Bendroflumethiazide

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
My cardiologist wants me to take bendroflumethiazide. I have read that this sends bg up. Any advice.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would ask your cardiologist in the light of raised blood sugar if there is not an alternative to this particular drug.

If there is not then discuss with him/her the relative risks involved diabetes versus the condition the drug is for and accordingly accept his/her recommendation or reject it, After all it is your decision but should be an informed one.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I'm on this medication, and have been for some years. It is a diuretic (as you probably know) and I was started on it for very swollen feet and ankles. It has never affected my BG at all. If you self test your blood glucose, then you can let the cardiologist know immediately.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on this .. your diabetes is fixable ... your heart not so easy .. I have it for my heart failure .. and yes its is all a diuretic

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you. Yes I know it's a diuretic. He has send me to my Gp to get the change of prescription. I'm seeing him tomorrow. Yes I do test my bg. Having heart scan in Jan to see extent of heart failure. Stress test first then rest test. I will start to take it and see what it does, if anything. Not sure if I will see the consultant again, depends on the results.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you. Yes I know it's a diuretic. He has send me to my Gp to get the change of prescription. I'm seeing him tomorrow. Yes I do test my bg. Having heart scan in Jan to see extent of heart failure. Stress test first then rest test. I will start to take it and see what it does, if anything. Not sure if I will see the consultant again, depends on the results.
I'm with you all the way. :)
My consultant noted the same about depending on scan results depends on needing a consultation. I've video footaged of my blown up left side of my abdomen as it gets stage fright in hospital.
I know scarey but I'm thankful I have you to bounce off. We can hold each others hand? (Virtually)
I'm sure we'll be fine. Whatever happens, we're not alone. I've had a poster contact me and she has totally chilled me out about it. I was getting witless.
We will be fine. No matter what ;)

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I saw my GP this morning and he was concerned about twice the dose of perorindril and adding the bendroflumethiazide so refused to do both so just doubled then dose of perorindril . Got to take own blood pressure we every two days. Blood test first week of Jan and see him afterwards. Seems right to me. I have cancelled my holiday in February. Lost 50% of money. Grr

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I saw my GP this morning and he was concerned about twice the dose of perorindril and adding the bendroflumethiazide so refused to do both so just doubled then dose of perorindril . Got to take own blood pressure we every two days. Blood test first week of Jan and see him afterwards. Seems right to me. I have cancelled my holiday in February. Lost 50% of money. Grr
I'm sorry about your holiday loss hun :( I hope once settled medically you can make up for it. Hopefully it won't be long.

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
One of those things I guess. We send some time with my oldest daughter who lives in Yorkshire. That will be lovely as I don't see her very much and miss her. Good luck ickihun with the new medication. When will you get the results of your scan.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
One of those things I guess. We send some time with my oldest daughter who lives in Yorkshire. That will be lovely as I don't see her very much and miss her. Good luck ickihun with the new medication. When will you get the results of your scan.
Not sure.
I think I'll either get a letter saying cardiologist no longer needs to see me or I'll get another scan/apoointment, I think. All depends on what they see sunday, I guess.
If furosemide stops my breathlessness as well as swellings I'll be more than happy.
Pain relief cheering me up too, I'm not so miserable.

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Help please. I have been taking 8mg of perorindril since Tuesday morning and been measuring my blood pressure each day. Each day it has increased. This morning really high 148/98. But worried about this as GP was worried about it going to low. Thinking of phoning on Monday morning to see it I can either get an appointment or a phone call. What do others think?

lindisfel

Expert

If you have heart failure I would ask why the potassium sparing diuretics Spironolactone or better still Eplerenone are not appropriate?

Heart failure usually causes a c.4X increase in the hormone Aldosterone which causes increase bp, loss of potassium and sodium retention. Potassium is lost together with sodium when one takes Bendrofluazide.

Just Google, best diuretics for heart failure. My guess is you will come up with a potassium sparing diuretic.

I have been on the one you will be taking, it didn't work for me. Now I take Eplerenone, but I do have Conn's syndrome.
a.t.b.
Derek

Last edited:

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Off the bendroflumethiazide. I have had 4 tablets and unable to sleep last night with the pain in my calf muscle. I phoned the doctors this morning and now been put on doxazosin. I have made an appointment for 4th January. First appointment I could get.
Still got pain but not so bad.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Off the bendroflumethiazide. I have had 4 tablets and unable to sleep last night with the pain in my calf muscle. I phoned the doctors this morning and now been put on doxazosin. I have made an appointment for 4th January. First appointment I could get.
Still got pain but not so bad.
Oh @1954jessy I'm sorry to hear of your pain. Isn't calf pain a sign of heart failure thou? What pain killer are you taking for calf pain?