Best fast acting glucose whilst exercising (Cycling or running)

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My preferred is ‘Lift’ fast acting chews (10 in a tube, 3.7g each)
Dissolve in your mouth which is great and probably the fastest into the bloodstream.
However, tricky to open and consume whilst continuing to cycle.
Also, once you have a part consumed tube, the remainder will start to rattle around and break into pieces.
Is there anything better though?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve always used Dextro tablets. One tablet conveniently raises my my BGs by 1mmol/L, so it’s easy to predict how many I’ll need.

Reactions: Sallyw

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve always used Dextro tablets. One tablet conveniently raises my my BGs by 1mmol/L, so it’s easy to predict how many I’ll need.
I gave up Dextrose in preference of Lift some years ago because of the paper wrapping.
Once a pack was opened the tablets either went soggy or rock hard depending where they were "stored".

My preference is definitely Lift but I agree the rattle in the plastic tube is annoying when exercising. I think it is just a bug I bear - no worse than the water sloshing in my Camelbak.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I use jelly beans when on long runs or cycling as can store in a pouch and grab a few to suck on if I feel I need the extra glucose.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know what you mean about the Dextro ones in the paper. Bad memories of needing some when out and finding the ones that had been sitting in my bag too long were hard as rocks but having to crunch through them anyway!
With Lift, I buy the pots of 50 to refill the smaller tubes I carry, and top the tube up before going out to avoid the rattling of a half empty tube.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
Have you thought of full fat diluted vimto in a drinks bottle?

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use jelly beans when on long runs or cycling as can store in a pouch and grab a few to suck on if I feel I need the extra glucose.
I've never tried jelly beans.
What's the carb count?
Probably less efficient than lift glucose tabs, not sure?

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I've never tried jelly beans.
What's the carb count?
Probably less efficient than lift glucose tabs, not sure?
5 Jelly beans are around 14g of carb, personally I prefer them as glucotabs are very dry and difficult to swallow and beans area easier to consume, also different flavours which is a great distraction when running, stops me from over thinking !!

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use old fashioned and cheap sugar cubes, only problem is when you forget they are in your pocket in a small clear plastic bag when you go through security at Gatwick and they think you have drugs in your pocket!!! The security guard did roar with laughter when I told her what they were to be fair!!
They are great because they don't melt and also some pubs/restaurants give you free sugar cubes if you order a coffee!!
5g glucose per square and work fast especially if you place under the tongue or just suck them!!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Reactions: Zinadane

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go for sour snakes and sour cola bottles (jelly sweets), they aren't as carb rich as something like a Dextrose tablet but they are easy to eat (and keep breathing) and as they are slightly sour I can keep eating them at the end of a long ride. I decant them into a plastic bag which I take with me, which makes it easier to open and get the sweets from.

I also take Skittles for a quick hit, though much easier to eat while not riding as the packets are a pain and they become quite hard to chew & breath at the same time (they also go very very hard in the winter, so not ideal).

My ultimate fallback is Kendal mintcake, if I feel nauseous for whatever reason, but need to get some carbs in this works as the peppermint makes it bearable. It's also 99% carbs so good bang for your (volume/weight) buck.

Reactions: Zinadane

Sallyw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean about the Dextro ones in the paper. Bad memories of needing some when out and finding the ones that had been sitting in my bag too long were hard as rocks but having to crunch through them anyway!
With Lift, I buy the pots of 50 to refill the smaller tubes I carry, and top the tube up before going out to avoid the rattling of a half empty tube.
I just chew the super hard Dextrose. Not the end of the world!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guess I rely on Dextrose for general control. I get through a packet every week or so for exercise or hypo avoidance, so they never go soggy or dry.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guess I rely on Dextrose for general control. I get through a packet every week or so for exercise or hypo avoidance, so they never go soggy or dry.
If you are getting through so many Dextrose, you probably want to review your insulin dose. That is a lot of Dextrose to get through suggesting your insulin dose is too high. Have you done a basal test recently?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s mostly through exercise, but you’re right, I probably do need to review my basal. I’m DIY closed-looping and I’m not really sure how to do it.

Reactions: In Response

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s mostly through exercise, but you’re right, I probably do need to review my basal. I’m DIY closed-looping and I’m not really sure how to do it.
Sounds like the perfect title for a new thread! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: SamJB

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I also refill from the larger tubs. Pretty sure you can refill the smaller tube to 11 tabs (supplied with 10). Total is then 40g carb.