Best Diet for Type 1

• Thread starter Deleted member 391597
  • Start Date

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weight gain/weight loss: if you eat more calories than your body uses you put weight on, and if you use more calories than you eat you lose weight, that how it goes as far as I'm aware,
tbh I've not looked at the lchf thing, a non d mate of mine was trying keto to rid weight, personally I find fried bacon & mushrooms to be good for the odd treat and not a regular food and don't understand why a diet classed as high in fat is good, but as with life it takes all sorts. I always look to eat white meat, veg and rice for my carbs for tea as you can weigh it, sauces of no more than 7g carbs/100g, tuna's a filling lunch, with a slice of bread if needed for my blood sugar, same as for breakfast, porridge and eggs, and wholemeal bread as I can inject for this maybe needing a rich tea biscuit mid morning.
No processed food if I can help it :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The question I would have is, why would you ever do that. What's the point in taking the risk?

Hmm, sorry, you'll have to rephrase the question to make it clearer why you think a steak bake is a risk.

It's about 30g carb, so I just figure out how much insulin I need for that, and then make any required adjustments later on if it turned out my call was wrong.

As @db89 has mentioned, the only real risk is getting napalmed by a scoosh of red hot gravy....

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm, sorry, you'll have to rephrase the question to make it clearer why you think a steak bake is a risk.

It's about 30g carb, so I just figure out how much insulin I need for that, and then make any required adjustments later on if it turned out my call was wrong.

As @db89 has mentioned, the only real risk is getting napalmed by a scoosh of red hot gravy....
I could murder a cheese pasty or mince pie. I haven't tried any since a slice if corned beef pie sent my bloods into sugar hell and stayed there for a while.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you tackle this kind of food? How many units of insulin? When? Before, after or during?

I want to eat a cheese pasty without it being too much hassle.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I could murder a cheese pasty or mince pie. I haven't tried any since a slice if corned beef pie sent my bloods into sugar hell and stayed there for a while.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you tackle this kind of food? How many units of insulin? When? Before, after or during?

I want to eat a cheese pasty without it being too much hassle.

Now, Jc, there's a good title for a new chapter in the DAFNE course - "eating cheese pasties without hassle"....

If I recall correctly, you're relatively recently dx'd so everything I'm about to say is a bit like, I do this, but don't necessarily try this at home: you've maybe still got honeymoon going on and are still getting used to insulin etc. etc., whereas I've been around the block a bit and can be a bit more confident with insulin.

The medical term for it is being more "aggressive", which is understood by docs as using the right amount of insulin for the situation, but is often misunderstood as meaning "reckless".

Anyway, that caveat aside, my take on it would be that I'd likely know beforehand from prior pasty experiences roughly how many carbs it is, or I'd do some googling/Carbs&Cals, to get a rough idea, I'd know that pastry can be absorbed quite quickly, but the absorption is slowed a lot by the cheese in it, but even so, it's still going to need some pre-bolus, and I'd have a look at my cgm to see what sort of trend I'm on, and how much iob I've got if I'm in a stacking situation.

I'll have done that well in advance of actually eating it, so I'll have probably gone with a 5u bolus about 10 to 15 mins before a 30g pasty, reducing my usual 20 mins to 10 to 15 on account of the cheese slowing things down but if I was caught on the hop and didn't have time for a pre-shot, I'd maybe add 1 or 2 u. Yes, I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but it does because if I've not pre-bolused, there'll likely be a spike, and another few u there helps drag it down because insulin has a tougher time of it the higher bg is, so might as well get it in there at the start.

I'd then be thinking, hmm, that was a damned tasty cheese pasty, getting on with my business, but having the occasional glimpse at my cgm on my watch just to see how the calcs panned out, and if the trace started inflecting too much up or down, I'd consider whether a 1 or 2u or 5g tweak was needed to bring it back into line.

That sounds like a lot of work, but it's like any new job: takes time to learn, but after a while, it just sort of happens without you having to think about it. It's like being on autopilot, a slight diversion.

Go on, man, there is a cheese pasty in your future - there is no reason why there shouldn't be. Bit of experimentation with the pre-bolusing bit will pay dividends.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now, Jc, there's a good title for a new chapter in the DAFNE course - "eating cheese pasties without hassle"....

If I recall correctly, you're relatively recently dx'd so everything I'm about to say is a bit like, I do this, but don't necessarily try this at home: you've maybe still got honeymoon going on and are still getting used to insulin etc. etc., whereas I've been around the block a bit and can be a bit more confident with insulin.

The medical term for it is being more "aggressive", which is understood by docs as using the right amount of insulin for the situation, but is often misunderstood as meaning "reckless".

Anyway, that caveat aside, my take on it would be that I'd likely know beforehand from prior pasty experiences roughly how many carbs it is, or I'd do some googling/Carbs&Cals, to get a rough idea, I'd know that pastry can be absorbed quite quickly, but the absorption is slowed a lot by the cheese in it, but even so, it's still going to need some pre-bolus, and I'd have a look at my cgm to see what sort of trend I'm on, and how much iob I've got if I'm in a stacking situation.

I'll have done that well in advance of actually eating it, so I'll have probably gone with a 5u bolus about 10 to 15 mins before a 30g pasty, reducing my usual 20 mins to 10 to 15 on account of the cheese slowing things down but if I was caught on the hop and didn't have time for a pre-shot, I'd maybe add 1 or 2 u. Yes, I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but it does because if I've not pre-bolused, there'll likely be a spike, and another few u there helps drag it down because insulin has a tougher time of it the higher bg is, so might as well get it in there at the start.

I'd then be thinking, hmm, that was a damned tasty cheese pasty, getting on with my business, but having the occasional glimpse at my cgm on my watch just to see how the calcs panned out, and if the trace started inflecting too much up or down, I'd consider whether a 1 or 2u or 5g tweak was needed to bring it back into line.

That sounds like a lot of work, but it's like any new job: takes time to learn, but after a while, it just sort of happens without you having to think about it. It's like being on autopilot, a slight diversion.

Go on, man, there is a cheese pasty in your future - there is no reason why there shouldn't be. Bit of experimentation with the pre-bolusing bit will pay dividends.
Cheers. I'll give the pasty a go with a few units then another dose a bit later.

The reckless comment is really just how to meet t1 head on. This may sound daft but I've actually injected x amount of units then ate whatever I think adds up to the carbs I'm trying to cover. That can be reckless esp when my pancreas is also helping now and again, when it feels like it.

Pastry just seems to give me a big spike, but I will buy either a pie or pasty this week and give it a try.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't understand why a diet classed as high in fat is good
As you are not eating a low carb diet, eating too much fat could be disastrous.for you. Those of us who are eating low carb, especially very low carb, need to eat SOMETHING, so we have to increase our intake of protein or fat or both.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you are not eating a low carb diet, eating too much fat could be disastrous.for you. Those of us who are eating low carb, especially very low carb, need to eat SOMETHING, so we have to increase our intake of protein or fat or both.
I should have put not understanding the diet from a t1 point of view, my non d mate who tried it was trying to lose fat whilst keeping lean mass, I get eating protein, 2 chicken breasts are much better than one and there's less room for carbs :p but for a t1 point of view (or my take on it) is that it's the 'type' of carbs you eat, and again for me it's the complex carbs/of which are low sugar that work best.

All this talk of Greggs? Never been in one but you can't beat a Copelands bakery traditional Cornish patsy, the ones in the window that have cooled and don't eat the pastry ridge @ 2.5u Humalog :)

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Do I need to explain why eating fast carbs is a risk?

Or has the medical profession been basically lying to me for the last eight months. Actually that is totally possible come to think of it, they are an utter waste of space.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do I need to explain why eating fast carbs is a risk?

That's not particularly 'fast carbs' though, 30g stodgy carbs, fat & protein, with a bit of salt for flavour, the fat slows the digestion down slow enough to bolus for, over bolus and see a drop, take a couple of glucose tablets, see a rise, take a correction dose move on.
Honestly!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really don't get why people keep marking my posts as "funny."

I am not usually trying to be funny when I post here, in fact I think I've only deliberately tried to be funny once and hardly anyone even noticed.

Possibly this is because being sick for the last eight months makes it a bit difficult to be all upbeat and smiley about everything although I do notice quite a few fixed, rictus grins on the faces of people on this forum so perhaps I'm the odd one out again.

Yes that was an attempt to be funny but I suspect nobody will like it.