Beware the Bacon

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This stuff is just lazy journalism to fill the void during Trumps Christmas vacation. It neatly sidesteps the real and existing problems of over population and climate change.
To get cancer from bacon you need the genetic susceptibility , a corn passage time of 2weeks and a consumption of 5kg a day. ( note: these figures are not accurate, I just made them up for impact). Nitrates/triles are not in the same league as cigarettes and alcohol.
Unfortunately it is not the journalism that is the problem here. Some people have gone to a lot of expense and trouble doing studies to prove the link to cancer, and this is indicative of another agenda in action IMHO. First it targets only meat products and ignores the occurrence of these compounds in other foods. They did not measure anything, merely used a food questionnaire to guesstimate the presence and quantity of each compound regardless of what the compounds actually were i.e. a study sausage will always contain <x> of nitrates, but which nitrate (sodium nitrate, potassium nitrate) is not factored in. There are over 140 nitrile compounds used in food preservation but are treated as just one entity. These compounds are also in drinking water and cheese and yoghurts so again this is poor methodology. I was surprised to discover that hamburgers and beefburgers were classed as red meat and not as processed meat - another serious flaw I think.

Finally we have several institutions all seemingly doing this type of study to give an air of independance and scientific proof, but this is false. In one case the cover study copied the text in their 'conclusion' from an earlier NIH report done in 2015 that I linked here previously. This same NIH also reappears in another supposedly 'new; study published in 2017 by Queens Belfast uni, but reading their methadology they own up to using the same questionnaire, methods, response database and guesstimates from the NIH report of 2015 and bingo they get the same conclusions. This is not lazy - it is deliberate.

https://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j1957

M

Member496333

It needs to beware. It’s Sunday morning, pretty much the only day of the week I might fancy breakfast, and I have some bacon in the fridge :hungry:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to Sky News this morning we need to ditch the bacon and take up with porridge instead. Apparently is is very low sugar, low fat and has most beneficial fibre to fill us up in the morning. The presenter (Steven Dixon who is a T1D himself) kept trying to turn back to the question of sugars, and pointed out that some of us use very unhealthy toppings, but he made little inroads sgainst the nutrition expert who discounted these as matters of personal choice, No a single mention of carbs though, but an agreement that rolled oats is better then the instant porridge sachets.

Bacon is off the menu and no longer politically correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Ponchu

Two thoughts

1. I’ve made bacon at home. It’s time consuming & I’ve purchased it regularly. I eat it 7 mornings a week.

2. Dr Malhotra has been pushing for healthy eating & has said a lot of good things

He’s also now looking to the same source that got the western world in trouble: politicians.

I hope he doesn’t become The Anointed.

Human nature doesn’t change.

Politicians are not the answer.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Two thoughts

1. I’ve made bacon at home. It’s time consuming & I’ve purchased it regularly. I eat it 7 mornings a week.

2. Dr Malhotra has been pushing for healthy eating & has said a lot of good things

He’s also now looking to the same source that got the western world in trouble: politicians.

"The Anointed"?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You mean you haven't seen this..? Its brill

Aye, I've seen it but I still don't get why the member hopes A. Malhotra does not become the anointed. Perhaps I'm forgetting something in the video?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aye, I've seen it but I still don't get why the member hopes A. Malhotra does not become the anointed. Perhaps I'm forgetting something in the video?
Did you not see that Dr M was all anti bacon fairly recently.. he never responded to tweets but was published in the Grauniad.. saying that nitrites are cancer causing devils and bacon should be cleansed of them forthwith. Seems to have died a death with the Eat Lancet taking over but he sounded a bit pontificaty about it...

Ponchu

Hey I hope I’ve not offended anyone about Dr Malhotra.

If you look to govt (politicians) for your answers, you’ll get “interested” view points; funded, Lobby’d, $ influenced.

It leads to trouble.

He is doing the same thing Ancel Keys did—even if I agree w his opinions, it’s trouble.

“We cannot solve problems by using the same kind of thinking, we used when we created them.”

- Albert Einstein

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Did you not see that Dr M was all anti bacon fairly recently.. he never responded to tweets but was published in the Grauniad.. saying that nitrites are cancer causing devils and bacon should be cleansed of them forthwith. Seems to have died a death with the Eat Lancet taking over but he sounded a bit pontificaty about it...

No! I missed that. I'd hate to have to strike him from my Dream Team of boffins.

Reactions: jjraak

Ponchu

As said previous, why just discuss meat. Why ignore all the other sources of carcinogenic chemicals in all our food
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0031942200944376
Isothiocyanide is very poisonous I believe, so stop eating broccoli, brussels, and cabbages. Food and water is also stuffed full of nitrates and nitrtiles from agricultural processes such as lightning fixation, muck spreading, fertiliser application, and car exhaust fumes, also airplane contrails. The very air we breathe is full of nitrogen products. I found a pot of brussels left over from Xmas day, and they were certainly generating isothiocyanates galore. Its what gives the pungent aroma, along with hydrogen sulphide which is also deadly and would kill quicker than any cancer if given the chance. But we live with it and avoid slurry pits.

You ask a question. It’s legitimate to ask.

The Global Warming “settled” science has 50 years of 100% failed predictions. Al Gore has gotten wealth from the green companies. Global Warming became “climate change” after a few years of cooling.

Next, politicians are competing for votes using “climate change”

Disagreement is demonized as they lecture us from private jets. They demand scientific scrutiny be condemned.

Most all are against pollution.

Vegan.

Food industry.

Diabetes industry.

Now some of the docs who supported the global warming movement without question are seeing the intrusion into the meat industry and are in a tough position.

Stomach gas from cows destroying the environment is the new deception pushed by vegan.

Vegan is not a food choice but a psychological need to control.

I, and most people, believe in freedom.

If you enjoy a vegan diet, I defend your choice.
I don’t want to control anyone’s diet, family, sex, social life etc.

If you seek to coerce your diet upon me or my family, like the U.N, politicians food industry, Pharma etc , you’re in for a fight.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two thoughts

The Annointed? As in anointed in oil, perchance? I call that basting meself

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You ask a question. It’s legitimate to ask.

The Global Warming “settled” science has 50 years of 100% failed predictions. Al Gore has gotten wealth from the green companies. Global Warming became “climate change” after a few years of cooling.

Next, politicians are competing for votes using “climate change”

Disagreement is demonized as they lecture us from private jets. They demand scientific scrutiny be condemned.

Most all are against pollution.

Vegan.

Food industry.

Diabetes industry.

Now some of the docs who supported the global warming movement without question are seeing the intrusion into the meat industry and are in a tough position.

Stomach gas from cows destroying the environment is the new deception pushed by vegan.

Vegan is not a food choice but a psychological need to control.

I, and most people, believe in freedom.

If you enjoy a vegan diet, I defend your choice.
I don’t want to control anyone’s diet, family, sex, social life etc.

If you seek to coerce your diet upon me or my family, like the U.N, politicians food industry, Pharma etc , you’re in for a fight.
You and whose army? Sadly, even WHO has been nobbled by the vegans and the UN too. in the UK our politicians have been having meetings with the consortium behind EAT/ The EU seems sold on these ideas too. Money talks.

Armageddon is coming to a supermart near you - Sainsburys is already dedicating an aisle exclusively to vegan products in most of their stores, and even Aldi is converting an aisle or two. The Canadian version of Eatwell has been updated, and it now has no meat or dairy mentioned at all. The ADA is about to do the same, and here in the UK we adopt the SAD from ADA as Eatwell.
https://www.foodnavigator.com/Artic...cymakers-A-healthy-diet-is-a-sustainable-diet
Note Francesco Branca is part of the vegan consortium EAT, but speaks for WHO in that report

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46710071

D

Deleted member 308541

We are now going through five kilos of bacon a fortnight at present as we have a couple of visitors.

Meat eaters arise and fight the vegan scourge before you loose your rights.

M

Member496333

Honestly I think I am going to think about quitting bacon. Or at least make great efforts to source it “uncured”. I already buy outdoor bred bacon, but it seems that nearly everything is cured with these chemicals. I wasn’t previously too aware of the potential implications.

I respect Aseem Malhotra greatly, and his opinions carry a lot of weight with me. I can’t pick and choose which bits of his advice to listen to just because I like bacon.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly I think I am going to think about quitting bacon. Or at least make great efforts to source it “uncured”. I already buy outdoor bred bacon, but it seems that nearly everything is cured with these chemicals. I wasn’t previously too aware of the potential implications.

I respect Aseem Malhotra greatly, and his opinions carry a lot of weight with me. I can’t pick and choose which bits of his advice to listen to just because I like bacon.

I can when he has been mislead by the extremely badly worked through IARC meta study of epidemiological "evidence" of vague association which is then used to promote an anti meat agenda...