Being a mom with diabetes type 1

Talikvmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey there, any moms around with dm type 1? I’m currently using the Medtronic 640 pump and freestyle Libre sensor. Thinking about getting the omnipod but have some doubts about it also because of my 2 younger kids… hopefully will get some answers here! :)

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a mum I'm afraid, but I do have two children - why are you doubtful about the Omnipod in relation to your kids? Are you worried about them pulling it off by accident?

Talikvmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes! Placing it on my arms or belly for me is the most comfortable place but not sure if this works cause of my two kids. Maybe a good bandage over it will help. Also I sleep on my side (left and right during the night) so if I place it on my arm can I still lay on this arm? With the Freestyle sensor this is not a problem..

Reactions: SimonP78

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My children are good about not attacking me, or more usually asking which arm my Libre2 is on before they then attack me! :)

I'm not sure I can help, sorry. I do find I need to be a bit careful to avoid a sensor being ripped off while grappling or doing piggybacks and the like, but I think it's a reasonable price to pay for the data until something better comes along.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can, yes, though in order to prevent a compression low I tend to either shove the pillow under my shoulder so my libre is not compressed or stick something (scrunched up duvet) under my elbow for the same reason. I do observe things in my overnight BG trace that indicate I've probably rolled over and have lain on the sensor for a little while but I guess I must move around as they don't ever last particularly long/set off any false alarms.

I do now sleep on my back more often than I used to before I had a libre. I certainly wake up that way these days even though I go to sleep on my side. OTOH perhaps that always happened and I never used to pay it any attention.

The libre is comparatively small compared to the omnipod, so I'd see what users of that system have to say - it must be possible though.

Going back to the question of children catching it, mine were very quick to remember that I didn't want them to swing on my upper arms, or at least not without checking which one was out of bounds.

Talikvmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the information hihi :) I’m guessing it’s not comfortable tho sleeping on the Omnipod? I would always place it on my belly I guess and the sensor on my arms. Also another question if I may! If you place it on your belly exactly where the upper side of your jean is, is it painful/annoying? Cause I wear different jeans (low waist, high waist etc) and because it’s quite a big patch pump it might be not comfortable. Sorry for my English, I’m Dutch.

Talikvmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also my kids are 3 months and 2,5 year old. The oldest understands it when I say don’t do this it hurts, but that is after it already happened

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also my kids are 3 months and 2,5 year old. The oldest understands it when I say don’t do this it hurts, but that is after it already happened
Mine are 12 and 9, so much heavier when they do swing on my arms! But at least they do understand :)

Thank you for the information hihi :) I’m guessing it’s not comfortable tho sleeping on the Omnipod? I would always place it on my belly I guess and the sensor on my arms. Also another question if I may! If you place it on your belly exactly where the upper side of your jean is, is it painful/annoying? Cause I wear different jeans (low waist, high waist etc) and because it’s quite a big patch pump it might be not comfortable. Sorry for my English, I’m Dutch.
I don't have a pump only the Libre2 so will have to wait for someone who does to response.

Your English is fine, don't worry!

Reactions: Talikvmi