Best snacks for diabetics

desidiabulum

OK I know the best solution is not to snack at all, but there are moments when you need something to keep you going.
My best snack in terms of results (i.e. actually seems to send my bgs DOWN) is a celery stick smeared with lots of peanut butter (and you can go through endless varieties of peanut butter these days). Do other people have suggestions for that late-afternoon down time?

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning @desidiabulum. How about a cube of Cheddar cheese (or other hard cheese) with your celery?

There's a mesmerising variety of peanut butter brands, as you say. I'd avoid those with palm oil added and those containing sugar, obviously.

• Agree
Reactions: Pura Vida

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK I know the best solution is not to snack at all, but there are moments when you need something to keep you going.
My best snack in terms of results (i.e. actually seems to send my bgs DOWN) is a celery stick smeared with lots of peanut butter (and you can go through endless varieties of peanut butter these days). Do other people have suggestions for that late-afternoon down time?
I tend to put a little hummus on mine, though that isn't always very low carb, depending on the brand. So do check the nutritional info. And there's not just peanut butters eh, all sorts of nuts are available as spreads these days. Then there's cheeses, olives, extra dark chocolate, broth... Does that sort of thing sound okay?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies if I sound like a stuck record but as this thread is on the Diabetes Discussion subform ...

the best snack for someone with diabetes depends upon the type of diabetes you have.
The best snack for someone with Type 1 diabetes is the same as the best snack for someone without diabetes.

desidiabulum

Many thanks for the suggestions! Alas I don't care for hard cheese and nuts. Extra dark chocolate I save for after dinner. Nearly 14 years since first diagnosis -- just searching for new ideas...
JoKaslbeek - I am deeply envious of your hba1c!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it you mean T2 diabetics?

I rarely "snack" because I eat properly when I need to. But if needed, pork scratchings, cheese, almonds, hazelnuts, olives, low-carb (2.9g/roll) bread toasted, salami....

desidiabulum

I take it you mean T2 diabetics?

I rarely "snack" because I eat properly when I need to. But if needed, pork scratchings, cheese, almonds, hazelnuts, olives, low-carb (2.9g/roll) bread toasted, salami....
I mean diabetics who are not on insulin, obviously (though those who are on insulin presumably like things where injection need is minimal). I thought we had all agreed by now that diabetes is not just divided into T1 and T2?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
though those who are on insulin presumably like things where injection need is minimal
No.
Those of us on insulin, like the type of things where insulin dose calculation and timing is easiest. This is not necessarily low carb ... it may just be what we are familiar with and have mastered our insulin dosing for which may not be the lowest insulin dose.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean diabetics who are not on insulin, obviously (though those who are on insulin presumably like things where injection need is minimal). I thought we had all agreed by now that diabetes is not just divided into T1 and T2?
That was why I asked.

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to go for a big tablespoon of very creamy full fat (10%) greek yoghurt, sipped very slowly off the spoon.
Or a tablespoon or 2 of double cream, taken neat.
In either case, walk away from the fridge immediately after, else too tempting to have more.
I found the fats more satisfying than anything else.

Reactions: aylalake