carrickman
Newbie
- Messages
- 3
- Type of diabetes
- Type 2
I absolutely love Meridian organic peanut butter. It has nothing whatever added to it. It gives 11.6g carb per 100g, but 100g of peanut butter goes a long way. It comes in crunchy, which I prefer, or smooth which is easier to put on thinly if you are watching calories. Suma also do a peanut butter without anything added, but personally I prefer Meridian, it seems to taste richer. Very good as a dip for raw vegetables.Hi
I am a type 2 but I have gone down from 22 stone to 13.5 at my last blood test the nurse said that every thing was now perfect the problem is that I have also been diagnosed with MS. I do not eat very much bread but can anyone recommend a spread that is non diary and also non sugar
Thanks
Carson
Hi and welcome,
Are you on any diabetes medication?
Can you tell us why you are avoiding dairy?
Do you have a blood glucose meter and do you test before and after meals?
I'm tagging @daisy1 who has an excellent post for newcomers. Have a good read, and ask questions.
Hi and welcome,
Are you on any diabetes medication?
Can you tell us why you are avoiding dairy?
Do you have a blood glucose meter and do you test before and after meals?
I'm tagging @daisy1 who has an excellent post for newcomers. Have a good read, and ask questions.
I agree. There is NO marge or butter in my fridge, but I too like hummus as a spread. I improve mine regularly with a little lemon juice and a lot of crushed garlic. Btw you are not supposed to freeze hummus, but I have been doing so for years. This means I can stock up when it's on offer and also not risk running out.To be honest, I don't use any buttery type spread on my bread. If it is a nice flavoursome loaf (not stodgy sliced white bread), I find it has enough flavour of its own.
When I find my bread a bit dry, I use something like hummus, to which I may add some flavouring such as a couple of drops of peri peri sauce, or baba ganoosh. I guess meat pates would also work (but I'm veggie so can't offer suggestions from personal experience)
In the past, it has been suggested I am pedantic. So I apologies if this is another of those times.The MS diet that I have says take no dairy which for me was a problem because it means no milk,eggs or butter.
Marmite. Peanut butter apparently contains no sugar. Also other nut butters from the health food shop.Hi
I am a type 2 but I have gone down from 22 stone to 13.5 at my last blood test the nurse said that every thing was now perfect the problem is that I have also been diagnosed with MS. I do not eat very much bread but can anyone recommend a spread that is non diary and also non sugar
Thanks
Carson
You may (or may not of course) find this interestingHi
I take 1 metformin tablet twice a day
I check my blood every other day first thing in the morning it now ranges from 5,2 to 5.8
The MS diet that I have says take no dairy which for me was a problem because it means no milk,eggs or butter.
I use Almond milk which is very good and tastes fine in porridge
Thanks
Carson
Bovril or vegemite are also similar. Pure honey or Maple syrup (must be pure too) may be acceptable if used sparingly as a flavour, but beware of cheap supermarket fare with added or hidden sugars. Beware so called Low Fat spreads since thes often contain sugar alcohols which are not included in the carbs / sigars label, but may appear as things ending in -ose or -ol in the ingedients eg maltose or malitol.Marmite, you either love it or hate it
Bovril or vegemite are also similar
I find Bovril is very good for welding the cap to the jar, meaning I only benfit from half of the contents. I have never tried Vegemite, but I believe you are not alone in your observation.Taste wise they are miles apart @Oldvatr , we once bought some Vegemite and ended up throwing it out, awful stuff.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?