Best settings for Xdrip and LibreLink together?

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm using Libre2 sensors, and prefer Xdrip+ for most monitoring purposes and alarms.
However, I'd also like to keep all the data updated on LibreLink, for the stats, and for sharing with my DSN.

However, I'm struggling to find the right combination of settings and permissions and sequence of connections to allow this (in Android 13).
What I want is the Bluetooth connection and alarms in Xdrip only, and for LL to only update via NFC scan (so I can do this every 8 hours to get the full log).

I can get either one working, but so far not got it working consistently to have both running on the same phone. Whenever I allow enough permissions to scan with LL, it seems to break the Bluetooth connection with Xdrip.
Alternatively, I do have a spare android phone, and could use this just for LL, though not sure if I'll still run into the same problems.

Also, I've been trying this with a sensor that's been running a while after starting with LL. Some of the Xdrip instructions suggested it might be easier to make the xdrip connection immediately after initialising the sensor with LL.

Do any of you have these working together?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought xdrip alone would upload to LibreView. I’m not certain but Juggluco does, so I’d have thought xdrip would too.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One option, though probably not the only one, is to use Juggluco to connect to the sensor, then ignore that app and use XDrip+ for everything else (Jugluco will also upload data to librelink automatically). To do this you setup Jugluco to emulate the patched Librelink app and set XDrip+ to use that as its data source.

Reactions: Westley

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought xdrip alone would upload to LibreView. I’m not certain but Juggluco does, so I’d have thought xdrip would too.
No, XDrip+ won't, it does upload to Tidepool though which my consultant is happy to use, and is also used by the MyWay Diabetes portal if you use that in your local area (basically Scotland and Somerset afaiu)

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, XDrip+ won't, it does upload to Tidepool though which my consultant is happy to use, and is also used by the MyWay Diabetes portal if you use that in your local area (basically Scotland and Somerset afaiu)
Well that’s me put right;). I could have sworn I read that but I haven’t used xdrip for about 4(??) years, and then only briefly.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I guess I could also just give Juggluco on its own a go if it can upload to Libreview.

I got somewhat used to Xdrip, but all I really need is:

-a way to share the data with my team in a way they're happy with
-more customisable alarms (particularly snooze instead of dismiss)
-calibration
-a widget to see the reading without opening an app
-and most importantly, a way to see the difference between actual readings and extrapolated ones.

I find the extrapolation in LibreLink really annoying and believe using it makes my control worse.
Clearly they've tried to counteract the delay caused by reading interstitial fluid by taking the actual measurement (corresponding to the real blood value about 15 minutes ago) and extrapolating the curve forward in time to estimate the blood value now.

The problem is, when I've realised I'm heading rapidly low or high, I'm usually doing stuff in that 15 minutes to avert it which LL doesn't know about, and I could use this to make a more informed extrapolation myself. Instead I have to see what LL says, try and undo its extrapolation to work back to the real value, then work forward again. Reacting to the LL readings (which in the moment often show lows and highs that you can see looking back never actually went to those extremes) encourages over correction both up and down.
Showing some extrapolation on the graph is fine, I just need to be able to distinguish which part it is and which are the real readings.

Not to mention that idiotic thing LL does where when BG changes too quickly or reverses direction suddenly, it panics and just says 'glucose reading is unavailable, try again in 10 mins'. I get that during times of rapid change it can't guarantee accuracy, and some sort of warning of this would be fine, but the answer is not to just stop providing me with any data at all when I most need to know it. With Xdrip you can continue getting readings during these moments which can help you see when you've turned an imminent high or low around instead of overtreating it.

Sorry for the rant. I just get frustrated that Abbott have developed such a useful bit of hardware then let it down with bad software decisions.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm using Diabox and LibreLink both running happily together. Diabox does the alarms, sends readings to my watch, and displays readings on my phones home screen. LL is for my diabetes team. Also I find the daily trends and average glucose stats useful.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and Westley

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm using Diabox and LibreLink both running happily together. Diabox does the alarms, sends readings to my watch, and displays readings on my phones home screen. LL is for my diabetes team. Also I find the daily trends and average glucose stats useful.
Do you keep both connected via Bluetooth without problems?

Reactions: Antje77

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes they both BT happily and simultaneously to the Libre 2 sensor. Both apps show my terrible blood glucose control today!
2136855263.jpg

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I could also just give Juggluco on its own a go if it can upload to Libreview.

I got somewhat used to Xdrip, but all I really need is:
You can use them both together, you don't need to pay any attention to Juggluco aside from pairing the sensor (and entering your libreview credentials so it can upload to the site), then it provides the data to XDrip+ where you can see it graphed, the prediction lines, etc. Only Juggluco is actually connected to the sensor, it then provides the data to XDrip+ via an Intent (I think), so there are no problems with multiple Bluetooth connections, etc.

Paule Foster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Westley, I’m running Xdrip through Shuggah so it appears on my Apple Watch. I close the blue tooth on Libre2 so have to scan if Ii want to see the readings on that & do every few hours. The big advantage is you can calibrate Shuggah & the algorithm seems more accurate. I find I have delete the Shuggah app & reinstall with virtually every new sensor or it doesn’t pair properly. Reinstalling does the trick each time.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I might be missing the obvious here, but why do you need BT to LibreLink? Didn’t you say you’d be happy the scan NFC every <8hrs to populate LL & LV?

That would leave xdrip all on it’s own.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I might be missing the obvious here, but why do you need BT to LibreLink? Didn’t you say you’d be happy the scan NFC every <8hrs to populate LL & LV?

That would leave xdrip all on it’s own.
Yes, that's what I was originally trying to do and asking about. LL with NFC only, and Xdrip with the live BT feed.

When I tried before I couldn't get this working - it seemed even with LL nearby devices permission off, scanning with it was breaking the connection for Xdrip, but I'm trying again now.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok, I'm not sure exactly what setting I messed up the other day, but it now seems to be working.
Xdrip with OOP2 connected via Bluetooth and LibreLink still working for scans.

Reactions: barrym

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the same set up I got. Both taking a BT feed from the sensor. Even got LibreLinkUp on my iPad following it too.
I tend not to need to scan at all unless I occasionally loose the signal…

I did try using the OOP2 along with xDrip but never got it to work. But oddly I could get xDrip to take a feed from Diabox.

I just stuck with Diabox & LL in the end. Too many apps running.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the same set up I got. Both taking a BT feed from the sensor. Even got LibreLinkUp on my iPad following it too.
I tend not to need to scan at all unless I occasionally loose the signal…

I did try using the OOP2 along with xDrip but never got it to work. But oddly I could get xDrip to take a feed from Diabox.

I just stuck with Diabox & LL in the end. Too many apps running.
Which instructions did you follow, you now need the latest version of OOPs to talk to current libre2 sensors.

Likewise. I can't get xdrip /oop2 to work reliably.
Is it the reliability or not working at all? For the former you need to ensure both XDrip+ and OOP2 are not having battery limits enforced, for the latter see my comment above. Or do you think it might be due to something else?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you keep both connected via Bluetooth without problems?
I scan through LibreLink with NFC at least every 8 hours, which keeps my graphs in LibeView and LibreLink complete but I only connect to DiaBox through bluetooth, not LibreLink.
-a way to share the data with my team in a way they're happy with
-more customisable alarms (particularly snooze instead of dismiss)
-calibration
-a widget to see the reading without opening an app
-and most importantly, a way to see the difference between actual readings and extrapolated ones.
This is exactly what I do with DiaBox. For me the calibration and customizable alarms are the most important.
DiaBox allows two alarms for different levels of high and low, so I have one for each still in range but want to be alerted that I may want to take a moment to think about insulin and food on board, and one for when I really am too high or too low. Snooze function as well.

I don't share with my team but this set-up still alows me to share through LibreView should I choose so.

SimonPC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to note that I tried this after reading your post and it is working perfectly. Started the sensor on LibreLink and then do a single NFC scan with Diabox and they seem to work fine independently. Using Diabox to send to Garmin watch via xDrip+/Spike/Nightscout Widget which happily reads data from Diabox (despite the name) if Daibox set to share. Very useful. Thanks for the post.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which instructions did you follow, you now need the latest version of OOPs to talk to current libre2 sensors.
It was the latest build on both xDrip & OOP2apk. I was following the xDrip pictorial online instructions from the developer, trying to set it up.
I loved xDrip, it worked well with the Miaomiao & Libre 1. When I was prescribed L2, it all went to pot for me. On 3 versions of galaxy note, 7, 9 & 10+

I scan through LibreLink with NFC at least every 8 hours, which keeps my graphs in LibeView and LibreLink complete but I only connect to DiaBox through bluetooth, not LibreLink.
I got both running bluetooth so there’s no need to scan. Usual practice when setting up a new sensor. Librelink first then Diabox.
Libreview seems to update online every 20minutes? (An hour gap on new sensor day.)
I turned all librelink alarms off except lost signal. Diabox does the rest for me.

I do also have LibreLinkUp as a follower on my iPad which will alert me with silent banners too..

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77