Best times to take metformin

markryb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this may be different for different people but is there generally a better Time to take metformin throughout the day. I.e would it be better to take the first dose as soon as you wake up or the last dose closer to bedtime etc. will it even make a difference to glucose levels. I’m currently on 3 tabs a day. Told 1 in the morning and 2 at tea time.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your GP advised this is how you take them then I would continue to do that, I take 2 - one with breakfast and one with dinner

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
No it really doesn't matter when you take it. The advice to split it mornings and evening is to avoid any gastric side effects you might have by taking the whole dose together. Exactly the same reason it's advised to take it with food
Metformin doesn't work by directly reducing any glucose in your blood from your food. It helps a little with insulin resistance and limits how much of your stored glucose the liver releases.
Metformin sort of builds up in your system and can take a few days before it starts to make any difference

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This from the NHS website

When you first start taking metformin standard tablets, you'll be advised to increase the dose slowly. This reduces the chances of getting side effects.

For example:

• one 500mg dose with or after breakfast for at least 1 week, then
  • one 500mg dose with or after breakfast and your evening meal for at least 1 week, then
  • one 500mg dose with or after breakfast, lunch and your evening meal
If you find that the side effects of standard metformin are affecting you too much, your doctor may suggest switching to slow-release tablets.

Reactions: KELI

markryb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No it really doesn't matter when you take it. The advice to split it mornings and evening is to avoid any gastric side effects you might have by taking the whole dose together. Exactly the same reason it's advised to take it with food
Metformin doesn't work by directly reducing any glucose in your blood from your food. It helps a little with insulin resistance and limits how much of your stored glucose the liver releases.
Metformin sort of builds up in your system and can take a few days before it starts to make any difference

Thank you. I only ask as I was taking it first thing in the morning. I start work at 6am. But was experiencing the morning phenomenon with my glucose levels being around 7. So I decided to try fasting from evening meal till 12 dinner time the next day so therefore not taking my first dose until I had that first meal. I was just wondering if it has any effect on effectiveness etc.

Reactions: catinahat

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thank you. I only ask as I was taking it first thing in the morning. I start work at 6am. But was experiencing the morning phenomenon with my glucose levels being around 7. So I decided to try fasting from evening meal till 12 dinner time the next day so therefore not taking my first dose until I had that first meal. I was just wondering if it has any effect on effectiveness etc.
No, it won't make any difference to it's effectiveness. Fasting and reducing the amount of carbohydrates you eat (both in a meal and in a day) can have a larger effect than Metformin.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's immaterial when you take it, if you suffer no side effects then forget taking with food. It is an accumulative drug, it's basically working in the background, not having any directly noticeable effect on anything but quietly doing it's job. So each dose is just topping up the level that has dropped.

markryb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's immaterial when you take it, if you suffer no side effects then forget taking with food. It is an accumulative drug, it's basically working in the background, not having any directly noticeable effect on anything but quietly doing it's job. So each dose is just topping up the level that has dropped.

I have had no side effects so far. But also have not tried taking it without food yet. Although if I could it would help me to remember to actually take it better. My brain for what ever reason refuses to remember that I need to take these tablets everyday haha

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take mine on getting up, first task is COFFEE, and last thing at night before going up to bed. I'm on slow release as normal was a bit too aggressive. But then i have several more things at the same time.

markryb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take mine on getting up, first task is COFFEE, and last thing at night before going up to bed. I'm on slow release as normal was a bit too aggressive. But then i have several more things at the same time.

I’m going to try this as I think it’s going to work better for me to take it right before leaving for work and before bed. I just can’t seem to remember to take it with food. Literally weighting this has reminded me that I haven’t taken it and I ate about 20 mins ago on my break.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I’m going to try this as I think it’s going to work better for me to take it right before leaving for work and before bed. I just can’t seem to remember to take it with food. Literally weighting this has reminded me that I haven’t taken it and I ate about 20 mins ago on my break.
Have you got some loo's within sprinting distance at work, just in case.

Rooty

I have two meals a day (brunch and dinner) and always take my Metformin with them. It's a habit formed over many years. I think I had bowel problems early on, but I guess my body is used to it now, so Metformin is invisible in my daily life.