Being induced with diabetes

Lolli24

Hi! As some of you may know I'm being induced tomorrow at 36 weeks. I'm looking for some advice from other mummies that have been Induced or even what it's like to be in long labour as a diabetic. I'm just really looking for some advice and to read some personal experiences so I can know what to expect. I'm not keen to go on a sliding scale but other than that I'm clueless. Xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lolli, have your hospital given you a leaflet? My consultant gave me a general leaflet about induction. If they haven't, you could ask them for one.

Mine isn't specifically for diabetes, but it has good general info.

You could also Google for 'induction of labour' and the name of your hospital.

I'm going in in the morning if the day of induction, having 30 mins monitoring of me and baby, then having a Propess pessary which stays in for 24 hours. This is to soften the cervix. If that works and the cervix opens, they'll then try to break the waters. That may be enough or I may have to have a drip to stimulate contractions too.

I was worried about the pessary and wondered how quickly it works. I googled and found the average time it took to work was approx 19 hours. But for some women it worked quicker or slower. Some women can get crampy pains with it, while some feel nothing very much. The main thing to bear in mind is that it could be a long process so don't expect loads to happen very quickly. My leaflet said to bring books and magazines.

Once you're in established labour, you'll be moved down to the delivery suite. Often, they'll move you there too to break your waters, and they almost definitely will if you have the drip up as it can make strong contractions happen very quickly.

It's completely normal to worry - I am too! It's the not knowing how long it'll all take. I hope it goes quickly and easily for,you.

Reactions: 2 people

samtov

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi hun. I was induced with my little boy who is now 9 months old. My first pessary was used on the Wednesday and I had him early hours Saturday morning. I didn't find my diabetes to be an issue whilst I was in labour. I don't even remember if I had a hypo. I think I was concentrating so much on getting him here safe. The hospital I was in monitored me closely. I was put on the sliding scale and to be honest I wouldn't think twice about being put on it again. I stayed at 4 all the way through. I was induced early because I was hypoing alot. Try not to worry too much, and try to enjoy it. Although if someone said that to me at the time I think I would of hurt them haha. X

Reactions: 2 people

Lolli24

Hi hun. I was induced with my little boy who is now 9 months old. My first pessary was used on the Wednesday and I had him early hours Saturday morning. I didn't find my diabetes to be an issue whilst I was in labour. I don't even remember if I had a hypo. I think I was concentrating so much on getting him here safe. The hospital I was in monitored me closely. I was put on the sliding scale and to be honest I wouldn't think twice about being put on it again. I stayed at 4 all the way through. I was induced early because I was hypoing alot. Try not to worry too much, and try to enjoy it. Although if someone said that to me at the time I think I would of hurt them haha. X

Thanks that's brilliant to know! The reason I'm being induced is due to hypos too but also coz I can't feel them so I'm more worried I'll have one and of course I won't know! I'm glad you said the sliding scale was needed I feel better about having that now too! I know it's different for everyone and I just hope I'm not in pain for days! Do I need my partner with me the whole time or is it only worth him coming once waters break?xx

samtov

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The pain I started having was like mild period pains from the Wednesday night, I slept through them and then the Friday morning my waters broke and that's when my contractions got more regular. My partner stayed with me the first night and went home for the second then stayed again on the Friday night, but stayed during the days. Looking back now, he should of stayed from waters breaking but I was scared and didn't know what to expect. That's personal preference I suppose. Awe it makes me all broody again. X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck and all the best for a not to long labour and safe delivery :)

Take care, I'm so pleased for you.

Best wishes RRB x

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lolli. I was induced at 37 weeks. Had pessary put in at 7pm on the weds, started contracting at about 10pm that evening...they continued for 20hrs but didn't increase (although I maxed out on tablet painkillers so I thought it was pretty bad!). I spent the next day climbing flights of stairs and doing lunges (with my husband holding me with each contraction). That evening I was examined (still 1cm dilated, ggrr), given a sweep. My waters then broke at about 9pm and the contractions really picked up at that point. After about 30mins I had a hypo of 2.0 which I couldn't get to come up with oral stuff (was feeling really sick with contractions and gas and air which didn't help) so at this point they took me to delivery suite, and put me on a sliding scale. I was examined at 10pm, was 4cm and requested an epidural but this was delayed by an hour as the anaesthetist was busy. When she arrived an hour later to do the epidural I was fully dilated (so didn't need it) and Rosie arrived just after midnight after a normal delivery. I had been against a sliding scale before hand but in the end I didn't even notice. As I'm an obstetrician myself I had fully anticipated everything to go wrong but it all worked out find in the end!
Good luck tomorrow! I hope it goes well and can't wait to hear that your wee girl has arrived safely and you are well. Xxx