Being stereotyped?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fed up of people saying to me you can't eat this, can't eat that cause they know I'm diabetic. They know that, but have no clue of my type , or other types for that matter.

type 1 (me)~ autoimmune, through no fault of the individual.
to me this would cover type 1/lada (1.5), although the later being more difficult to control.
All be it leading to production of none/little insulin. (Eat normal diet according to age/build/height etc, regular exercise, injecting insulin that would otherwise be produced naturally, so not overeating and noir having any extra insulin which my.body would otherwise produce.

type 2, where insulin resistance is the problem but caused through genetics and not diet/lifestyle. No daily of individual (think this would cover mody)

Gestational due to pregnancy, can sometimes, but not always continue after birth, maybe a trigger for type 1, or trigger for genetic type 2. Again, no fault of individual

Brittle diabetes, nightmare, no patterns, but not very common.

and heres my type 3
by being overweight through overeating, and not burning the excess off.

none of the above caused by eating a diet containing carbs, occasional sugary treat within recommended calorie allowance for said individual, partaking in regular activity.

so why do the press out of all the different types focus solely on the last one?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
brett said:
so why do the press out of all the different types focus solely on the last one?

Lazy! Unwilling to think beyond what has been said before!!

<Sorry, Is this another stereotype :lol: :lol: >

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes covers such a wide range of conditions that no average journalist has the brain-power to digest it all or even cares. Mind you insulin resistance thru obesity is the fastest growing area of diabetes so perhaps it's understandable that the focus is on that?

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please don't call your version of the lazy ones Type 3....
Type 3c is surgical diabetes due to damaged pancreas, which can range from similar to Type1 to similar to Type 2.

I have had my pancreas totally removed, I have Brittle Diabetes, its not much fun,

Well meaning post, I know but there is already a Type 3 classification :)

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, wecan't call them T4 either because that section is devoted to gestational diabetes, so it will have to be type 5. I don't think that's taken!
(though seriously, those for whom there is a known genetic cause, like people with MODY or MIDDY or diabetes caused as a result of cystic fibrosis(a genetic disease) are already part of the very large T3 classification)

Quinkes

I am also a post surgical Diabetic, I never really know which classification I fit in. As a survivor of pancreatic cancer and after many years of Diabetic denial, I am paying for it now...