Betamethasone -- watch out!

desidiabulum

Hi all. I have had a crazy week with my BGs all over the place and have finally grasped why -- I was put on betamethasone for mouth ulcers. It hasn't helped the ulcers but it seems to have been responsible for sending my sugars sky-rocketing. My GP usually checks for this sort of thing, but has slipped up this time. Just a reminder to always check on google for side-effects of ANY medication we are given (I should have known that steroids are always bad for BGs anyway). It's an odd relief because I had been about to conclude that there was no food left that I could still eat without sending up my numbers. Hooray.

Reactions: 5 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. I wasn't warned about steroids, and it took me a while to work out that my sudden high BG readings and a two-week course of oral steroids were related. I made a resolution then always to find out myself about any medicine's effects on BG, not wait for the doctor to warn me.

Kate

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
It seems to be well researched and documented, shame doctors can't remind patients. Still, at least we are reminded now.