best bread for a Type2.

adp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I recommend no bread at all. I am trying a very low carb regime and have reduced Insulin from 174 units per day to 118 units per day.
So , don't buy the stuff!

Reactions: Snapsy
A

asparagusp

I recommend no bread at all. I am trying a very low carb regime and have reduced Insulin from 174 units per day to 118 units per day.
So , don't buy the stuff!

I'm sorry but some people can tolerate the odd slice. "Eat to your meter"

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Essentially I agree with @bulkbiker regarding (NOT!!) eating unecessary carbs, but I like an occasional low carb muffin or slice of bread for another source of fibre and various oils from seeds and nuts. It's just another way of including these in my diet, but I don't normally eat quite so low carb as he does, so have a tiny bit more wiggle room. :D

I make my own bread, some of it with ready mixes from Sukrin which are a bit expensive but a doddle to bake, and my own recipe for sesame flour & milled flaxseed (aka linseed) "bread". Both are around 2g carbs a slice but they're lady rather than man size, though because they're fairly dense they're actually much more filling than standard carby bread. Sesame flour is also highish in protein, ans the bread is fine to toast and I've also made dip butties /fried bread with it using bacon fat.

But there are dozens of low carb bread recipes floating around on the web, some lower carb than others, so it's worth a bit of Googling. Your meter will tell you what's acceptable for you spike (or other) wise!

Robbity

Reactions: Susikav and Prem51

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bulkbiker thank you for posting that link. There are some brilliant recipes there. I'm going to try the bread rolls. :)

Reactions: Susikav

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried Oopsie bread. Easy to make. To be honest I was just curious to see how eggs and cream cheese could make anything that even resembled bread, but they are a staple for me now. I love them. I prefer them without the psysillium husk.
http://www.food.com/recipe/oopsie-bread-497736
I also adapted the recipe by adding a little sweetener and made a yummy roulade.
roulade.jpg

A

asparagusp

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chickpea flour is still very high in carbs.. 48g per 100g not good for us type 2's..

A

asparagusp

Chickpea flour is still very high in carbs.. 48g per 100g not good for us type 2's..

I thought that would be your answer and as I said not all of us are on an extremely low carbohydrate diet. We also test to see what food is viable for us! It's low GI too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that would be your answer and as I said not all of us are on an extremely low carbohydrate diet. We also test to see what food is viable for us! It's low GI too.
The trouble is the original poster has stated they are carb counting so to keep on posting high carb alternatives is not very helpful. I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the Lidl high protein roll. @myrio have you seen those? They are a triangular roll baked in store in Lidl. There are a few threads about them on this forum.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Another option is fathead pizza dough. If you make it square instead of round you can cut it into "slices" of bread. It is extremely low carb and reminds me of foccacia (sp?) bread. Recipes for it all over the net.

Reactions: Susikav
D

Deleted member 308541

I have cut the bread I eat at breakfast down by 50% to two slices of bread.

Bread is not on the menu for the rest of the day anymore, so I have cut my bread intake by eight slices per day.

Reactions: Snapsy