Best flaxseed ?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry, not wanting to derail this thread .. but what does flax seed taste like ?

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah my critics were running out of steam re: my diet. That's irony when it comes from people, many of whom have radically changed their diet in response to T2DM, just like me.

I would never claim that organic food is more nutritious than conventional food. Nor would I ever claim that it is completely free of pesticides. It has been found to have lower levels however and many pesticides cannot be used at all. Organic food can only contain approved additives, it doesn't contain a whole long list of chemicals.

The additives in food only have to be GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) i.e. they won't kill you immediately. No-one knows what these things do over a life time, or in combination because they simply aren't studied.

A fundamental asset of organic food, is that it does not contain genetically modified material.

ASDA has allowed farmers to feed GM feed since 2010, Morrisons since 2012, Tesco since April 2013 and since then, The Co-operative, Sainsbury's, Marks and Spencer, Lidl, Aldi and Waitrose have caved.

Aldi, Lidl, Co-op, Marks & Spencer and Morrisons allow GM feed across all non-organic ranges. Others may allow GM feeding for some ranges or foods and not others. There's very little information for Budgens, Iceland and Netto.

It's not just GM feed for beef cattle or pigs, it's GM feed for farmed fish, dairy cows and egg-laying chickens.

The fact that these non-organic animals and fish have been fed with GM feed doesn't have to be labelled. GM has to be tracked from field to feed, but not once an animal or fish eats it.

I don't want to consume chemicals in my chops, added water in my chicken or second-hand GM. I only have the one life, I have diabetes already and I just don't want to take the risk.

Newcastle University tracked one GM soya bean through a subject's body and found that it mutated bacteria in the stomach. Our immune system mostly is in our digestive system.

My liver function test normalised within 2 weeks of going organic. My maculopathy almost totally healed up within 6 months. My gum disease (another less talked about symptom of diabetes) disappeared eventually. My husband looks way healthier now, a new colleague thought him ten years younger than is, yesterday.

I eat organic for my health. So anyone implying that it's a snobbery thing is completely wrong. The majority of people who eat organic do so because they are concerned about their health and that of their family. The majority of baby foods now, for example, are organic e.g. Ella's Kitchen, Organix, Hipp, even a few Heinz, ASDA and Boots toddler products.

People in other countries don't have the chip on their shoulders about organic. Germany eats the most organic food in Europe and has over 300 organic supermarkets - and you can find it in Aldi and Lidl. France has a chain of organic supermarkets. The USA eats the most organic food in the world and you can find it in Target and Walmart.

If people choose to eat second-hand GM and chemicals it's up to them. If I don't, that's my choice too. We don't go to the pub, rarely to the cinema, we don't eat out or have takeaways, haven't had a holiday in years, don't have Sky, don't have loads of bling. We eat good food.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah my critics were running out of steam re: my diet. That's irony when it comes from people, many of whom have radically changed their diet in response to T2DM, just like me.

I would never claim that organic food is more nutritious than conventional food. Nor would I ever claim that it is completely free of pesticides. It has been found to have lower levels however and many pesticides cannot be used at all. Organic food can only contain approved additives, it doesn't contain a whole long list of chemicals.

The additives in food only have to be GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) i.e. they won't kill you immediately. No-one knows what these things do over a life time, or in combination because they simply aren't studied.

A fundamental asset of organic food, is that it does not contain genetically modified material.

ASDA has allowed farmers to feed GM feed since 2010, Morrisons since 2012, Tesco since April 2013 and since then, The Co-operative, Sainsbury's, Marks and Spencer, Lidl, Aldi and Waitrose have caved.

Aldi, Lidl, Co-op, Marks & Spencer and Morrisons allow GM feed across all non-organic ranges. Others may allow GM feeding for some ranges or foods and not others. There's very little information for Budgens, Iceland and Netto.

It's not just GM feed for beef cattle or pigs, it's GM feed for farmed fish, dairy cows and egg-laying chickens.

The fact that these non-organic animals and fish have been fed with GM feed doesn't have to be labelled. GM has to be tracked from field to feed, but not once an animal or fish eats it.

I don't want to consume chemicals in my chops, added water in my chicken or second-hand GM. I only have the one life, I have diabetes already and I just don't want to take the risk.

Newcastle University tracked one GM soya bean through a subject's body and found that it mutated bacteria in the stomach. Our immune system mostly is in our digestive system.

My liver function test normalised within 2 weeks of going organic. My maculopathy almost totally healed up within 6 months. My gum disease (another less talked about symptom of diabetes) disappeared eventually. My husband looks way healthier now, a new colleague thought him ten years younger than is, yesterday.

I eat organic for my health. So anyone implying that it's a snobbery thing is completely wrong. The majority of people who eat organic do so because they are concerned about their health and that of their family. The majority of baby foods now, for example, are organic e.g. Ella's Kitchen, Organix, Hipp, even a few Heinz, ASDA and Boots toddler products.

People in other countries don't have the chip on their shoulders about organic. Germany eats the most organic food in Europe and has over 300 organic supermarkets - and you can find it in Aldi and Lidl. France has a chain of organic supermarkets. The USA eats the most organic food in the world and you can find it in Target and Walmart.

If people choose to eat second-hand GM and chemicals it's up to them. If I don't, that's my choice too. We don't go to the pub, rarely to the cinema, we don't eat out or have takeaways, haven't had a holiday in years, don't have Sky, don't have loads of bling. We eat good food.

OK, I will bite.

I honestly don't think you have been getting flak because you eat organic.
It is a choice that several people make around here, just as others make choices based on budget, local shops and family priorities. The different situations of people on the forum are so varied that there is room for everyone.

But I do think you have been getting flak because of the way you go about it. Mentioning the word organic 10x a paragraph strikes me as a bit OTT.

Obviously, I cannot speak for anyone else, and I wouldn't want to. But when there are so many people around who are not in the fortunate shopping position that you find yourself, I can understand why there has been some tension.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
But I do think you have been getting flak because of the way you go about it. Mentioning the word organic 10x a paragraph strikes me as a bit OTT.

Nothing wrong with whole food of course, or organic for that matter, but it does come across sometimes as self-righteous and condescending. But carry on with the basic information, some of that is useful.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other issue that bothers me is, as with anything, things can be taken to extremes. I definitely prefer to eat organic when I can, but on the other hand, I don't want to become an orthorexic stress head who can never eat outside my own home again.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm here because of a bit of banter.. :cool:

.... & I am waiting in my lane behind another ruddy delivery van. :banghead:
But on the plus side, I can pick up my wifi.. :D

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby and I do the shopping together, working as a well oiled team. It is a chore, but it takes very little time to do a week's shop, and we would never dream of ordering it on-line. I prefer to see what I'm buying, especially meat, fruit and veggies. After all, you can't really send it back if it isn't looking good. I do buy clothing and whatnot on line, they are things that can be returned if necessary. I also like to support our local shops, and local producers wherever possible.

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.We don't go to the pub, rarely to the cinema, we don't eat out or have takeaways, haven't had a holiday in years, don't have Sky, don't have loads of bling. We eat good food.

Purely in the spirit of finding "common (GM free.) ground." ;)

The pub = only when I'm gigging.i don't drink due to the drive. (Beer is probably GM anyway.?)
Cinema = pop corn was always out for me along with the fact most movies these days don't grab us.. We tend to recreate Alan Ayckbourn plays using sock puppets..
Rarely eat out. Has to be somewhere special with a great atmosphere! No TAs..
Sky= GM news in my book. None of that stuff. We go online. Or open the sock drawer.. :D

Bling??! Not for us either.

Regarding "da bling"?? Celeriac. I always had you down as being a bit "ghetto gangster in the hood".. o_O
Peace out.

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, I will bite.

I honestly don't think you have been getting flak because you eat organic.
It is a choice that several people make around here, just as others make choices based on budget, local shops and family priorities. The different situations of people on the forum are so varied that there is room for everyone.

Obviously, I cannot speak for anyone else, and I wouldn't want to. But when there are so many people around who are not in the fortunate shopping position that you find yourself, I can understand why there has been some tension.

I have mentioned quite a few times, that when first living with now husband, we were really poor.

We lived on a mostly vegetarian diet with soya mince, lentils and beans, because we couldn't afford to buy any decent meat just disgusting tasting value burgers. We had an allotment, we went foraging for wild food, my parents bought us a freezer so we could buy up yellow-stickered stuff.

Being poor, we filled in round the edges with far more pasta, bread, rice and potatoes than I was used to eating. Eight years later, even having lost some weight and having quit the soya mince and reduced the rice and pasta, I was diagnosed T2DM.

Before going organic we shopped at Lidl and ASDA mostly. I still do buy things at both. But they just don't have enough organic food.

Earlier this year, Ella Woodward was given the challenge of feeding two people with meals and snacks for seven days for £59, the average UK weekly food budget. She used recipes from her cookbook and blog (she's not exactly cost conscious with a Sainsbury as a mother) and came in under budget.
http://deliciouslyella.com-eating-organic-food-on-a-budget/

Some organic prices are higher but not all.

Sainsbury's organic unsalted butter is 1.60. Anchor, Country Life and Lurpak are all 1.80 - I got Rachel's organic unsalted on offer at 1.33 from Ocado and shoved them in the freezer.

Cirio chopped tomatoes are £1, I bought Tarantella organic on offer at ASDA for 65p.

Sainsbury's closed cup white mushrooms 90p, Morrisons organic closed cup white mushrooms 84p.

PG Tips 80 teabags, Tetleys Everyday 80 teabags 2.60, Sainsbury's organic Everyday 80 teabags 1.75

Kellogg's cornflakes 250g 1.40, Sainsbury's organic corn flakes 375g 1.25

If I'm not happy with anything from the companies which deliver to me, I call them up, explain and offer to email a photo. Never had any problems getting a refund. I do buy as much fruit and veg as I can on my weekly trudge with my shopaholic mother if they are same price or cheaper just as a grab it if it's there stock thing.

This is a forum for people with diabetes, it doesn't mention anywhere that you can only post if you shop at Lidl - which I do, for organic Farmhouse Cheddar, Parma ham, New Zealand lamb (GM free) and various household items.

My husband left school at 16, clawed his way out of a failed marriage, severe injury and debts and worked overtime to put himself through courses part-time evenings and weekends so that he could get into management and off tools on his knees. He's got a postgraduate diploma now and lots of letters after his name. I'm very proud of him because he did it in ten years of real grind, so anything we have is well earned.

Nah my clubbing days are well over tho my best friend is a former radio DJ who used to go to the Brits etc.

Last time I had an Indian = nightly rear end incidents for a week.
Last time we had Nepalese = husband had to stop cab to throw up
Last time we went to a pub for dinner = me in hospital on drip and insulin drip with notifiable food poisoning for 8 days

Just not worth it !

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know your "soulmate" when you have seen your future wife on all fours in a South Indian hotel room projectile vomiting into a can you are holding, whilst stifling the urge yourself to form a "duet".!

Sometimes. It is worth it! :)

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mentioned quite a few times, that when first living with now husband, we were really poor.

We lived on a mostly vegetarian diet with soya mince, lentils and beans, because we couldn't afford to buy any decent meat just disgusting tasting value burgers. We had an allotment, we went foraging for wild food, my parents bought us a freezer so we could buy up yellow-stickered stuff.

Being poor, we filled in round the edges with far more pasta, bread, rice and potatoes than I was used to eating. Eight years later, even having lost some weight and having quit the soya mince and reduced the rice and pasta, I was diagnosed T2DM.

Before going organic we shopped at Lidl and ASDA mostly. I still do buy things at both. But they just don't have enough organic food.

Earlier this year, Ella Woodward was given the challenge of feeding two people with meals and snacks for seven days for £59, the average UK weekly food budget. She used recipes from her cookbook and blog (she's not exactly cost conscious with a Sainsbury as a mother) and came in under budget.
http://deliciouslyella.com-eating-organic-food-on-a-budget/

Some organic prices are higher but not all.

Sainsbury's organic unsalted butter is 1.60. Anchor, Country Life and Lurpak are all 1.80 - I got Rachel's organic unsalted on offer at 1.33 from Ocado and shoved them in the freezer.

Cirio chopped tomatoes are £1, I bought Tarantella organic on offer at ASDA for 65p.

Sainsbury's closed cup white mushrooms 90p, Morrisons organic closed cup white mushrooms 84p.

PG Tips 80 teabags, Tetleys Everyday 80 teabags 2.60, Sainsbury's organic Everyday 80 teabags 1.75

Kellogg's cornflakes 250g 1.40, Sainsbury's organic corn flakes 375g 1.25

If I'm not happy with anything from the companies which deliver to me, I call them up, explain and offer to email a photo. Never had any problems getting a refund. I do buy as much fruit and veg as I can on my weekly trudge with my shopaholic mother if they are same price or cheaper just as a grab it if it's there stock thing.

This is a forum for people with diabetes, it doesn't mention anywhere that you can only post if you shop at Lidl - which I do, for organic Farmhouse Cheddar, Parma ham, New Zealand lamb (GM free) and various household items.

My husband left school at 16, clawed his way out of a failed marriage, severe injury and debts and worked overtime to put himself through courses part-time evenings and weekends so that he could get into management and off tools on his knees. He's got a postgraduate diploma now and lots of letters after his name. I'm very proud of him because he did it in ten years of real grind, so anything we have is well earned.

But just think how much time, effort and forum space you could save if you wrote 'I eat organic foods whenever possible' in your signature, instead of shoehorning it several times into each post.

You could use all that extra time sourcing more delicious organic produce!

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You know your "soulmate" when you have seen your future wife on all fours in a South Indian hotel room projectile vomiting into a can you are holding, whilst stifling the urge yourself to form a "duet".!

Sometimes. It is worth it! :)

Since e.coli hospital stay my stomach does seem more fickle and HCP told me it's probably true. I would love to go to India, my parents did and loved it. Personally I would not want to be throwing up a lot and I'm sure that I would.