it is not true.
So what do you currently eat? at what sort of cost?
Can or will you cook at all?
What’s the availability and cost of frozen or tinned chicken, fish, and vegetables if fresh are so expensive?
How are you with fats like butter?

Im curious how much eggs cost there. On a comparison website it suggested eggs and cheese were cheaper in Canada than the uk but it was written a year ago

Reactions: cdpm