Best French dishes

Gaiane

Hi guys,

I travelled in France 2 months ago, I gave a try to famous French dishes but all were perfect. The well-known “Coq au vin” or “Beef bourguignon” for example, they are delicious. How about you? What is your favorite French dish?

Share your experiences

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Moules Mariniers, just love seafood :D:D

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't been to France much but cook both Coq au vin and Bouf bourguignon myself, along with home-made varieties with lamb or mutton or whatever I have at hand. Good, robust peasant cooking for peasants like us.

Regarding the mussels, I managed to food-poison hubby a few years back. He refuses to have them in the house since. But I love moules mariniers and may try to reintroduce it sometime soon, while I still am someone to be pitied and must have my own way, lol!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My family lived in France a few years back. Not strictly 'posh', but loved their frites with Dijon mustard, and pancakes from the vans. All a no no now. Sob.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
émincé de veau aux morilles (containing brandy!)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
bludy nice! thinly sliced veal cooked in morel mushrooms, cream and brandy. Usually served with rösti potatoes in Switzerland where I live.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have to find a recipe for this, love mushrooms, cream and brandy but will probably pass on the rösti. Thanks Daisy1!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Salltwater lamb in Norandy, with a few glasses of calvados.
Lobster thermidor with a dry Bordeaux
A decent coarse cut pork sausage off the bbq, with a Pelforth brune or three.
Snails in a garlic butter with a decent claret.
Frogs legs, floured and fried, with a sauvignon blanc, or again with a white bordeaux.

Reactions: 4 people

Manoahm

Sorry, my French knowledge is very limited. Something with veal? What does it taste like?

Emincé de veau aux morilles and Beef Bourguignon come from the east region of France called “Bourgogne” if I was not wrong. Traditional French dishes are great and of course with wine, my favorite remains sausage and duck sauerkraut.

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cassoulet for me, made with confit duck and high quality toulouse sausage with plenty of garlic.

Arghh, too fatty for me but as a raw blubber eater, I can see that you would be quite at home Thommo.

For me, the french patisserie is what it is all about but, sadly off limits now. Having more knowledge of German cuisine though I do very much like the foods served up in Alsace Lorraine and Tarte flambée alsacienne is something which is very very tasty and the pastry base so thin, it doesn't spike me at all.

tarte-flambee-alsacienne-flammekueche.jpg

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Arghh, too fatty for me but as a raw blubber eater, I can see that you would be quite at home Thommo.

For me, the french patisserie is what it is all about but, sadly off limits now. Having more knowledge of German cuisine though I do very much like the foods served up in Alsace Lorraine and Tarte flambée alsacienne is something which is very very tasty and the pastry base so thin, it doesn't spike me at all.

Cassoulet is not as fatty as you might imagine actually, most of the fat can be skimmed off.

Which reminds me of a lovely french recipe. i cant remember what its proper name is, but its called mock venison in English. Leg of lamb with ALL visible fat and skin removed (looks very scruffy to begin with), marinated for 24 hours in a mix of olive oil, crushed garlic, finely chopped shallot, crushed rosemary, bay leaves, thyme and a good red wine - something robust is best, like a good shiraz, then roasted preferably in a wood fired oven or stove. First had this down in the Carmargue about 20 years ago and been cooking this myself ever since. Lovely and even better with Mutton. Ideal for service to people who dislike the thought of

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Flammkuche? Zwiebelkuche? Looks very nice indeed!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fondue bourguignonne: diced fillet steak cooked in hot oil at the table, so not recommended for small children or wobbly dining-tables! I used to like this with crisps, 2 or 3 different sauces and some salad - really easy, but now I'm going to find low carb alternatives! Dijon mustard, anyway, and not forgetting the burgundy ...

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Flammkuche? Zwiebelkuche? Looks very nice indeed!

Yes, it is sold as Elsässer Flammenkuchen in Germany at the various festivals throughout the year. Zwiebelkuchen was as far as I remember very popular in Germany as a festive autumn snack, with crispy cheesy bread and with New Wine, the sort that tastes like grape juice but which is alcoholic. In Strassbourg, it is still called Zwiebelkueche rather than Tarte aux Oignons. Once the new wine is ready, lots of bars and cafes start serving it early evening, to catch people on their way home. Zwiebelkuchen is deeper than the Flammenkuchen:

77d1cee2-c0ed-4e88-b49d-56319654c2df.jpg