Better to be diagnosed young?

Jenni_1984

Hi all,

It's hard these days not to know several people personally - or through a friend/colleague, etc - someone who has type 1, or indeed type 2. I was diagnosed age 6 so it's difficult, impossible nearly, to remember what my life was like when I didn't have diabetes. All through the major 'incidents' in my life my diabetes has been with me; puberty, teenage years, my partying days (I still have quite a bit of party left in me at 25, although it's calmed down),etc and now adult life.

A lot of the people I speak to who have problems in controlling their diabetes were diagnosed during their teenage years or as an adult. I regularly meet up with a school friend, who was diagnosed more or less at the same time as me, when we are in the local diabetic clinic and he has never had any significant issues with his condition - just like me. We are both very hypo aware and sugar level control is second nature - it's our life because we've had it so long and it's done without much thought.

I suppose this is more of an observation of mine and I wondered if anyone agreed or disagreed with me. Anyone been diagnosed at a young age and feel the same? Or maybe entirely differently?

I would put my good control and general health down to my mum. She was very regimented in my control - but not to the extent that I didn't have a life or hated her for it. I suppose I have a lot to thank her for because she's set me up for life. I also think because I don't really know any other way than being diabetic that I never had the big lifestyle change. It's always the no sugar products I purchase and I automatically adjust my insulin depending on what my movements are and I don't find it requires a blood test. The trauma (if that's what I can call it) of being diagnosed diabetic was all taken on by my mum. When someone said I had to inject every day for the rest of my life I just shrugged my shoulders, said "ok" and went back to colouring in! Whereas my mum I think just about fainted.

Wondered what people thought? Has it been a blessing in disguise to be diagnosed so young? Are there any parents of young children who would agree with this? I can't imagine what it must be like to have a child who is diabetic. I salute you as the responsibility and worry must be frightful.

Thanks for reading,

A ponderous Jenni

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)

Jenni_1984

Re: !

Debloubed said:
Hi Jenni, I think I was the same in my mid 20's, never tested and thought I could predict my levels, and never had an hba1c over 8! never have done actually but I wish I knew then what I know now as I think I played a dangerous game. Maybe it's an age/maturity thing (no offence!) but I thought I was invincible in my 20's! but now in my 30's and a mother myself, I think more about why it is so important to test and also, as I am getting a pump soon, I MUST test otherwise they won't let me have one :wink: I often think about before I was diagnosed and I can't remember any difference really?! Other than, like you say, always opting for the sugar free varieties and saying no to sugar in coffee and tea etc but I carb count now and find it SO much more liberating and rewarding even!

Interesting post, thanks for starting it :D

I've thought about your reply and to be honest I find it hard not to take offence when you mention my maturity level! I certainly do not think that I am invincible and I think you are misunderstaning me on a gross level! I've re-read my post a quite a few times and find it very difficult to see where immaturity and a cavalier attitude towards a chronic illness are portrayed.

The point of the initial post was to generate a discussion on managing diabetes when diagnosed at an early age in comparison to being diagnosed when you can think back to the time when you didn't have the illness. My point being that a diagnosis in infancy and having the condition heavily managed and controlled by an adult - I feel - has given me a good base to work on as an adult with the condition.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i was diagnosed age 32yrs type 1 and im glad it didnt happen at a young age, im not sure i could have coped :D

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I tried to be a glass-half-full sort of person and thought that Khaleb being so young was better than being older. He doesn't know any other life than having diabetes. I have heard stories from people diagnosed in their teens and many describe it as quite a traumatic time.

The downside of being diagnosed young is that the younger you got it the longer you have it. Khaleb at 20 will have already had diabetes 20yrs. With risks of complications commonly arriving after 20+yrs that isn't a great thought, although it wouldn't be at 30 or 40 either.

Psychologically it might be better young but medically I think the later the better.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I'd have learnt the principles and controls better as a kid - we learn everything best as children. However, I'm glad I didn't have to go through school, puberty, university and growing up (probably in that order :oops: ) thinking about diabetes. I was diagnosed at 29 and was definitely mature and philosophical enough to not let it worry me and just get on with it.

Still, I want to control my levels better, and am still learning 4 years later!

So in conclusion.... both have their advantages, just depends how you wish to interpret them.

Jenni - I think you're probably a 'cup half full' person by the sounds of you post.

Sam.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Jen&Khaleb said:
Psychologically it might be better young but medically I think the later the better.

too true! I was 12 and have no memory of any torment, I just wanted to get on with it! well, I didn't want to per se but I was acutely aware I had no choice :D But then I am very glass half full in my approach to most things so that probably helped....and also, 20+ years ago, the early days treatment was very different to the treatment you can get today when diagnosed so that probably plays a big part in adjusting (as an adult or a child!)

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jess was diagnosed at age 4 and I don't think she remembers much of life without diabetes. She remembers feeling very ill and going to the hospital to stay there a few days when she was diagnosed. So I think her memories of life pre-diabetes was that of feeling very unwell. Like others have said I think there are advantages to either side but I just wish that she could have experienced a childhood carefree like most other children before she was lumped with this responsibility. As a mother I try to do whatever I can to make sure she enjoys a chilhood without feeling limited by her diabetes but at the same time keeping her healthy. I hope that when she reaches the age of 25 she can feel the same way and say what Jenni has said about her Mum :)

glitterzoe

I was diagnose when I was 5, I kinda remember going into hospital and thats about it, I think your right Jenni I have found it easyer in later life being diagnosed early (I am now 36) but some things cant be avoided ( the lumpy injection site! no matter how hard I try theres just not enough of me to go round 4 times a day :lol: ) and the other onsets that can and do come with diabetese in its long term effects. But I think that all round I wouldnt like to have been diagnosed 21 years ago not being a child as what I have heard it was more difficult for adults then than now. :p :p :p

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
from talking to friends and my own experience I'd have rather been diagnosed young mainly because the "experts" seem incapable of making any sort of informed decision on prognosis. Which leaves the 25 to 35ish's stuck for quite a while (or until you find this site) although that said my phobia of needles was much worse when I was a sprog

lilibet

I think my desire for control is very much based on my personality. Maturity wise I , of course, have grown up a bit, though I do also still like a party and was drinking Gin until 4.50am last weekend :oops: so..... I dont think I would have coped any less with the mechanics but am glad I didnt get it psychologically.

Maybe being very young you wouldnt understand but it must be horrible for the double figures/teens to get it at that point because its when your life as you dictate it starts to come into play Moreover, control is pretty horrid due to hormones and then you have to jump ship to Adult services when aged 16 or whatever, which must be quite difficult too

I cant imagine the life I've 'had' being as well lived if I was Diabetic then ( University bars....) and to be honest I dont really want it now
However, if I had to choose an age to be T1 then now than then would be best (for me) I suppose. In fact, maybe LADA aged 78 would be better? :lol:

(PS, NO OFFENCE meant to anyone with LADA, anyone getting diagnosed later in life etc etc)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
However, if I had to choose an age to be T1 then now than then would be best (for me) I suppose. In fact, maybe LADA aged 78 would be better?

(PS, NO OFFENCE meant to anyone with LADA, anyone getting diagnosed later in life etc etc

No offence taken Though I've still got a good twenty years before I get to 78.
I extremely glad that I didn't get have it in childhood. I know that there are people around of my age who have had it since childhood and have no complications but back in the 1950s diabetes care was not what it is now. The odds that I'd be here and fit and 'healthy' are not that great.
I'm also glad that adolescent rebellion didn't carry the risks of future severe complications .I'm happy that I was able to have very normal pregnancies and a family life where I didn't have to worry about my children having to cope with my hypos.
However, even getting LADA at an older age had it's cost to me My career, along with its income and a great deal of my pension. I gave it up because I thought I was 'burnt' out and decided to start a new life in France. In retrospect the symptoms of fatigue and inability to cope were caused by high blood sugars.. My doctor didn't even think to test me for diabetes. The classic symptoms didn't come until later.
Oh to turn the clock back and know what I know now. (I'd still be working and probably not on this forum)

Jenni_1984

Thank you all for posting replies to my thread. It's been interesting to see the different perspectives and ideas we all have about diabetes and how being diagnosed at different ages has affected us/our children/friends.

I don't think an age exists where it's 'easier' - and not just for the person who is diagnosed. Lets be honest - it's not easy at all! At different ages we've all got different responsibilities and our families and loved ones have different levels of responsibility to us.

I definitely agree that the earlier the diagnosis then the concern over the long term health implications associated with diabetes is far greater. I remember being at the dentist a few years back and he said "Oh you know that diabetics can be more prone to gum disease"...I just thought- add it to the long list of everything else I'm more prone to! I suppose you just work with what you've got and do the best for you, don't you? Although I know there are people who have lived with diabetes half the years I have and have had suffered some of the problems associated with diabetes.

I am very much a 'glass half full' kind of person and everyday I feel lucky for the life that I have and the people I have in it with me. My mantra has always been that I am a person with diabetes, not a diabetic person. There are far more interesting and shocking things about me than my wee friend diabetes!

Thanks so much,

Jenni