Berocca

PatTheBaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has Maltodextrin in it. Is it a sugar or an artificial sweetner? Will it raise my blood glucose level? I cant find any definitive info on Maltodextrin.

Grazer

Maltodextrin is a complex carbohydrate, as high on the GI scale as glucose, and twice as high as table sugar. So far so not good. However, it depends on the quantity used as to the effect on your blood sugar. It's used in Splenda to bulk it out, but splenda is ok for us as not much of this is used. You need to look at the nutrition conternt of the overall thing that has the maltodextrin in and see the total carb content of that. then you can judge if you think it's ok.

Grazer

Found berocca. The carb content per tablet is 0 to 1.6 according to manufacturer; so if you only take one, seems fine.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
Interesting grazer thanks :thumbup:
I take one of these as a daily vitamin top up drink...
Thought I was safe with doing this as it states 'sugar free' on the tube n packaging.
Anna.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
It's quite interesting - I've been taking Berocca in an attempt to raise my cholesterol.

I googled "Berocca Carbohydrate" which took me to (what I now realise is) a South African website:
http://www.berocca.co.za/stress_faq.php
Q: Does Berocca contain carbohydrates
A: Carbohydrates are macronutrients and are not contained in our products. We deal specifically with micronutrients (i.e vitamins and minerals).

I took this as gospel, until I just read this thread. If I go to the uk Berocca website, it tells me something different:
http://www.berocca.co.uk/berocca-supplement-faqs.htm#14
Q: Is Berocca suitable for diabetics?
A: Effervescent Berocca tablets contain sweeteners and sugar, although the sugar present is a very small amount (sucrose - 0.13% of the tablet). The effervescent tablets contain 276.45mg mannitol, 20mg acesulfame, 25mg aspartame and 6mg sucrose. Film-coated Berocca tablets contain 25.45mg mannitol, 13.44mg polydextrose and 94.3mg lactose.

We have no specific recommendations regarding the suitability of Berocca for diabetic patients and we suggest you speak with your GP or another healthcare professional to get further advice.

Are the South African tables different? Or are they simply telling fibs on the South African website?

Grazer

As I said Boro, they vary from pill to pill. Some are zero carbs, some up to 1.6 grams per tab.
Here's a list of different ones:-

Berocca Performance Orange Flavour (Bayer)
Serving Size: 1 effervescent tablet, Calories: 5.3, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 0g
Berocca Performance Original Flavour (Bayer)
Serving Size: 1 effervescent tablet, Calories: 5.3, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 0g
Effervescent (Berocca)
Serving Size: 1 tablet, Calories: 5.3, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 0g
Multivitamin (Berocca)
Orange Effervescent Tablet (Berocca)
Serving Size: 1 tablet, Calories: 5, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 0g
Boost, Vitamins, Minerals & Guarana (Berocca)
Serving Size: 1 tablet, Calories: 2, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 1g, Protein: 0g
Tropical Flavour (Berocca)
Serving Size: 1 Effervescent Tablet, Calories: 0, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 0g
Mixed Berries Flavour (Berocca)
Effervescent Tablet (Berocca)
Performance Multivitamin (Berocca)
Serving Size: 1 tablet, Calories: 41, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 1.6g, Protein: 0g
Vitaminas, Calcio Y Magnesio (Berocca)
Serving Size: 1 tablet, Calories: 0, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 0g
Miltivitamin (Berocca Effervescent - Tropical Flavour)
Serving Size: 1 Tablet, Calories: 0, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 0g