"Berries Are a Diabetes-Friendly Food"

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
to be as polite as possible , either your I:C ratios need an adjustment or they ( mixed berries)are something that doesn't suit you so best to avoid.

have you done a carb counting course since diagnosis ?
Perhaps some basal testing as well to make sure it is a spike from the berries ( or any food )

If it were me getting increased BG results from eating the same food -- i would speak to my care team and make appropriate adjustments to my insulin regime.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What symptoms of DKA do you have @Steve14 ?

If the berries don't suit you, perhaps you should go back to,strawberries? 'Diabetes friendly' is pretty meaningless when you have Type 1. You may still need to bolus for them.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you have the same reaction to these berries?

No, eat berries most days (mainly blueberries) and don't get a weird after-taste and just bolus for the carbs they contain, as @azure says if they have that effect switch back to strawberries.

Reactions: suginami

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I eat strawberries everyday , when I can't get any it's raspberries or blueberries. Only time I've had a problem is when I've forgotten to bolus for them :-(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That link was a T2 link, for type 2 diabetics. Now, of course berries are just a food, and not specifically designed for one type or another, but it does kind of highlight the difference between individuals and diabetic types.

As a T2, looking at that photo illustration, my first thoughts are 'what a huge portion, I would only be able to tolerate about one fifth of that, maybe it is just one of those pretty artistic licence photos pulled off a royalty-free picture site' and my second thought (on reading the recipe) would be 'those blueberries would be an issue. I do better with strawberries and raspberries. I would never eat more than half a dozen bluebs in one sitting.'

I generally stick to 2-3 average strawberries or raspberries, with half a dozen blueberries, and even then I put cream with them, because that slows the spike.

Imagining that I was a T1 on insulin, I would start with very small portions, increase slowly, and match my insulin to the effect of the carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There's a very simple answer to this. It requires you to Carb count. As @azure says, you are T1 which means that foods that are advised as being okay for T2s and not raising blood glucose levels by too much (and in this context, berries are relatively high fibre for their carbs, so for many T2s don't spike insulin), are still likely to affect you as a t1.

Generically, berries are around 10g of carbs per 100g, and this is mostly sugars, so regardless of what website links say, for the majority of T1s it is necessary to bolus for them.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Strawberries have 6g carbs per 100g.
Blueberries have 14g carbs per 100g.
That's quite a difference, so be careful.

Reactions: 2 people

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I do carb counting and yes, the fruits were fresh. Always bought at the local market when it was fresh, but they ran out of strawberries and I had to switch to different kind of berries.

The weird thing is that the current mixture of berries sometimes have a weird taste..... like a bug spray kind of taste? Especially the blackberries.

Thanks for all the great responses! :happy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The weird thing is that the current mixture of berries sometimes have a weird taste..... like a bug spray kind of taste? Especially the blackberries.

Be sure to wash all fruit before eating, I do except when they are frozen.

Regards to Blueberries, one time I was a bit of a snob and would only eat fresh, however the quality was hit & miss and sometimes they would turn before I'd finished the punnet so switched to frozen and never had any issues sense :)

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be sure to wash all fruit before eating, I do except when they are frozen.

Regards to Blueberries, one time I was a bit of a snob and would only eat fresh, however the quality was hit & miss and sometimes they would turn before I'd finished the punnet so switched to frozen and never had any issues sense :)

I find that fruit especially berries that we buy in the supermarket goes off far quicker even when kept in the fridge than fruit from market stalls. I had some strawberries for Tesco a couple of weeks ago and some of them were going mouldy by the next day

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I find that fruit especially berries that we buy in the supermarket goes off far quicker even when kept in the fridge than fruit from market stalls. I had some strawberries for Tesco a couple of weeks ago and some of them were going mouldy by the next day

Tell me about it, we found Lidl's fruit to be the worst for this.

Steve14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very nice suggestions, thank you! I will definetly check the berries for mold. :cool: