best bread for a Type2.

myrio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
VEGETABLES
I wondered what is best bread for me i am carb counting and need to get bread that is easy to get i cant afford to get speialist bread online so need one that is available from supermarket

A

asparagusp

I haven;t tried this bread yet but saw it in Wholefoods, London - Seeded bread - The Heart Of Nature. It's not made with flour or yeast. It looks great! - http://www.smakosztraditio.com/index.php - Expensive but looks as if it will last you a few days!

slider-all-eng.jpg

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Burgen Soya & Linseed bread is available at most supermarkets for about £1.50 per loaf, and is probably the lowest carb bread widely available.
If you are near a LIDL they do a High Protein Roll which is very low carb. It's seeded. brown and triangular and cost 29p each.

Reactions: azure

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Weight Watchers Malted Danish Sliced Bread is about 9.0 g of carbs and 51 calories per slice. My local co-op stocks it the slices are however on the small side.

A

asparagusp

You cannot get purer and healthier than the bread I mention. You could email the company to ask for the carbohydrate count. I hate the name Burgen and for that reason alone wouldn't buy any of their products although I have tried their soya and linseed bread.. Vogel was the first to manufacture soya and linseed bread and it is actually tastier. I see is available from Tesco,and Waitrose.

LN_035513_BP_10.jpg

M

mist

Weight Watchers Malted Danish Sliced Bread is about 9.0 g of carbs and 51 calories per slice. My local co-op stocks it the slices are however on the small side.

Tiny bread is pointless bread. A man needs a proper slice, as thick as a doorstop and loaded with bacon..:p

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All bread is pretty carb intensive so if you are trying to restrict your carb intake then it's best avoided.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what are good substitutes of bread?
for sandwiches and wraps I would use lettuce or ham. For breadcrumbs something like pork scratchings whizzed in a food processor or even better eat meals that don't have bread requirements. And I would never use oatcakes... ever..
But I was answering from my own perspective of a non medicated Type 2 controlling via diet alone. I do realise that for Type 1's things can be differently managed.

A

asparagusp

The old adage here is "eat to your meter" BulkBiker has problems with oatcakes. I don't. You maybe will be okay!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The old adage here is "eat to your meter" BulkBiker has problems with oatcakes. I don't. You maybe okay!
I don't "have a problem with them" per se I just don't see the point of eating useless carbs. I'd rather use a daily carb allowance for green veg or salad, thats all. The OP said they were carb counting so presumably trying to restrict carb consumption hence my reply.

Reactions: Snapsy

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you don't mind dark bread then there is a wonderful recipe from DietDoctor 'Low Carb Bread'. It makes 8 rolls and they have 2g carbs in each. It has a bread like texture and taste is pretty good too. Just a little unusual in colour!

M

mist

If you don't mind dark bread then there is a wonderful recipe from DietDoctor 'Low Carb Bread'. It makes 8 rolls and they have 2g carbs in each. It has a bread like texture and taste is pretty good too. Just a little unusual in colour!

More carbs in a sheet of loo roll! :woot: