Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi all,

Not strictly diabtes-related but still has an impact on my T1 none the less!

Long story cut short - T1 for 16 years, just been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and EVERY possible symptom, working 50-60 hours each week between a full-time and a part time job (this is non-negociable for the near future as I need the extra money). With all of this going on I am absolutly exhaused and have had 2 nasty colds and a urine infection in the last month from the exhaustion. I want to visit my GP to see if I am able to be signed off for a couple of weeks so I can sort out my health and just take some time to rest. Is this a valid reason though? I'm not just being lazy or simply 'tired' - I'm literally burnt out.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Miss90

I can sympathise exactly with how your feeling, i've got an underactive thyroid as well as t1, work full time, am a mum, and have to run a house, cook, clean as well as walk a dog, it can be overwhelming at times juggling all the balls, speak to your GP and see what they can come up with but you need to take some time out to look after yourself and get yourself right again otherwise you'll keep falling ill and feeling burnt out, best wishes J

Reactions: karen8967

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Miss90

You absolutely need time off an no its not lazy at all! How can you manage yourself wen youre so tired and poorly. You cant pour from an empty cup as they say so take ur rest and feel better x
Hi all,

Long story cut short - T1 for 16 years, just been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and EVERY possible symptom, working 50-60 hours each week between a full-time and a part time job (this is non-negociable for the near future as I need the extra money). With all of this going on I am absolutly exhaused and have had 2 nasty colds and a urine infection in the last month from the exhaustion. I want to visit my GP to see if I am able to be signed off for a couple of weeks so I can sort out my health and just take some time to rest. Is this a valid reason though? I'm not just being lazy or simply 'tired' - I'm literally burnt out.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Miss90, you are able to self-certify yourself as unfit for work for up to 7 days. The following link might be helpful:

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

Perhaps you could consider taking a few days, just to get a little bit straight, then if you still (quite justifiably it sounds) really under the weather, you could see your Doc to lengthen your time away from work.

I assume you have been started on treatment for your hyperthyroidism? It can take a while to sort that pesky little gland out when it goes awry, so do try to be patient. I'm sure that in itself will help you be able to rest more effectively. With hyperthyroidism your body is working harder and faster than it should be. No wonder you're exhausted.

I do hope you feel better soon.

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just pretty much adding to everything that has already been said, but I understand completely where you are coming from!

I am self employed and always intend to take holidays and time off as I get that 'burnt out' feeling and start to feel unwell but always say I can't manage without the income! I can't believe sometimes the times I have carried on working when really I just feel like curling up in bed! BUT! I am learning that you need that time off!

You are going through a difficult time healthwise and I hope that your G.P is sympathetic, It's not laziness it's common sense! Something I also need reminding of at times too.

I do so hope you start feeling better soon :)

bmtest

It's simple if you are feeling burnt out you need rest and remember not to worry about going back it's like getting off fast roundabout its not always easy to get back on at the same speed you got off.

Therefore use the 2 weeks wisely to think how to do things smarter.